TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big Decision Coming up
FJ or Taco? looking at '08-'10 for both but not sure which to get.... pro's and con's of both pleasee!?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Fjs have the a trac system..crawl and wheel really well stock.. Ez to upgrade, tons of support and insane-well organized meets. 17k obo will get u an insane one right now on socalfjcruiserforums.com
Rear seAts don't fold down all the way, inside fender buldge issues w/ toy blamin mods. Costly windshields,...

Tacos don't 4x as well...stock vs stock. Lighter, easier to sell?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'd love to have an FJ. But, they are too short to sleep in.:(

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Ive seen FJs blow a lot of rear diffs. The taco rear end has some kind of support in it that the FJ doesnt (I dont know the details as I dont have either). But like mentioned, stock, the FJs are decent on the trail. Fat and heavy though.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Ive seen FJs blow a lot of rear diffs. The taco rear end has some kind of support in it that the FJ doesnt (I dont know the details as I dont have either). But like mentioned, stock, the FJs are decent on the trail. Fat and heavy though.
Early 2007 FJ Cruisers & Tacoma's w/E-Locker differential; there was a material change to the ring & pinion made by Toyota resulting in a LOT of blown differentials. Toyota would honor them under warranty if you Guilted/Annoyed/Proved that there was a factory defect. It is the same 8" E-Lock differential from 1997 design; functional if a bit under rated for 35" tires. Newer ones ~2010 might have the newer 4-Runner design rear diff; haven't read up on the newest year models.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Big Decision Coming up
FJ or Taco? looking at '08-'10 for both but not sure which to get.... pro's and con's of both pleasee!?
Never had an FJ, but test drove one when I was trading in my '06 Tacoma PreRunner for 4wd. I wanted to love it. I really liked the mechanical actuator vs pushbutton.

What stopped me was three things: 1) really bad blind spots from the rear pillars. Felt like driving a cave, and my vehicle is for travel on the highway, then off road. I just really like the Taco for driveability and comfort 2) carrying capacity -- Taco wins hands down there for extended camping 3) Some issues a number were having back then with inner fender wall failures -- not sure if that was a real thing or just a few yahoos that abused them.

I already loved the OR Tacos from my PreRunner, and knew how capable it was, and I have NEVER been sorry I got an '09 4by. With a few upgrades, IMHO the Taco is a great combined traveling and wheeling vehicle. I have never regretted the wheelbase, and I do wheel it. OTOH, the FJ is a great vehicle too and you can't go wrong. I may get a used one in a few years to build out for local wheeling. It's horses for courses IMO.

·
Registered
631 Posts
To me it depends on which taco your looking at. If its a 4 door taco I say get it. If ext cab taco then I say go with the FJ. Either one im sure you will be happy with.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Depends on what you want to use them for IMO. Do you need the cargo space of a bed or not? From what I have seen the Tacos are more reliable on the moderate trails than the FJ. A combination of the heavy weight of the FJ, weaker rear diff, and lower ground clearance, not to mention the vulnerable rear suspension components means they need to be built up more to be taken reliably on the same trails as the Tacos which are built smaller. A taco on 33's can wheel with an FJ on 35's all day long. If you hop in an FJ on 33s and try to follow a Taco on 35's, its gonna be a hard day on your FJ. I have wheeled trails without a single problem, without getting hung up, stuck, or damaging anything on my Taco whereas the only two FJs on that run both broke big and had to be winched, dragged, etc over obstacles and off the trail. As much as I like the look of the FJ, from what I have seen I don't think they are as stout a platform at the Tacoma if you are going to wheel them very hard.

If you're a forest road wheeler and don't plan on taking them into the rocks, both will do just fine. So think about what you need it to do and how you plan to use it. The rear seats in both the Taco and the FJ leave something to be desired in terms of comfort and space. But the Taco's are easier to get in and out of the back seat because of the 4-door double cab variety being an option. I own a D-cab and an extra cab Taco and the difference is night and day in terms of space and comfort in the back seat. I have ridden in the back of an FJ and it wasn't very comfortable or very easy to get in and out of. Same is true for the ex-cab Taco. The D-cab Tacos win hands down if rear passenger comfort is a factor.

Also, even with the shorter wheelbase on the FJ, the breakover angle is still better in the Tacos due to the higher ground clearance they start out with and the location of the low points beneath them. So thinking the shorter WB in the FJ is an advantage off the road is a misnomer. It's not just about an exact number of ground clearance in inches either, its about where the low points underneath the rig are positioned, whether they are shaped in such a way as to rub off or get hung up on things like rocks, and how many of them there are. From what I have seen on the trails, the FJ just hangs up more.

My wife and I have long been staunch Toyota fans, and when the FJ came out, we both secretly without the other knowing about it went to the dealership and test drove one. A week later we told eachother we had driven one, and we both had experienced the same response... we just felt like we couldn't see out of the FJ well enough to drive it safely. Visibility was horrible in our opinions. We both really liked the look of the FJ and really wanted to buy one. But in the end I am very glad we didn't and instead bought a D-cab Taco. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Its not a very good decision to base YOUR choice on things said by someone else.

Taco guys will say Tacoma hands down, and hardcore FJ guys will say get the FJ...it is good, however, to see some of the pro's from people who own them. I test drove both recently before I made my decision to buy the Tacoma. FJ's are rather large and do have their share of blind spots as any SUV will suffer from.

IMHO get out and drive both! For a family friendly vehicle...I'd say get the FJ because with very little modifications they can not only shuttle you down to the local wally world to retrieve a gallon of milk, but can also be a VERY capapble offroad rig for weekend outings with the family...(what I mean by that is a weekend out with the guys :) ). BUT...

You sacrafice the bed area of a truck, and along with that goes most of your man-pride and feeling of self-worth...but if your married then chances are you've already lost that anyway.

To each their own.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have owned an FJ and I loved it. I didn't love the shorter wheel base for offroading. If I could get another Newer Toyota I would go for the 4 door/short bed Tacoma. Don't get me wrong, the FJ was great but we had some teeter moments that I never would have had in the Tacoma and that is scary in a $20k + dollar vehicle. All depends on your wants vs. needs. I would buy another FJ in a heart beat if I had disposable income, but the 4door Tacoma would come first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts