TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been contemplating upgrading my truck (03 2.7 reg cab 4wd taco) for a while now for something a bit bigger and family oriented.

Early model 4 door Tacomas are appealing to me, but still a bit small and the Hawaii market has them waay over priced. I just saw a very clean 04 4 door sell for 20K on the local craigslist.

I am looking into late model 4 door tacos, but have realized that early Tundra access cabs can be had for around the same price (or less), come equipped with a stout V8, and are just a few inches wider, and about 10 inches longer. As far as MPG goes, I know I'll be taking a huge kick in the nuts, but the nuts will get kicked regardless of what truck I go with, considering I get around 19 - 20 mpg on my current truck.

Taco converts - Are you happy with your upgrade? If you upgraded from a late model Taco to an early model Tundra, is the difference in size significant to you?

Mahalo in advance!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am not a convert so to speak but I do have an 06 Tundra. I was looking to buy a 06 Tacoma at the time but the new Tundras were about to be released and they were blowing out the Tundras for less than the Tacomas so....

I looked at the same things you did, little bigger, nice V8, better towing etc....

I love my Tundra. I generally get about 17 mpg and my high has been 19mpg. It is smooth and comfortable and quiet and pulls my boat or my jeep with ease. It carries two dirt bikes and all our gear with no problems.

However, by kids are bigger now and the rear seat is very small. It can be used around town but I would not go on a trip with people that I care about back there. So if you need the space, you might start looking for a quad cab.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input, and yes, it helps. I've never actually sat in the back of an access cab Tundra, but it does look pretty tight. In researching my purchase, I learned that the 4 door Tundra is actually 3 or 4 inches wider than an access cab, and significantly longer as well. The size will definitely take some getting used to; I'm not even sure if it'll fit in my garage!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was just on the same boat as you. I had a 2.7 liter 2007 tacoma and it was a bit small. I traded it in for an 06 tundra access cab last weekend and im totally in love with this new truck. the only thing is you get kicked REALLy hard in the nuts with the gas I get like 16/18 per gallon.
TUNDRA!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could live with 16 - 18 mpg. I found a 4 door Tundra that I think I'll be moving on. Hopefully, it's not sold yet.

I think I'm done with lifted trucks, and am looking to keep it clean and mostly stock... Maybe a simple 3" toytec kit and some fresh KM2s... I'm pretty sure 285 70 17s would clear no problemo and still keep that relatively stock look while giving me the height I need to get me across the lava fields to my favorite fishing spots :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
I could live with 16 - 18 mpg. I found a 4 door Tundra that I think I'll be moving on. Hopefully, it's not sold yet.

I think I'm done with lifted trucks, and am looking to keep it clean and mostly stock... Maybe a simple 3" toytec kit and some fresh KM2s... I'm pretty sure 285 70 17s would clear no problemo and still keep that relatively stock look while giving me the height I need to get me across the lava fields to my favorite fishing spots :D
ok I am somewhat of a convert. I had a 97 ext. cab tacoma with the 2.7L. It was lifted with 35's and i got like 17 mpg with it.

I found a smoking deal on an 05 tundra 4 door for like 10K. I got it and still have it today. I love that truck. I haven't had any issues out of it or anything.
I will warn you about lifting it tho. I would use the adj bilsteins in front and an AAL or Leaf pack in the rear.
I put the adj bilsteins in mine and didn't lift the rear. I put 285/75/R16 on it. It barely rubbed, but i found out that i couldn't tow and big loads. The rear didn't have enough height over the tire to tow. I added an AAL and I now tow my 90 Pickup with ease.

o btw, the 285's will kill your mpg. I get maybe 17 on the hwy if i go really really easy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I made the change last fall. I went from a 00' tacoma 3.4 ext. 4wd tacoma and loved it but towing my boat up and down the hills to the lake was terrible. I bought an 06 tundra crew cab and i love it. The mileage is not nearly as good as the tacoma but the v8 and the extra room is well worth it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta stop surfing the web. Now I'm contemplating on a late model Tundra. Not sure if I'm reading this right....
2007 Tundra double cab vs. 2006 Tundra double cab
ground clearance: 10.4" (07) vs. 11.9 (06)
Height: 76.4 (07) vs. 74.4 (06) .
Length: 228.7 (07) vs. 230.1 (06) -WTF 07 is shorter?
Wheel Base: 145.7 (07) vs. 140.5 (06) -Ah! I see what they did there...
Width: 79.9 (07) vs. 79.3 (06)
MPG: 14 / 18 combined 16 (07) vs. 15 / 18 combined 16 (06)

In a nutshell, it looks like the 06 makes a better occasional off roader with the shorter wheelbase and 1.5" more of ground clearance. What surprises me is how close they are on paper. I thought the 07s were GINORMOUS in comparison to the late model Tundras. Turns out it aint so.

As far as MPG goes, is the EPA #s close to real world numbers?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I went from an 08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 to an 2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7L. I previously had a 04 Tundra Double Cab. I can tell you, that the mileage is less with the Tundra, but not by much. I recently took a road trip from California to Louisiana, and I averaged 18.5 in the Tundra with the cruise at 75. I loved my 04 Double Cab since I thought it was better built than my 2010, but the 5.7l in the 2010 will bring a smile on every time you punch it. The 08 Tacoma had trouble towing my buggy, and my toy hauler the two times a year when I used it. The Tundra does not have a problem, and is not stressed by this, as the Tacoma was. Also the 0.0 apr kind of helped make my decision, as I am now paying less for the Tundra than the Tacoma.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the 05 4door was a no-go. It looked good on the computer screen, but not so good in person. I also looked at an 06 access cab but again, not the truck for me. I'll be taking a look at a 2010 4.6L double cab shortly. I noticed that they've been selling at blow out prices well below the msrp... add to that great financing rates and the fact I could be driving a brand new truck, and it makes me excited in ways it shouldn't be :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not a convert either, but my buddy has an 04 Taco and I have 01 Tundra with the V8. I absolutely hate the way his Taco rides and tows. The Tundra rides better, looks better, tows better, and hauls ass compared to the Taco.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hey Guys.

I havent posted here in 2 years.

Had my old lifted Tacoma, sold it bought a Civic. Now the Civic is becoming a headache, and I might need a work Truck.

I had a few major complaints about the Tacoma

A: To Slow, This was huge. The truck with 285/75's could barely boogy to 70mph on the freeway.

B: To Small, The front interior was cramped and the back was just extra storage space, I couldn't fit people in it if I wanted to.

C: Bad brakes. With the 33's and an auto tranny the truck would cook the breaks in 4low going downhill.

Now, Obviously I have address a few issies.

The truck will have power to hit the freeway, even with 33's.

The front interior is a lot more roomy.

Now here are my questions:

How bad is the rear seat of the access/extended cab? I would prefer the smaller, better turning radius, and looks of the accesscab, but I would like to be able to haul some buddies if I needed to.

How bad are the front brakes on 00-02's? This year fits best into my pricerange, but I hear the horror stories on the front brakes being to small.

Is this mostly while towing, or is this for regular cruising? Obviously bigger tires will only inflate the problem.

I really need a good strong reliable truck that is headache free. After Owning, modding and having issues with the engine of my 06 Civic Si, I want a nice reliable truck I can use for ages.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
A: TOO slow, This was huge. The truck with 285/75's could barely boogy to 70mph on the freeway.
I fixed your grammar error.

And to reply. No shit sherlock. Those are some heavy tires. And the bigger circumference of the tires lower RPMS at the same speed. Stock gears and 285's don't get along.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey Guys.

I havent posted here in 2 years.

Had my old lifted Tacoma, sold it bought a Civic. Now the Civic is becoming a headache, and I might need a work Truck.

I had a few major complaints about the Tacoma

A: To Slow, This was huge. The truck with 285/75's could barely boogy to 70mph on the freeway.

B: To Small, The front interior was cramped and the back was just extra storage space, I couldn't fit people in it if I wanted to.

C: Bad brakes. With the 33's and an auto tranny the truck would cook the breaks in 4low going downhill.

Now, Obviously I have address a few issies.

The truck will have power to hit the freeway, even with 33's.

The front interior is a lot more roomy.

Now here are my questions:

How bad is the rear seat of the access/extended cab? I would prefer the smaller, better turning radius, and looks of the accesscab, but I would like to be able to haul some buddies if I needed to.

How bad are the front brakes on 00-02's? This year fits best into my pricerange, but I hear the horror stories on the front brakes being to small.

Is this mostly while towing, or is this for regular cruising? Obviously bigger tires will only inflate the problem.

I really need a good strong reliable truck that is headache free. After Owning, modding and having issues with the engine of my 06 Civic Si, I want a nice reliable truck I can use for ages.
ok the access will be fine for people around town. if you want to go on a long trip, i would get to lookin for a DC. i have an 05 DC and got it for under 10K. i have the 4.7L v8 and now have just under 150k miles with no problems.

I am running 285/75R16's on mine and have no issues stopping when towing or cruising.(towing also means actually driving correctly while towing and not being an idiot). i towed my yota pickup on a car hauler home and had no stopping issues(trailer brakes helped tho:D). If you decide to get an 00-02 then just go to a junkyard and get the brakes off an 04 to 06 DC and swap them out. that isn't that hard to do anyway.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I live in Canada.

The going rate for an 04-06 DC is still 16-17000. A tad higher than my price range.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok the access will be fine for people around town. if you want to go on a long trip, i would get to lookin for a DC. i have an 05 DC and got it for under 10K. i have the 4.7L v8 and now have just under 150k miles with no problems.

I am running 285/75R16's on mine and have no issues stopping when towing or cruising.(towing also means actually driving correctly while towing and not being an idiot). i towed my yota pickup on a car hauler home and had no stopping issues(trailer brakes helped tho:D). If you decide to get an 00-02 then just go to a junkyard and get the brakes off an 04 to 06 DC and swap them out. that isn't that hard to do anyway.
Highride - you running stock 17" rims with your 285s? How much lift do you have upfront, and are there any clearance issues with the spindle and/or upper control arms?

I found a minty Darrell Waltrip edition 06 4door that is now sitting in my garage :D I wanna keep the stock rims but wanted to go up to a tire with your profile. I've read that clearing the UCA becomes a big problem when increasing the tire width on stock rims.... Your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

This Tundra is grrrrreat, glad I went 4 door instead of the access cab I was thinking about getting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Congrats on the new Tundra!!! I was a convert (02 access cab taco 3.4 4x4 trd blahh blahh to a 2000 model 4wd tundra, had 29k miles on it in 2007) The tundra was far superior for what I used it for (hauling dirtbikes, rhinos, roadtrips etc), as well as once I did my mild suspension lift it was incredible. The UCA clearance will most definately be an issue depending on your wheel backspacing, however, the ride is so far superior with a set of uniball UCA's I recommend it anyway. My tundra had some 2.5 toytec/bilstein/eubach coilovers with some camburg chro-moly UCA's as well as some high angle cv boots and a diff drop etc etc and it was incredible. I absolutley loved it until a single cab 94 chevy broadsided me at 60mph and rolled me into an 8 foot ditch twice before resting on the roof with all four wheels in the air. I crawled right out of the busted passenger window unscratched. I have nothing but praise to give the 1st gen tundras, I owe my life to one. Now I drive a shitty 2004 z-71 dude to the fact that I had to move to another city when I transferred to LSU and buy a truck in a hurry, and I can say that that GMC isnt even a quarter of the truck my tundra was..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Highride - you running stock 17" rims with your 285s? How much lift do you have upfront, and are there any clearance issues with the spindle and/or upper control arms?

I found a minty Darrell Waltrip edition 06 4door that is now sitting in my garage :D I wanna keep the stock rims but wanted to go up to a tire with your profile. I've read that clearing the UCA becomes a big problem when increasing the tire width on stock rims.... Your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

This Tundra is grrrrreat, glad I went 4 door instead of the access cab I was thinking about getting.
i didn't keep the stock rims. i went with a procomp 5089, i think? its just a bullet hole style rim with a 4" back spacing. They only rub at full lock on the pinch weld. I don't wheel my tundra so its not a problem to me.

I only did the adjustable bilstein shocks up front and an Add a leaf in the rear. If you're planning on towing then an AAL or new pack is required. I couldn't tow large loads, because there wasn't enough room between the fender and the tire. i would try and haul my 900lb 4 wheeler in the bed and bottom out in some potholes.

Running this size tire on stock rims poses the problem you said. If they do rub, just use a 1/4 inch spacer and they should clear except for the pinch weld in the fender.

this pic was taken before the AAL. you can tell there isn't much room between the tire and fender.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The UCA clearance will most definately be an issue depending on your wheel backspacing, however, the ride is so far superior with a set of uniball UCA's I recommend it anyway.
i didn't keep the stock rims. i went with a procomp 5089, i think? its just a bullet hole style rim with a 4" back spacing. They only rub at full lock on the pinch weld. I don't wheel my tundra so its not a problem to me.

Running this size tire on stock rims poses the problem you said. If they do rub, just use a 1/4 inch spacer and they should clear except for the pinch weld in the fender.
Roger. Thanks for the input guys. My Taco came stock with 18X9 TRD (BBS) rims with a 10 offset... I'm pretty sure it works out to be the same backspace as OE Tundra rims (5.5"). TacoTRD: If I'm understanding you correctly, a set of uniball UCAs will give me the clearance I need?

The tires on my Tundra now are the original Miichelins - 275 55 18 (29X11). I found a brand new set of 2010 Tundra take offs that are 275 65 18 (32X11). These may work out perfectly as it's not as wide or as tall as the 285 75 16s ya'll are running. I just want to make sure they fit before dropping the coin to purchase them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts