TTORA Forum banner

Tacoma 5 lug

35K views 74 replies 21 participants last post by  Sikyota 
#1 ·
Well heres the start of a tacoma 5lug. Im puttin on a new kit I designed, a front bumper, and maybe something in the rear (MAYBE deavers and bedcage). The kit should pull 16+ bumped and strapped with room for a 2.5x10 c/o and bypass. Its running a bronco/f150 d44 hub assem with 5x5.5 lug pattern (will be easy to swap in a 9in from similar vehicle). The overall width should be 78" with 35x12.5 tires and 15x7 with 4in backspacing. I got the vehicle about a week and half ago and the design and pieces are done and ready to be put together.

Staring vehicle

Passenger side is okay

Driver side . . . not so much. Front left impact kinda hit some stuff and destroyed the rack mounts

New lt design. The steering brackets are backwards (front steer instead of rear steer) but will be fixed when the rack gets put back in.

Pieces cut out

New brake I made to bend 3/16" plate at home. This piece was easy but tom I have wider pieces to bend.

See less See more
#44 ·
Thanks all. And thanks aznpg for the pm.

Well I got the shock hoops in both sides and Ive got the steering hooked up. I had to make my own heim adapter since I couldnt find any for the 5 lug rack. It wasnt too bad. I did cycle the kit with steering on and there was only a slight bumpsteer kick at the top and bottom of the travel. Ill try to get some pics tomorrow. Heres is a pic of the steering hooked up though.

#47 ·
Ive got both sides all welded up. I need to put in limit straps, a removable front engine crossover tube, and paint everything but I got rained out after 2pm today so tomorrow the truck should be on the front tires and we'll tear into the rear and see what happens. The front engine crossover will have part of the mount attaching the top of the bump can to the shock mount tube.

Does anyone know if there is a ujoint to connect a tacoma driveshaft directly to a ford 9in? I havent gotten into it but that seems like the biggest problem I can think of right now (perches and stock shock mount relocation shouldnt be too hard with a plasma cutter).

#48 ·
very nice! wish I had a V6 in my 5 lug. I remember someone selling a toyota driveshaft that would bolt up to a ford 9, I think it was in the race-dezert classifieds, but I can find it right now. I think any driveline shop should be able to handle it pretty easily though.

#49 ·
I heard from someone that I may have to machine a piece to make the toyota yoke upsize to a ford dshaft tube . . . or I may be lucky enough to already have a 1310 u joint. We'll see when I get into it . . . not yet though Im lagging big time with all the shitty wind we've had lately.

I didnt get the truck onto the tires yet, but its real close. Only thing that I have left is to clearance out the fenders a little for the 35s . . . thatll get it onto the tires. Then I still need to wire the battery and get brake lines made monday. We did get the parts all painted and on the truck and Ive got to say the hammered spray paint from rustoleum is pretty good looking. It almost looks like powder coating. The cage is just painted flat black (no pics). I think the extra engine crossover connecting the two bump cans should help a lot with any flex.

#50 ·
looks amazing!!!!, yeah that paint holds up pretty good
keep up the good work, IDK if they make a Ujoint for your app. no one made one for my tacoma to tundra DS, so i doubt they make a tacoma to ford. but cutting and modifying your DS is your best bet, just more $$

#52 ·
its a 2.5x4 king bump. Im going to limit it to 2.5inch of travel later when he gets the bypasses, but for now itll help stop bottoming out. I did add a pad for the bumpstop. The bump does hit on top of the vertical brace inside but it walks 3/16" on both sides of the vertical brace with the 4" of travel so I threw some more metal on top to help stop it from bending anything.

#54 ·
Well we got some more done on the truck. Frontend is done, just need the brakelines that should be here monday and the top coil spring before he runs the truck hard (just sitting on single rate right now). The glass is all clearanced out and the tires clear the firewall at full turn and bump (only had to beat in the firewall about an inch to clear the 35's.

We even got the stock boot onto the new heim adapter so it should keep dirt outta the rack

New intake compliments of my buddy justin and some autozone parts/airfilter.

And we got the 9 inch in. Its just tack welded on perches for now. But we need to fully weld the perches, hook up brake lines, weld on some quick shock mounts and get the dshaft modified.

#57 ·
Cherry bomb muffler off our race truck is now on this truck

Im going to try an adapter I made using the stock tacoma driveshaft thingy. I cut off the mounts, welded on new plates and re-drilled mounting holes. Hes probably coming back in a couple months to get it 3/4 linked so we really didnt want to spend $150 to modify the driveshaft now when hes gonna be getting it modified again to fit the 3/4 link later. The dshaft runout is 10 thousandths so well see how it runs on the freeway. If its too bad I guess hell have to get the dshaft modded now.

Its gonna be a few more days before its running. The brake line place in town ordered stainless braided line last monday and it still hasnt arrived so we have to wait on that. Also when I pulled apart the 3rd member to make the dshaft adapter I noticed the pinion support bearing inside was destroyed so we have a new one of those coming into kragen tom. The rear brake lines are all hooked up though, so once the axle is back together the bed goes on and then bedsides and its all waiting on the brake lines.

#60 ·
Just keeps getting better. :cool:

Any plans to put a barrier under or around the air filter to keep water kicked up from the tire from getting sucked in? It's a concern that I have for my own truck and was wondering what you had in mind.
Thanks. It wasnt really a concern for me, but im waiting on parts so I probably should do something. Ill prob just get some thin aluminum (like 1/16" thick) and bend it around the airfilter and use hose clamps on the metal ends of the filter to hold it on. Ill prob put a few strips of the aluminum down before the hose clamps so there is still a gap between the filter and the metal.
I'll have to do the same thing as well. Thanks for the idea :)

#58 ·
Just keeps getting better. :cool:

Any plans to put a barrier under or around the air filter to keep water kicked up from the tire from getting sucked in? It's a concern that I have for my own truck and was wondering what you had in mind.

#59 ·
Thanks. It wasnt really a concern for me, but im waiting on parts so I probably should do something. Ill prob just get some thin aluminum (like 1/16" thick) and bend it around the airfilter and use hose clamps on the metal ends of the filter to hold it on. Ill prob put a few strips of the aluminum down before the hose clamps so there is still a gap between the filter and the metal.

#62 ·
Well thank you! It should be back for links in few months after I take care of some other stuff.

The owner took the truck home today. Shocks still need to be charged with n2 and were waiting on the top coils but he can take care of that. The tires still stick out in the rear hahaha dont know what to do about that except cut it or dovetail without a bed. It drives quite nice and the steering is actually very easy to turn . . . like 1 finger on the wheel easy at a stop. The acceleration is not too bad either with the stock 9inch gearing and 35's. He traded his old axle for a deaver 3pack and will be installing that soon.

#69 ·
How much would you make Another set for??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.