TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well heres the start of a tacoma 5lug. Im puttin on a new kit I designed, a front bumper, and maybe something in the rear (MAYBE deavers and bedcage). The kit should pull 16+ bumped and strapped with room for a 2.5x10 c/o and bypass. Its running a bronco/f150 d44 hub assem with 5x5.5 lug pattern (will be easy to swap in a 9in from similar vehicle). The overall width should be 78" with 35x12.5 tires and 15x7 with 4in backspacing. I got the vehicle about a week and half ago and the design and pieces are done and ready to be put together.

Staring vehicle

Passenger side is okay

Driver side . . . not so much. Front left impact kinda hit some stuff and destroyed the rack mounts

New lt design. The steering brackets are backwards (front steer instead of rear steer) but will be fixed when the rack gets put back in.

Pieces cut out

New brake I made to bend 3/16" plate at home. This piece was easy but tom I have wider pieces to bend.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Looks like this is going to be an interesting build!

How far below the frame rail are those lower control arm mounts?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How far below the frame rail are those lower control arm mounts?
Im using the stock lower mounts. The mounts in the cad image is just how I drew it up. The upper mounts are new though. I havent found a truck yet that I like the stock upper mounts. They are usually in a bad location, limit the amount of clean travel you can get, and usually force me you to mount a shock inside and out of the upper arm to run dual shocks. Plus theyre weak stock and need to be reinforced anyways, so might as well get rid of them and make the mounts stronger.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Makes sense. The drawing is what had me wondering.

It'll be sweet to get both shocks inside the UCA both for angles and clearance. Looking forward to watching this come together!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like it'll be awesome. Don't make me regret my kit already :(
Ill try my hardest to do just that hahahah sorry

just wondering what your gonna be doing for steering?
Im going to cut off the stock driver side bracket and remake it to locate the steering back to its stock location

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heres some progress. The metal brake worked perfect and bent the large lower plates pretty easily. Ive got both the lowers and uppers tacked together and Ive got hubs+snouts coming tonight so I can machine out snout blocks tomorrow and tack the spindles together. Im still waiting on heims and unis though and have no idea when theyre coming in but hopefully Ill get pics of the susp swinging on the truck early next week.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those LCAs are gonna carry a lot of rocks and sand out of the desert but they look like they'll be strong as heck. Nice work so far! :kewl:
hahahah ya that was a concern of mine too. I dont like recessed shock mounts, but to get the ride height and travel I wanted I had to (damn brake master cylinders!!). I did put in water drain holes at least and hopefully he whomps through whoops hard enough to throw the rocks at people on the sides hahaha

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little update. The frame has been cleaned up; coilbuckets, upper mounts, stock bumpstops are all gone now. The inner fender wells are gone. The bent steering rack bracket has been removed and a new bracket and rack are already on. Snout blocks, delrin bushings and square bungs are all machined and ready. I did run into a snag with parts though. The guy I was going through for heims, unis etc from fk ended up dropping the ball BIG TIME for 2 weeks. Luckily poly performance helped me out and has got the parts ordered for me. I should have uniball cups tues or wed and then Ill be able to finish tack welding the parts and get them swingin on the truck. Sorry no pics though. Ive been using cabbage's camera cause its badass, but hes been in taiwan for the last week. He should be back soon and then Ill get pics up.

·
Registered
325 Posts
hahahah ya that was a concern of mine too. I dont like recessed shock mounts, but to get the ride height and travel I wanted I had to (damn brake master cylinders!!). I did put in water drain holes at least and hopefully he whomps through whoops hard enough to throw the rocks at people on the sides hahaha
my tc kit has recessed shock mounts with drain holes. never noticed any build up of sand or mud in them.

can't wait to see pics of the finished product! it's cool to see people finally building up the 5 lugs. seems like this generation of 5 lugs got skipped.

·
Registered
700 Posts
my tc kit has recessed shock mounts with drain holes. never noticed any build up of sand or mud in them.

can't wait to see pics of the finished product! it's cool to see people finally building up the 5 lugs. seems like this generation of 5 lugs got skipped.
not for long buddy! ;)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright heres the pics

Frame cleaned up

It turned out the frontend was tweaked quite a bit. The driver side was almost an inch lower than the pass side. It took a while to get the front end straight but I straightened the metal as much as I could without doing more damage, and I added a spacer to level everything out. New front bumper. Ive got a couple tubes to add to support the ends but other than that, its done.

New steering tab. Nothing fancy, but it attaches to twice as much metal as the stock.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
25 Participants
Sikyota
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing