TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Did you notice they say "big honkin tires" when refering to the Frontier? What exactly do they consider big? I think Toyota and Dodge have the largest stock wheel at 31".

·
Registered
148 Posts
Poor Nissan,falling behind the Tacoma again. But it did get 2nd place,but you know what they say, 2nd place is the 1st looser!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Tufemup said:
Did you notice they say "big honkin tires" when refering to the Frontier? What exactly do they consider big? I think Toyota and Dodge have the largest stock wheel at 31".
Depends on the tire option. My friend has the 15" rim with 265/70 tires which are 29.61" tall. The biggest (highest price) are the 265/65r17 which are 30.56" tall. Now they do offer a 265/70r16 which is what we have. So I guess it's bassed on rim size and deception caused by the trim.

Personally I dont like the nissan trucks. The body is ugly, the shifter is all loose right out of the lot. It felt more loose than my old '87 original trans with 300k+. That and their V6 engine of 2004 (my friends truck) is actually less powerfull at wheels than mine, and geared differently where it would suck to drive. Gas mileage sucks worse than mine too which I contribute to the gearing since he revs at 3k going 70mph. Not sure what his gears are though.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Oh, boy! 32"s on a truck with less clearance is soo much better. That and it sucks to build a full replacement bumper for the Frontier. The gril is part of the plactic bumper in front. My buddy tore up his bumper when he got hit by a car parking infront of him. The whole front (minus the headlights, and hood) are one peice. And on his it's falling off on one side because the bolts (plastic) got tore out when the guy backed out of the parking space. It's just sucks in my opinion

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know this may get me flamed, but I actually agree with what they said about the Ford. Although ancient in design, that little thing is a damn capable little 4x4. I owned one prior to my taco, and off road it was a dream. The only problem I had was reliability, which is why I went Taco. Everything on that damn truck would break except the engine. I also agree that paying $30k for a truck designed three decades ago is a tad excessive.

They hit the nail on the head w/ the Colorado. Like every other Chevrolet product, its interior sucks ass. nothing but gaudy clumps of cheap plastic.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
TacoTaco said:
I know this may get me flamed, but I actually agree with what they said about the Ford. Although ancient in design, that little thing is a damn capable little 4x4. I owned one prior to my taco, and off road it was a dream. The only problem I had was reliability, which is why I went Taco. Everything on that damn truck would break except the engine. I also agree that paying $30k for a truck designed three decades ago is a tad excessive.

They hit the nail on the head w/ the Colorado. Like every other Chevrolet product, its interior sucks ass. nothing but gaudy clumps of cheap plastic.
No flame here..... yet.

I actually liked the old Rangers when they where lifted and 31"s. Looked nice and actually wernt all that bad. Now the reliability is pretty bad :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
tbrown said:
For anyone who really care's the 05 Taco won another comparo with the new dakota, frontier,and the colorado, and ranger. It's a pretty good write up if you read the whole thing. Here's the intro page:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=104774
Ok noob question; what makes a truck more capable than others offroad? Edmunds was saying "this is good" "that is good," I'm just curious what makes a truck (esp Taco's) good? Just wondering; sorry I only have one off road trip under by noob belt. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Whats good in dirt:good ground clearance, lighter weight, 4x, locker(s), dirt inspired tires...among other things.

Some stuff might be opinion if the sa 'this is good.'

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
MililaniTaco said:
Ok noob question; what makes a truck more capable than others offroad? Edmunds was saying "this is good" "that is good," I'm just curious what makes a truck (esp Taco's) good? Just wondering; sorry I only have one off road trip under by noob belt. Thanks.

A very subjective question...Clearance first and formost, then armor, power, torque, suspension/ride quality...and the ability to perform "well" in most situations...if your are looking for a specifc off road capability then you need to build it, and the Tacos are a great platform for it!!Oh, yeah, and lets not forget reliability, durability and longevity!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
dougtrd said:
A very subjective question...Clearance first and formost, then armor, power, torque, suspension/ride quality...and the ability to perform "well" in most situations...if your are looking for a specifc off road capability then you need to build it, and the Tacos are a great platform for it!!Oh, yeah, and lets not forget reliability, durability and longevity!!!!!!!!!!!!
Small size also helps...lets you get into tighter spots, smaller turing radius etc. Small size can hurt in the mud dept. however, where big tires and big horsepower are required.

·
Registered
367 Posts
TacoTaco said:

I have to agree with you. I had a Ranger before getting my Taco and I absolutely loved it. It was very easy to mod. Very capable. Looked great. And never had a single problem out of it. Would still have it if I didn't need more space.

·
Registered
104 Posts
volley said:
I have to agree with you. I had a Ranger before getting my Taco and I absolutely loved it. It was very easy to mod. Very capable. Looked great. And never had a single problem out of it. Would still have it if I didn't need more space.
I agree-very capable. Like I said though, I had serious issues w/ reliability. I went through diff's, fuel pumps, sensors, slave cylnders etc etc. Not just once on most of those, but several times. I loved the truck, when it worked, but it just kept nickle and diming me to death. It looked great-4" lift, 33" BFG's, 4.0L. Miss that truck.

in regards to modding it, I agree with you, but w/ one exception. While parts/products were readily availible, lifting it was an issue. That torsion bar susp. made cheap lifts impossible. Where on a taco you can just slap in a set of spacers or coilovers, there really wasnt much of an option for the Ranger, minus cranking the T-bars, which meant a stiff ride. All the other lifts were drop bracket, and that gets expensive quick.

Ill shut up now about the Ranger....we are on a Tacoma web site, and Im sure there are folks out there who would be happy to make a big deal out of this thread talking about a ranger.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
I would hope thatthe members of this forum have matured enough to see the benefit in all platforms and it is nice to know what differnt trucks have in the pro and con department.
I like to hear about peoples experience with other trucks good or bad. Many of us are quite objective when it comes to this.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
I would hope thatthe members of this forum have matured enough to see the benefit in all platforms and it is nice to know what differnt trucks have in the pro and con department.
I like to hear about peoples experience with other trucks good or bad. Many of us are quite objective when it comes to this.
I'd hope we all are also. I would love to have a Ford F250 or 350 Xcab diesel but I dont have that kind of $$$$$. I love diesels and drove one when I worked at the airport. Loved them in the firedepartment also, but thats because I also had stobes and such. And opinions are like noses.... we all have them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts