TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this is a repost but the new issue of Off Road Adventures (Whore Wheel Parts' free magazine) has a Test Drive article on the 2005 Tacoma and the first part of a multi-issue build up of an 05' Double Cab.

·
norcal n00b
802 Posts
elgecko said:
Don't know if this is a repost but the new issue of Off Road Adventures (Whore Wheel Parts' free magazine) has a Test Drive article on the 2005 Tacoma and the first part of a multi-issue build up of an 05' Double Cab.
Thats surprising? Usually that magazine is an Jeep Ford Chevy magazine with a few FJ40's. What have they said about the new Taco so far?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I know Peterson's just had their 4x4 of the year contest thingy in their current issue, and they were kind of disappointed in the new Tacoma.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zackattak said:
Thats surprising? Usually that magazine is an Jeep Ford Chevy magazine with a few FJ40's. What have they said about the new Taco so far?
They had good things to say. They really liked the new engines & trannys and the increased size.

There's good stuff describing the changes to the suspension system in the build-up article (e.g. the centering pin on the leafs is centered on the 05' as opposed to offset) and it looks like the rear shocks are eye/stem mount now.

If you're near a 4WP, drop by and pick one for FREE!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Petersons initial view of the Taco:

http://4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/toyota/131_0412_toy/

Also the 4x4 of the year results willbe available on their website soon so keep checking back it's not there yet.....:
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wins 4-Wheel & Off-Road’s 4x4 of the Year Competition
The complete test results and vehicle evaluations for the 2005 4x4 of the Year competition will be in the February 2005 issue, on sale December 28, 2005. Information on the test will also be available on the 4-Wheel & Off-Road Web site, www.4wheeloffroad.com, following the February issue's on-sale date.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
In their 4x4 comparison (from what I recall as I don't have it in front of me), they liked the new 6-speed and the increased size as 5 adults fit comfortably in the double cab, but they disliked the 4wheel drive knob as it didn't respond when they wanted it to, and they were disappointed in the horsepower. They thought the new Frontier was right up there on the heels of the Tacoma.

·
Registered
836 Posts
nees1212 said:
I know Peterson's just had their 4x4 of the year contest thingy in their current issue, and they were kind of disappointed in the new Tacoma.
I'm a little dissapointed in Perterson's choice for 4x4 of the year. The Taco did come in second, but the testers were obviously seduced by the Grand Cherokee's Hemi power, and ability to get the kids to soccer practice. The way I read the article, there were more negative comments about its off road prowess than there were possitive, but it still beat the competition by a pretty big margin. I expected the Power Wagon, and Rubicon Unlimited to do much better in the competition.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
elgecko said:
just finished reading it. I didn't even know that skyjacker even made lifts for Tacos, LOL. I've never seen them advertized nor talked about on this forum.

I wish they had gone into more detail on how they 'fixed' the front coilover clearance problem.

and 'clearing' those swampers on 2.5" of lift, huh?? the '05 fenders must be a lot wider then the previous generations or those coilovers really limit articulation.

it was cool to see two Taco articles in the same issue though ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hytenor said:
just finished reading it. I didn't even know that skyjacker even made lifts for Tacos, LOL. I've never seen them advertized nor talked about on this forum.

I wish they had gone into more detail on how they 'fixed' the front coilover clearance problem.

and 'clearing' those swampers on 2.5" of lift, huh?? the '05 fenders must be a lot wider then the previous generations or those coilovers really limit articulation.

it was cool to see two Taco articles in the same issue though ;)
There was a pretty good pic of the spacer (polished spacer above he anodized bottom mount) that they machined to get the lower bucket up and away from the CVs. The "running 35s with 4 inches" kind of took me by surprise too.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe King makes the shock part of the coilover. I remember when they came out...only problem was the price. I think they wanted ~ $1,200 :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts