TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's my problem... I have an 86 4x4 pickup with a bad tranny. I don't care either way whether I keep the 4x4 or not, because its going to be my desert truck, so its not necessary (but would be nice). I need to know if I can bolt in a 2wd Tacoma tranny (from a 96 2.4L 5 lug) into it? Will the bellhousing from a Taco tranny bolt up to the 22r or do I need to use mine? Will my driveshaft bolt up to the Taco tranny or do I need the Tacoma driveshaft or is it just gonna be custom? I really just wanna get the truck running, so I'm hoping the Taco tranny will work cause I can pick it up for $150. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
no, a taco trans is from the 2.7L engine which is a 3vz, no an re series. A change in letter means a change in bellhousing, you have a w56 tranny right now and your trying to put in a r150. Im sure you could buy an adapter but its def. not a striaght swap

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
85runnerman said:
no, a taco trans is from the 2.7L engine which is a 3vz, no an re series. A change in letter means a change in bellhousing, you have a w56 tranny right now and your trying to put in a r150. Im sure you could buy an adapter but its def. not a striaght swap

I never investagated it but I herd one time that W56 would bolt up to the Taco bellhousing. But if this is true it wouldnt make any since for Marlin to make and adapter to bolt a Chain drive case to a Taco trannny.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
kyle said:
what about a 2.4L Tacoma tranny?

Im sure it the same tranny as in the 2.7, Not 100% positive on that but the only diffrence between the 2.7 and 2.4 is the 2.7 is a stroked out version of the 2.4.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
kyle said:
what about a 2.4L Tacoma tranny?
stomper is correct, same tranny

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
STOMPER said:
Thank you Sir. LOL
LOL, yea, after I sent that I said wtf? ...duh! I think my brain has gone numb :confused:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Hell im just happy someone agrees with me for once. :D

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
STOMPER said:
Hell im just happy someone agrees with me for once. :D
been getting a lot of flak for dumping your Taco? hee, hee

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Naaa Just no one ever agrees with me. Of course here latley I could care less. This stuff is just not as fun as it use to be. Ive even updated my sig to reflect my new additude. I guess ill get over it sooner or later. If I just had some MONEY to spend on the runner I could be Really happy again.
:D :D :D

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
trans

85runnerman said:
actually, the 2.7's have a W59, it's, from what I've read, the newer version of a W56. The only trucks that use an R series trans are the old turbo trucks, 3.0's, and 3.4's.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
trans

kyle said:
OK, here's my problem... I have an 86 4x4 pickup with a bad tranny. I don't care either way whether I keep the 4x4 or not, because its going to be my desert truck, so its not necessary (but would be nice). I need to know if I can bolt in a 2wd Tacoma tranny (from a 96 2.4L 5 lug) into it? Will the bellhousing from a Taco tranny bolt up to the 22r or do I need to use mine? Will my driveshaft bolt up to the Taco tranny or do I need the Tacoma driveshaft or is it just gonna be custom? I really just wanna get the truck running, so I'm hoping the Taco tranny will work cause I can pick it up for $150. Thanks for any help.
Man, if I were you, I'd call Marlin up and get an R151, I'm fairly sure it'll bolt up. Plus, you can get lower 1st gear sets, and it's a stout trans. That's just MHO. Peace, Wes

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your help guys. I've decided I don't need to have it driving right away because I still have my Tacoma, so I'm just gonna wait it out and find a good deal on the correct 4wd tranny for it. I've decided it will stay a 4x4!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Marlin is reputed to be very good at rebuilding the Toyota transmissions. It will run about $800 for your W56 to be rebuilt. Whatever you do, stay 4x4!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Marlin Crawler

calamaridog said:
Marlin is reputed to be very good at rebuilding the Toyota transmissions. It will run about $800 for your W56 to be rebuilt. Whatever you do, stay 4x4!
agreed, but I'd say he's probably 1 of the best to do Toyota transmissions. I was told by Dave that he's pretty secretive when it comes to rebuilding them. Dave said when he walks up to Marlin if he's building 1, Marlin stops what he's doing and won't start back until Dave walks off. Mine has been nothing but good to me, just my damn hydraulic system was being a PITA at 1st. Now everything is great. Plus, you can't get better customer service than from Marlin and his guys. I talked to Marlin the other day, that's seriously probably 1 of the nicest vendors I've ever dealt w/. I'd recommend him over any1. Peace, Wes

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I picked up a transmission today. I have a 22r so I actually need a G52/G54 not W56. But anyways, I picked it up for $200 and can't wait to get this thing bolted up to see how it really runs. If I have anymore tranny problems I'm going to yank the damn thing out and its going straight to Marlin to be rebuilt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
kyle
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing