TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
looks awesome! make sure you put braces on the upper shock mounts and reinforce the front cross member somehow. I already tweaked my frame from stuffing it. maybe a dom bar behind or in front the crossmember to support?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
looks awesome! make sure you put braces on the upper shock mounts and reinforce the front cross member somehow. I already tweaked my frame from stuffing it. maybe a dom bar behind or in front the crossmember to support?
I was going to make an engine crossover but Im not sure about the front cross member. Someone told me the front cross member is removable so that the oilpan can be pulled without pulling the engine. It sounds like a real easy way to check the engine internals if anything were to go wrong. It does look like his crossmembers may already be tweaked a little from the accident though.

work looks bitchin. damn 11" up travel? my kit pulls only 11" up and down all together...lol.

i don't think it was posted but how much longer are the arms?
The arms are 3.5" over stock. I have been wanting to cycle the suspension but Im still waiting on parts. Shouldnt be too much longer though.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
diggin the bumper. looks like dan from velocity's bumper.
Ya thats exactly where I got the idea. I did a similar bumper on my ranger and I still like splitting the aluminum. I dont know where the hell dan is now. I havent spoken to him for probably a year now and his truck is probably still in his garage rusting.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
i talked to him a couple months back, but he disappeared. more pics of your ranger please... pm them to me, i love it.
Ya hes funny how you can talk to him on the phone one day and you wont hear from him for months and hell call out of the blue and say whats up hahaha. Do you know what hes up to now? Last time I talked to him he was working for a bike company.

Heres a link to my photobucket. Just dont take the photos and claim you built it like josh at jsi motorsports did . . . what an asshole!!

http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/nn329/stevefike/Ranger/

those a-arms r sick, how much to build me a set? Like ur bumper to, don't see that split aluminum very often if at all!
Thanks. Im not sure on a price and Im probably gonna be backed up till early next year, but if you are interested we can talk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thats cool, well if you could let me know, they would be going on my 99 5lug tacoma single cab! I have old camburg arms on there now but I'm looking for more travel and durability! Urs look like just what I'm looking for, anyway keep up the good work! Thanks

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ive got a few updates. The parts came in so were back under way. The couple down days I had I reinforced the motor mounts and plated the outside of the frame. The passenger side we did try to pull out the dent and got it halfway out by welding on a nut and using a huge 30lb slide hammer. After we got it halfway out, it stopped moving and we decided to quit and just plated over it. I got the uprights tacked together now and about 1/3 of the way welded. The owner is picking up the coilovers and bumpstops tomorrow so early next week we should have the suspension swinging with the shocks mocked up

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Ya hes funny how you can talk to him on the phone one day and you wont hear from him for months and hell call out of the blue and say whats up hahaha. Do you know what hes up to now? Last time I talked to him he was working for a bike company.
i don't know him personally. just talk to him online every now and then. he helped build some parts on my silverado way back when.

Heres a link to my photobucket. Just dont take the photos and claim you built it like josh at jsi motorsports did . . . what an asshole!!
that guy is a fucking asshole.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
that ranger was bitchin
uprights look stout, did you have a machine shop make the backing plates?
keep us posted on updates!
Thanks. And the backing plates I made myself. I have a lathe now so I make my own delrin bushings, square bungs, backing plates, etc. It saves me the time and money of having to deal with someone else which is a HUGE bonus.

i don't know him personally. just talk to him online every now and then. he helped build some parts on my silverado way back when.
Gotcha. After you mentioned him I got a hold of him and hes building downhill bike frames out of his garage. Im gonna swing by his place wed and try to get him to get his truck out and about again.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Well rain is kinda slowing me down but I do have some updates. Uprights are fully welded except for steering and caliper mounts. The lower arms are fully welded. Ive got both sides swingin the suspension and got a shock hoop started on the pass side. Both shocks clear for coil springs (should also be enough for bypass tubes) and its cycling 17+ right now. Bumped and strapped should still be 16+. Were gonna mount the bump off the upper arm near the upper uni and clean up the saw teeth on the inner fenders a little so it doesnt mincemeat the tire.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
25 Participants
Sikyota
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing