TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner extended (4doors) 2wd 2.7L 4 Cylinder. 150K miles. SF Bay Area (East Bay)

On the transmission, it says Aisin Awc Japan. Model: 30-40LE 3500 3G300 . In the door says A340e.

I had the car parked in the driveway for many months as I was away at college.

Needed to pass smog and can not. Bought a cheap OBD scanner and check the engine light on, replaced the fuel sensor error code P1135 . So changed oil, filters, sparks, battery, & upstream fuel sensor.

New issue and I don't have any codes for it. Truck in Reverse and Drive will not engage the gear. simply does nothing but rev, had to have it towed up to the driveway.

I replaced the tranny seal, filter, and fluids myself OEM parts. Still the same issue. Could it be selenoids or should I replace the transmission is completely gone? Can't afford a new tranny so looking at some used ones from salvage (eBay / CL) and have a mobile mechanic or hobbyist (from CL) help install. Anything I should look out for?

Can I use any a340e or does it have to be specific for my model (several models use this)? I read you have to get as close to your cars year and miles as possible, is that correct? A340E (30-40LE) Toyota A transmission - Wikipedia

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
The O2 sensor is right next to the transmission shifter connector which reports to the ECU the shifter position. It is in the same harness as the O2 sensor. Check for an unplugged connector or damaged wire first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The O2 sensor is right next to the transmission shifter connector which reports to the ECU the shifter position. It is in the same harness as the O2 sensor. Check for an unplugged connector or damaged wire first.
Excuse the newbie question...How does one test the connector or look for damaged wires or could you share a youtube video etc of a good way.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
You have to get your multimeter out and start checking the connections. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be something very obvious, but if not, then you have to check each connector in the harness and follow that to the ECU. The FSM wiring diagram for your model truck will be an invaluable tool to help you with the testing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts