TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stock seats in my 99 Taco Limited, and the driver's seat is starting to get a little uncomfy. I saw the Scion XB seat swap thread, but I don't want to do anything that fancy or involved!

I'm wondering, is it possible simply to swap the driver and passenger's side seats without having to do any cutting, grinding, or welding?

The only issue I could come up with was that the recline lever would probably be smashed against the center console and thus very awkward to get to. And the lever to slide the seat back/forth would be on the 'wrong' side ... but I can live with this. Not sure if the seatbelt hardware would need to be rejiggered.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I like this idea! I'll have to look at my truck.

I guess these seats weren't designed for my 270lbs:rolleyes:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm pretty sure it'd be the same amount of work as doing an XB seat swap. You'd have to swap the tracks because the feet would not work.
A track swap is not difficult, but it does require some very minor grinding and welding. If you're doing a track swap then you may as well do the XB seats. I found new ones for $50 on CL.
I'm in Santa Rosa but I'm sure someone in Santa Cruz could help if you can't make it up here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the details. You saved me the trouble of getting my tools out of storage and spending a few hours monkeying around with seats (and inevitably vacuuming since I rarely take the seats off), only to discover the feet won't match up.

I'm 6'5" so it's doubtful that Scion seats will fit me well enough to warrant the hassle; I had tried out a few seats at my local racing shop and found some that fit me very well, so if I were going to go to that level of trouble I'd just as soon get some really nice seats that fit perfectly.

In the meantime, probably time for me to get one of these and really impress the ladies:

·
Registered
214 Posts
You're right that at 6'5" the XB seats are definitely a no go. Many have used Celica seats which aren't as tall but I don't know by how much.

Best option may be to use Celica seats and have someone cut/weld the feet over instead of doing a track swap. You could probably loose an inch from the Celica seat height and it'd be easy to do, just take it to someone with decent welding capability.
A local welder would probably charge around $50 for the whole swap.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just want to point out to you and anyone else considering a scion seat swap - that they do have a height limit. Atleast the seats I have do. If you're a tall feller' then that might not be the route to go.

I however am short and I really like the seats. They are comfy and help me see over the steering wheel. Not a really hard swap either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have stock seats in my 99 Taco Limited, and the driver's seat is starting to get a little uncomfy. I saw the Scion XB seat swap thread, but I don't want to do anything that fancy...
I do upholstery for a living and we often rebuild and enforce foam as well as replace panels. It can be done in a matter of hours and fairly inexpensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts