TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that most of you know what project I have aqured, it's time for a build thread.

I bought a wrecked 2004 Double Cab Tacoma. It's in good shape with 90k on the clock (aside from damage from wreck).

TRD with rear locker and what ever else that includes. Being a standard guy I am going to have to get used to the automatic, but that's ok.

The build:

I was thinking of going with some OME 882's up front and maybe Dakars out back but I want to try out ToyTech, I like local.

The tires on it are some kind of wanna be AT that will be coming off as soon as I get the cash. I am not familiar with sizes but am rapidly catching up.
I'm thinking 285/75/16's BFG AT.

The truck will have to be put back to stock (body wise) or the wife will have my head, so no custom uber neat flat bed. grrr I already had like 10 designs picked out.

First things first.

Pics:
These first few images were taken by my cell phone sorry for the quality.
It was hit by a Dodge pickup dead centered on the passenger frame rail. "pinhead in a Dodge"

Needless to say the frame is toast.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went to the gettin place and got me a frame for it.

Then I went to where the truck is (my Father-in-Law's body shop) in Windsor and pulled the bed and shell to sell for scrap and what not. I'm gonna need all the money I can get.
It was cold and snowing and full of the suck.

What ever this thing is it's cracked and one of the hoses that goes to the gas tank is broken off. I think it's the EVAP something or other.

Pics of the cab after bed removal. Shouldn't be too hard to pull out.

I haven't been able to get the rear drivers door open because of the damage.

I think I am going to need a new Diff housing this one looks bent but it's not leaking. I will have to see what it looks like when I get it pulled out.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
We'll work on the wifey..... And yeah that housing is bent. Don't try and save it. Seriously. Otherwise you'll have a tire with the axle shaft flying past you at 45 mph down the road. Ask me how I know. ;)

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Yikes, evap codes suck :( i've been dealing with them in mine since the cab swap. Write down a very good diagram of what goes where before disconnecting those lines or they'll come back to haunt you!

FWIW: Its hard to base if the housing is bent or not off of that pic, since the angle is not dead on from the top. I wouldn't rule it out, but I also wouldn't get ahead of yourself with it.

·
20,355 Posts
X2, no way to really tell either way without some good measurements. I would do that soon though so you can start looking for a new one now if needed.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm sayin a nice flatbed with removable fiberglass bedsides. It will look stock untill you need it to work, then it's all business.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sayin a nice flatbed with removable fiberglass bedsides. It will look stock untill you need it to work, then it's all business.
I'm tryin to sell her on that one.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Kinda like a truck mullet.

Seriously, with as much as you guys camp and stuff, a nice expedition box would be sweeeeeet

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Kevin, PM Packrat, he has a silver double cab bed he is not using that he would probably part with cheap.

I just remembered him offering it to me over the summer when I did my cab swap, would be worth a shot at least.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ooo nate that's a great Idea!

I'm working on the expo bed thing. Andrea didn't absolutely say no when I suggested a Chaser bed to her.

It is 5k though.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crap a lot happened today!

The frame is in the garage waiting for parts.

Got the Tacoma up here to Denver so I can start on it.
Pics of it loaded. I drove it right up on the trailer no problems.

And a couple of it's new home for a while.

I got three doors pulled (I can't get the Drivers rear because of the damage)and the rear axle is ready to come out. The front suspension is soaking in PB Blaster and I pulled the rear seat and trim to have a look see what the rest of the damage is. Not bad for 3 hours I think.

·
20,355 Posts
Troy makes a good point. looks like you got a shit load done for 3hrs. Where is the shop, i may have to swing by and shoot the shit sometime and drop off that CV.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Troy makes a good point. looks like you got a shit load done for 3hrs. Where is the shop, i may have to swing by and shoot the shit sometime and drop off that CV.
at my house. 3 lights east of I-25 and Hampden then one block north.

The frames are 180 from each other on purpose. When I get everything off of the back of the frame I'm cutting it off. This gives me more room to play and it will be easier to get the cab off. When the motor comes out I can attack it from the back side and rotate the hoist 90 degrees so that I don't have to fight it as much. It will be a little bit of a pain swapping parts for a time, but maybe I'll change my mind after the new frame is rolling. I'm going to push it to the car wash across the street to give it a once over.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh yeah, Axle is off, Front suspension is off. I am going to get a rear housing after work, this one is just too beat up for my tastes. I have one located at a pic and pull but we will see what they want for it.

Goal for today:

rolling chassis, with a gas tank and brake lines. (That rear axle might be a bit of a pain though)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Didn't get the gas tank off but... It's a roller!

fought me the whole way too!

Didn't even use a cheater bar for this one to break. I've had it for years though so it's probably been stressed before.

How it sets now: I got the grill off, the oil, ps fluid, front diff, brakes, and radiator all drained. Ready to pull radiator before it gets dinged up.

Rack and Pinion is ready to come out, just have to undo the high pressure line.

I was in the middle of pulling the front end parts and realized the truck was balancing on the forward jack stands:eek: I only have the two and then two of the tire jacks that came in the Tacoma and my 4 runner.
So I made some extra ones

They are pretty ghetto but they do the trick, and they are only wider than the frame by 1/4".

The frame I bought from Russ had a problem with the passenger lower control arm....It wouldn't come out. So we had to torch the sleeve out. It was the only way. Melted all the rubber bushings and what not too. So I got a little carried away with the cutting and now I have to fill in the control arm mounts.

It'll buff out.

Here's where I was at 11am. I'm going to use the rear housing for now. I can't afford another one at the moment. I think it will be ok. I need to pull the third and push out the dent then weld a hole shut where gear oil is seeping through, but it doesn't look bent. I put a straight edge on it as best I could to check it and it seemed straight.

I'll put the rack and pinion on tomorrow and push it over to the car wash for a quick spritz

14hours in.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts