TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed a 5-speed swap into my 02 tacoma. It runs and drives but 4wd (the front ADD diff) will not engage and the light keeps blinking. I swapped out the push button case behind the auto for a j-shift case as well. I spliced the neutral safety switch wires together to make the truck run due to the automatic ECU. I also wired in the transfer 4wd position switch from the push button case to the side of the j-shift case so that shouldn't be an issue. The push button trucks come with a separate 4wd ecu to control the ADD diff that the j-shift trucks don't have as well. I am not good at understanding wiring diagrams so I was hoping for some help. Here are the diagrams. Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
Did you check to make sure the 4WD switch was hooked up correctly and functioning? When you shift into 4WD, do you shift first then press the 4WD button? If all that is operating normally, it might be the position switch for the original transfer shift motor that is causing the issue. Try wiring that into the 4WD position and see if that makes the ECU happy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunatley I've already tried that. The button had no effect at anytime. I'm thinking that 4wd won't engage due to something from the auto tranny park/nuetral switches but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you don't have the 4WD ECU you will need to figure out how much power is supposed to run the motor for the ADD and wire your 4WD button to most likely a relay to supply the correct power to it. If it's 12V no problem just tap into a 12V source if it's an odd voltage you may need to find the closest thing and step it down. Just make sure you don't give it too little power it will burn the motor up worse than a little too much. I know this is from 6 months ago but if your still dealing with it, hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts