TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the Tacoma calipers will clear my 8" x 15" x 3.5" backspaced wheels without using the current 1.5" spacers? My kid's 2000 Taco has factory 15" alloys... sooo.... just wondering.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind, won't work. The wheel speed hole dimple barely hits the caliper. In fact, I'd forgotten that's how I ended up with these wheels. Logan ordered the wrong wheel, had them on his old Taco for like 2 minutes and they hit the calipers. Duh!!! If I had half a mind I'd be dangerous!!

Calling Colin!! What BS wheel are you running? Do u have spacers?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Glad I could help ya with that problem Ted. :lmao: You could clearance the caliper.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I have been struggleing with this same issue.

I want to put FROR's tacoma brake kit on my 85 but I can't afford new wheels and tires. Everything I read says you need 16" or bigger wheels but my thing is this : the early tacomas (96, 97, 98 ect) could run any 15" wheel out there without issue, and near as I can tell all tacoma brakes mount the exact same so why cant you just run brakes from one of those trucks and be done?

I have asked everyone, including fror, that question and nobody can answer it lol

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Of course I also asked if I did get bigger wheels if I could jump to gen1 tundra brakes for even better brakeing. They are bolt on for tacomas so it seems they would bolt on here too and the cost difference is minimal between them so I might as well get the bigger stuff.

Nobody can answer that question either :(

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course I also asked if I did get bigger wheels if I could jump to gen1 tundra brakes for even better brakeing. They are bolt on for tacomas so it seems they would bolt on here too and the cost difference is minimal between them so I might as well get the bigger stuff.
Exactly what I was thinking... So yeah, unless I inherit a ton of money I ain't gettin' wheels, tires, gears anytime soon!!! :eek:

I run 2000 Taco 15x7" OEM rims and they fit fine...guess they made a 16x8 variety too?
IDK :confused:

My steelie would work with a little whittling like James mentioned, or some grinding away of the wheel dimple edge or both. It appears the shape of the wheel dish is the issue. My kid's OEM 15" alloy is shaped differently on the backside, for obvious reasons.. so, even if I had a differnt backspaced steelie it would interefere anyway. (yeah, I took it off and tried it on his truck while he was here for t-giving) :D

Okay.. so my choices are:
Run the caliper on the outboard side of the knuckle caliper mounts. Yotaman and others have been doing it for years
or
Sky's high dollar spacer that goes behind the bearing hub
or
Stay as is with the 1.5" wheel spacers
or
Get a second mortgage and buy a Diamond, gears, 4d's, etc... Yeah!! :p

Poli$hing this $A turd is depre$$ing.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Never mind, won't work. The wheel speed hole dimple barely hits the caliper. In fact, I'd forgotten that's how I ended up with these wheels. Logan ordered the wrong wheel, had them on his old Taco for like 2 minutes and they hit the calipers. Duh!!! If I had half a mind I'd be dangerous!!

Calling Colin!! What BS wheel are you running? Do u have spacers?
At one time i had 15x8 3.75" bs no spacer w/ a 35x12.50

Ground the caliper and the wheel to make it clear.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
No, just spacers so the 37s can steer more than 5*.

Yes, tundra 13wl calipers.

If you lucked into a $100 complete junkyard brake setup like I did, and kept an eye out for a set of $200 fjc or tacoma 17s or any toyota 6lug 17 it would be reasonably affordable.

Tires aint cheap though. :(

·
235 Posts
I have the fror taco brakes on my 83 axle with ifs hubs and I've had 3 or 4 different wheel setups and all have cleared so far. 15x8 up to my 15x10.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts