TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Nice writeup. It doesnt show any pics of the center console as a finished product. How bout it, can you hook us up? Also, what was your total cost for the mod when it was all said and done?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

As for the price, I got a deal, so somewhere in the ballpark of $2k total for parts and misc. supplies with the 4.7 gears... not too bad I'd say?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SgtMunger said:
Pretty clean install! 4.7 is pretty low, have you taken it out and played with it yet?
Nah, I dont really use my crawler. I just installed it to impress people on message boards... Im a web-wheeler. :)

Hell yeah I have wheeled it! Ive been on about six runs since the install and have about 1500 miles total since the crawler and I absolutely love it. Its so much easier to wheel through rock gardens now, just point and shoot. Everyone who says 4.7's are too low with an automatic has no idea what they are talking about. I use just the 4.7's with my TC in 4 high most of the time and its awesome. But when I hit something really tricky, like a 5 or 6' waterfall it is really nice being able to use low/ low.

Im only at about 147:1 overall in low / low and Id say you could still go lower than that and still be very usefull for rock crawling.

·
Alumnus maximus
678 Posts
kick ass!
really nice install and writeup!

just one thought/suggestion: can the pics be larger or even clickable to full size image so you can zoom on the details? that would kick ass!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Are you regreting not having gone 4.97:1 :)
Also, whats your rig set up? IFS, SAS, 4:10 5:29, 33's 40's?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SgtMunger said:
Are you regreting not having gone 4.97:1 :)
Also, whats your rig set up? IFS, SAS, 4:10 5:29, 33's 40's?
No regrets. I got a great deal on the 4.70's and I run 4.56' in the diffs. I could always go lower in the diffs. later if I ever want it lower but I love it the way it is.

Its a 3.4, V-6, auto. trans., IFS core with 33's, locked front and rear. I'll swap it eventually but not for a couple years. It still suits my needs the way it is... for now. :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm asking 20 questions cause I'm getting ready to do the same mod in a couple weeks :) Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Looks good... I just recently also added a crawler to my Taco and its awsome! But this last weekend, I removed the stock trany mount to start fabing up a new cross member and about a half quart of oil came pouring out of the bolt hole. I haven't torn into it yet, but I can only assume the seal failed between the trany and crawler. Just FYI but you might want to pulling out one of the driver side bolts to see if yours is tight ;) ....

Later
Joel

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
joel said:
Looks good... I just recently also added a crawler to my Taco and its awsome! But this last weekend, I removed the stock trany mount to start fabing up a new cross member and about a half quart of oil came pouring out of the bolt hole. I haven't torn into it yet, but I can only assume the seal failed between the trany and crawler. Just FYI but you might want to pulling out one of the driver side bolts to see if yours is tight ;) ....

Later
Joel
I really dont know where your talking about for certain, but there are really no seals other than the input shaft seal/ housing adapter in the front of the crawler. Everything else is sealed with RTV. Also, you need to use RTV on many of the bolts on the tailhousing and the crawler front adapter plate in addition to the input shaft adapter housing. Basicly when in doubt pour on the RTV. I dont really know how Marlin Crawler expects anyone to know this since there are NO instructions of any kind, but thats what Marlin himself told me.

On my auto. trans. tailhousing I dont think that oil could leak out of one of the mount bolt holes even if gear oil did get into the "intermediate" area between the trans and the crawler due to a seal failure. You may have some sort of a crack in your tailhousing in addition to a leaking seal. I keep an eye on mine and so far no leaks, but if it leaked into the intermediat cavity only I would not know. I guess Id better check my gear oil level just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SgtMunger said:
I'm asking 20 questions cause I'm getting ready to do the same mod in a couple weeks :) Thanks for the info!
No problem man. When I did mine I was shocked at the actual complexity of the install and the lack of any information regarding the install. I had to call Marlin about five times, and guess the rest of the time. :rolleyes:

Its not rocket science, but there are so many little "secret" steps that there is no way you would ever know if someone didnt tell you... or you learn the hard way.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'm guessing that clearance for the rear adapter/shift rails is a v6 thing?
I swear I didn't see anything like that on mine... I had Jim's rear adapter but that doesn't have diddly to do with the shift rails.
Just asking cause I gotta mess with Rob's this weekend and he's got the v6. I'm still having nightmares from mine :p

Dude with leaky bolt holes-that don't sound right at all. Marlin's seal between the tranny and crawler is a bad design I think... seems like there have been lots of problems in the past. Supposedly it was redesigned, but I don't know when exactly. Mine runs back into the tail housing and leaks from there to the crawler constantly. I just live with it- runs hot and stinks like shit, but whatever. Maybe RTV that bolt hole or something? If it were compromised in some way you might want to do something like what Hytenor did and use the crawlbox mounts as well to back up the tranny.
I wish somebody in Norcal would do a complete buildup, minibox to crawler so I could help and take pictures, do a real full on writeup. Funny how after the fact its so duh-obvious, but when you're under there its pretty frustrating.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Wes said:
I'm guessing that clearance for the rear adapter/shift rails is a v6 thing?
I swear I didn't see anything like that on mine... I had Jim's rear adapter but that doesn't have diddly to do with the shift rails.
Just asking cause I gotta mess with Rob's this weekend and he's got the v6. I'm still having nightmares from mine :p

Dude with leaky bolt holes-that don't sound right at all. Marlin's seal between the tranny and crawler is a bad design I think... seems like there have been lots of problems in the past. Supposedly it was redesigned, but I don't know when exactly. Mine runs back into the tail housing and leaks from there to the crawler constantly. I just live with it- runs hot and stinks like shit, but whatever. Maybe RTV that bolt hole or something? If it were compromised in some way you might want to do something like what Hytenor did and use the crawlbox mounts as well to back up the tranny.
I wish somebody in Norcal would do a complete buildup, minibox to crawler so I could help and take pictures, do a real full on writeup. Funny how after the fact its so duh-obvious, but when you're under there its pretty frustrating.
Inchworm's rear adapter is totally different, therefore the shift rail issue should not be an issue.

The front seal adapter is pressed into the trans. tailhousing and then slips into the front adapter plate when the crawler is mated to the trans. The sealing surfaces should have Grey RTV installed on them, a light film before you press in the adapter to the tail housing, and a light film on the end that goes into the crawler right before you install the crawler for the final time.

There are four bolts that bolt the tailhousing (which must be removed) to the end of the trans. These have RTV on them from the factory to prevent leaking. When re-installing the tailhousing with the new Marlin seal housing you must put an ample amount of RTV on these bolts to seal the trans. and prevent leaks into the intermediate cavity.

On the front adapter plate (MC09- R10) there are two bolts that secure the front adapter plate to the reduction box that are below the gear oil level in the reduction box. I removed these two bolts and siliconed them up as well. Also, on the new "R-10" front adapter plate (Marlin) there are two sets of holes in the adapter, one for 0* and one for 10*. The set that is not being used to secure the adapter to the reduction box... silicone them shut with RTV.

Basicly RTV everything until it spooges out of every crack, crevice, and orifice and it should seal.

I also used a second TC mount behind the stock trans. mount to help alleviate the added stress of the additional weight added because of the crawler and moving the TC rearward. It helps to support the weight and reduces "torque over".

Since having to fix all of the crap that should have been done before the unit was shipped to me I have had no problems with mine, but Ive only had it for 1500 miles and time will tell.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Uhhh, you took the tailhousing off? I wonder if thats an auto thing.
All I got with my Marlin shit was a two sided seal. Probably should have RTV'd it but damn if I could get anything from Marlin on the phone and Jim wasn't too sure what they had going on with their front seal.
I didn't see any reason to take off the tail housing since all the bolts (4cyl 5spd) seemed to work just fine with it on...
Thanks for the headsup though- Rob's is all Inchworm, v6 5spd. I'm not doing shit to mine till I need a clutch.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts