TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am new here so first let me say hello and thank you to everyone for all the informative information here. On with some background info.

I currently own a 2500 heavy duty crew cab long bed chevy pick up. The thing is a monster, 6.0 4x4, its huge and loud and I love it. Problem is, I do not tow anymore and the damn thing gets 9-10 MPG average for me (60/40 city highway). Almost every single red cent I own goes to gas.. litterally about 100 bucks a week driving 250 miles a week to and from work. I cant even go to rodeos anymore since it costs 25 bucks to get there and back in gas :eek: .

Now, this is what I am using my truck for. Since I do not tow anymore, my truck is mainly a commuter vehicle. I use it to take stuff to the dump for my parents, and maybe 2-3 times a year it will see about 2-3 inches of snow, thats it. Also, my family owns 300 acres about 250 miles away from where I live, so 5-7 times a year i drive 500 miles round trip and do some 4 wheeling on our property in WV.

I am a Chevy guy through and through, and it took a lot of convincing to look at a different brand, but unfortunatly GM doesnt offer what I need right now. What do you guys think I am better off with? Do you think a Tacoma is right for me? 4Runner? 6 cyl? 4Cyl? 8Cyl(4runner)? Obviously 4x4 with a Z71 package... Gr.. I mean TRD package :D Do you think the MPG increase from a 23 foot long 3/4 ton chevy to a Tacoma or 4Runner will be worth the agrivation to sell my truck and find a Toyota?

Thanks in advance guys, and sorry for the lengthy post. This truck is just killing me now, and I dont want to buy a truck I am going to hate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Before this truck, my last two primary daily drivers were a '97 F-350 4x4 crew cab longbox and a '99 Dodge 2500 4x4 quad cab longbox. Both were diesels, so they got decent fuel mileage, but I don't miss them as commuter vehicles.

I need a big pickup for some things, so I kept my old '79 F-350 and bought my Toyota for a daily driver/play rig. Couldn't be happier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh.. Im sorry, I forgot to mention that I do go hunting 2 times a year (deer) and I do like to camp out of my truck when I go to my property. What size beds do the extended cabs have? double cabs? Which is better for off roading, the Xtra or double, or does it not matter?

Thanks guys, I think I can get the specs and what not off this website, I just need to know if that truck can do what I need it to, and how much gas ill be saving by switching.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
If you ever get a chance to come to Clay County ,WV you will think that you just entered a testing ground for Tacoma's. There are alot of Bear runners here and hunting and trapping is a way of life for this poor community and the Tacoma is the truck of choice around here.
All of the oil well tenders also use nothing but Tacoma's. That should tell you something. As far as the specs go for them there are so many options and designs that you would be better off going to a dealer and looking at them and test driving them then having someone trying to tell you about it. Good luck on finding what you want and yes, the gas mileage with a Tacoma would be much better then that Chev or GMC, Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
camarofanman said:
Now, this is what I am using my truck for. Since I do not tow anymore, my truck is mainly a commuter vehicle. I use it to take stuff to the dump for my parents, and maybe 2-3 times a year it will see about 2-3 inches of snow, thats it. Also, my family owns 300 acres about 250 miles away from where I live, so 5-7 times a year i drive 500 miles round trip and do some 4 wheeling on our property in WV.
Now if you're gonna have a Tacoma in WV, you need to make sure the truck comes with the WV Tacoma package. This will include multiple CB antennas, a brush guard, more external lighting, and last but not least...a dual stall dogbox in the pickup bed!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Get one of the new Taco's and you will love it. I used to have a 4x4 Dodge Ram and couldn't afford to drive it. I've got an '05 TRD off road access cab V6 6 spd. and these trucks rip off road and on. I spend winters in Baja beating the crap out of it then back on the freeway and cruise at 75 and it's smooth as glass. They're super fun to drive - more fun than a big truck I think and have lot's of power. Mine has a 6 ft. bed and with a shell on it I can put tons of gear in it. Just put some good tires on it -I put on some 265/75/16 BFG AT's. I get 22 MPG on the road -bout 19 combined.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
Since you do go hunting a couple times a year I would think that would eliminate the 4 runner. If you narrowed it down to just the Tacoma, then ask yourself do you need 4 full seats or would 2 and a small extra cab work. If you need a 6' bed and 4 full seats you can opt for the long bed 4 dr. If not extra cab come standard with a 6' bed and d-cabs have a 5' beds.

As you aware they will drive much different then the 6.0 you have. You'll miss the low end torque. However, the 4.0 in the Taco's isn't a slouch and has plenty of pick-up.

As for mileage you should just about double what your getting now. Should see in the 17-18's around town and about 20-21 on the highway. The 4 banger will get about 2-3 mpg better but is a noticeable power drop on the extra cabs (not offered for the d-cabs).

Fit and finish is better on the Toyota's then on the Chevy's and people will argue reliability with any brand, but on the whole should be better then the Chevy as well.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright, thanks guys. Think im gonna say screw my friends, and start looking for a xtracab small box. I want something capable off road, not something that NEEDS 4wd to go through a puddle like my big ole chevy. My farm has a decent amount of hill climbing, in fact my favorite trail starts with a 1/8 mile long steep hill climb with turns. Does the 4cyl have enough ass to move the truck up hill, or should I be looking at a 6 anyway since I am gonna be doing a lift/tires.

What should I be looking for when I get one of these trucks? I know I am going to end up putting 33s on it later on down the road. Do these things come with different gears like a domestic, or are they the same? Does the manual last longer than the automatic, or are they both well built? These things have problems popping CV shafts like the chevys do, or are they SAS? Im only gonna spend what I still owe on the chevy (bout little under 19000), so I will be looking at 02-04s probably not an 05.

Ahhh.. help me.. This is like a whole new world going from domestic v8s to these "IMPORTED" jobs :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
camarofanman said:
alright, thanks guys. Think im gonna say screw my friends, and start looking for a xtracab small box. I want something capable off road, not something that NEEDS 4wd to go through a puddle like my big ole chevy. My farm has a decent amount of hill climbing, in fact my favorite trail starts with a 1/8 mile long steep hill climb with turns. Does the 4cyl have enough ass to move the truck up hill, or should I be looking at a 6 anyway since I am gonna be doing a lift/tires.

What should I be looking for when I get one of these trucks? I know I am going to end up putting 33s on it later on down the road. Do these things come with different gears like a domestic, or are they the same? Does the manual last longer than the automatic, or are they both well built? These things have problems popping CV shafts like the chevys do, or are they SAS? Im only gonna spend what I still owe on the chevy (bout little under 19000), so I will be looking at 02-04s probably not an 05.

Ahhh.. help me.. This is like a whole new world going from domestic v8s to these "IMPORTED" jobs :)
I had an '03 auto d-cab and it came with 4.10 gears. I think the 4 cyclinders have different gearing. The 4 banger should get you up and down hills fine, the v6 will do it better. IMHO (and not bagging on the 4 banger trucks) I would prefer the v6 especially if you will be lifting it in the future. The 3.4, though not as peppy as the 4.0, will move the truck just fine. Both Auto's and Manuals are issue free. Which ever style you prefer would work. Unfortunately, no Solid Axles since '85 for Toyota Trucks. CV's will have added stress when lifting, but are genreally fine unless you lift above 2.5" (excluding the drop bracket lifts(not to be confused with the not so useful "diff-drop), Pro-comp, Fabtech, etc.). I would suggest the TRD package while you are looking. It comes with the Rear Locker and can be quite usefull.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I have spent most of today looking around autotrader and this site etc. seems as though what I need/want (with MPG in mind this time...jesus that chevy is killing me =P) is a '03 ish Tacoma, Xtra cab, shortest bed available (Seems like only one is, the 6ft), 4x4 TRD manual transmission. Doesnt look like there are any fancy options with this truck (which i like). Just seems like Auto/Manual, Cd player or not, and power/crank windows are the only options :) Makes car buying easy huh?

Is there any way to lift these things over 2.5" without destroying the CV angles? I would like to be able to fit 33s with no rubbing at full lock/full compression. Are there lift kits with a full drop to keep CV angles at bay?

thanks again guys, anything else I should be looking for when buying one please let me know. gonna be awhile since I gotta sell my gas guzzler, but I want to be well informed when I go to look at a few.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
camarofanman said:
Yea I have spent most of today looking around autotrader and this site etc. seems as though what I need/want (with MPG in mind this time...jesus that chevy is killing me =P) is a '03 ish Tacoma, Xtra cab, shortest bed available (Seems like only one is, the 6ft), 4x4 TRD manual transmission. Doesnt look like there are any fancy options with this truck (which i like). Just seems like Auto/Manual, Cd player or not, and power/crank windows are the only options :) Makes car buying easy huh?

Is there any way to lift these things over 2.5" without destroying the CV angles? I would like to be able to fit 33s with no rubbing at full lock/full compression. Are there lift kits with a full drop to keep CV angles at bay?

thanks again guys, anything else I should be looking for when buying one please let me know. gonna be awhile since I gotta sell my gas guzzler, but I want to be well informed when I go to look at a few.
Yup, until '05 the extra cabs had 6' beds. And there isn't to many foofoo options, which I like too. As for lifts you can go between 4" and 6" with drop brackets. Fabtech, Pro-comp are a couple (There is a few others too). You can fit a 33" tire on with 2.5" lift and have minimal to no rubbing with some :saw: and a hammer. I ran 2.5" (after settling) with a metric 33x11.5" and have very little rubbing. You can search on that as there should be at least 100 posts covering that topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
Mr Tacomi said:
get a commuter car and keep the truck?
I did that...but I tell you, I miss driving up higher and the feel of the truck...yup I pretty much don't like driving the commuter (which is decent, '06 accord, 4cyl.). The ONLY time I don't miss it is when I am filling up and realize I get 29-31mpg on every tank :D .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea I agree with you TACO, I do not like driving cars unless I am driving a camaro or something. I find trucks much more comfortable to drive, otherwise I would buy a real old K5 and a newer grand prix or something. I need something I can drive all the time, to work, and to play on the weekends, and not have to worry about MPG.

pat161 - I have driven a couple canyons and they just dont feel right. Real small, real cheaply made, even that I5 doesnt seem to have enough ass to move it. Just feels like a big hunk of garbage to me. My father is also a big chevrolet guy and he is the one that had me look at the "taco"s. His line of thinking was "Chevys in trouble, they just dont have the right products right now (He is an extremly successful used car manager) and toyota does. Besides, Toyota is made in the US, and Chevys made in Mexico/Canada, so you cant always buy a vehicle based on your feelings."

Thanks for the help guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
camarofanman said:
Yea I agree with you TACO, I do not like driving cars unless I am driving a camaro or something. I find trucks much more comfortable to drive, otherwise I would buy a real old K5 and a newer grand prix or something. I need something I can drive all the time, to work, and to play on the weekends, and not have to worry about MPG.

pat161 - I have driven a couple canyons and they just dont feel right. Real small, real cheaply made, even that I5 doesnt seem to have enough ass to move it. Just feels like a big hunk of garbage to me. My father is also a big chevrolet guy and he is the one that had me look at the "taco"s. His line of thinking was "Chevys in trouble, they just dont have the right products right now (He is an extremly successful used car manager) and toyota does. Besides, Toyota is made in the US, and Chevys made in Mexico/Canada, so you cant always buy a vehicle based on your feelings."

Thanks for the help guys
Off topic Camarofanman...what year Camaro do you have?...I had 2 before I bought the Taco...97 with the LT1 and then 2k with the LS1. I miss the power of those things, especially the LS1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,778 Posts
TACO 4X4 said:
The ONLY time I don't miss it is when I am filling up and realize I get 29-31mpg on every tank :D .

EXACTLY! the original poster's primary beef with his truck is it's mileage... other than that he seems really happy with the truck; I'm not real fond of cars myself, but my 2 mile commute is killing the diesel...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I am not happy with 9-10mpg average no. But, 21 is deffinatly do able. My old grandprix was averaged at about 26 and I had no complaints with the gas mileage at all, just dont like cars.

I had 3 fbodys myself, and my sister bout one when she was 16.

My first car was a 91 firebird 6cyl, second was a 94 camaro t top 6 cyl, and my last camaro was a 96 hard top 6 speed LTI with the factory ground effect package installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Well if your wanting to get a noticeable difference in gas mileage, lifting your truck and putting 33's on it is going to bring it down from 21mpg drastically...i get 15 in the winter 18-19 in the summer if i drive like grandma..and thats with the 4banger and 33's.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top