TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
I do believe that it would be a first..I know that it would offer quite a bit of protection. You have got an awesome truck...Just wonder how to make it functional while maintaining the use of the back doors..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
will the back door be able to open? what if the bar gets hit? it will fold into the body/door like crazy (atleast with a good smack). one way or another i would cage it, internal or external. The tacoma's roof system isnt the strongest...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
looks cool, except you won't be able to get the tubing to follow the radius of the fenders unless you have access to a very expensive and not-to-common bender with that capability. otherwise, you'll need to make at least 2 bends in the tube in order to get it around the fenders. also, the single door bar wouldn't offer too much protection, IMO. Like the idea & design, but those doors will probably be vulnerable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
Having a D-cab myself, I have looked quite a bit into this. However the rear door and the front door as well will not allow for a down tube there unless it is so far arched away from the truck as to make a nice hook point for everything under the sun. I have been giving serious thought to a down thru the roof tube right there, but then I worry about proper sealing and the issues that would be brought about with an exo/inner cage combo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
just take the doors off and you cant hurt them,and you could loose some serious weight as well,my doors probably weight like 125 or something(both), so 4 of them would be alot off, cage it in if you wheel hard,thats my next mod, but double cabs could be tricky, you could make some removable bars,for the rear and just put them in when you really want to get stupid and possible hurt your rig, any of you get four wheeler? some of the top truck guys had some removable bars on there double cabs and it looked nice, kind of a swing out deal with pins, sorta like a tube door just out side the door area,otherwise that looks like a sweet design,i'm gonna steal that pic for reference for my rig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,322 Posts
Im about to do the same thing on my 3rd gen runner and I am prolly gonna do removable tubes over the back doors and then tube doors for the front.
 

·
Dean
Joined
·
2,585 Posts
aelogbi said:
what you think?







looks good, but the rear door is still an issue.
my idea was to make a removable portion that covers the rear door and can be taken off for non-wheeling or when you get to camp........still planning how to do it and keep the integrity of the cage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
I like it. Eventually Im planning an exo. Long ways off, but Id be real curious how you work out the support between the doors. Thats really the biggest obstacle you have to overcome on the dcabs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Sorry, I think it is down right ugly. Learn to drive that beast and you won't need an exo. Exos do nothing but add weight to your truck and to your ego. I have seen guys who didn't have an exo before and as soon as they got one, they drove completely different . . . less finess and more throttle.

Just one guys opinion,
Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,255 Posts
Timbuddha said:
Sorry, I think it is down right ugly. Learn to drive that beast and you won't need an exo. Exos do nothing but add weight to your truck and to your ego. I have seen guys who didn't have an exo before and as soon as they got one, they drove completely different . . . less finess and more throttle.

Just one guys opinion,
Tim
I tend to disagree. Cages are one of the most overlooked things people don't add to there rigs. You can be the best driver in the world but things happen that are outside your control and you can end up on your lid. Death in a roll over is not an option for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
I know that when I rolled my Baja 4x's and endo'ed twice i was grateful for the full cage, the roof and sides quit caving in when it hit the cage. The 4 pt harness's allowed my sister and I to walk away with only mild bruises.
I would be interested to see how/if a person could make a functional exo-cage on a d-cab...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
ATLRoach said:
I tend to disagree. Cages are one of the most overlooked things people don't add to there rigs. You can be the best driver in the world but things happen that are outside your control and you can end up on your lid. Death in a roll over is not an option for me.
Which is why I have an internal cage. :D
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,843 Posts
Captkirkyota said:
Having a D-cab myself, I have looked quite a bit into this. However the rear door and the front door as well will not allow for a down tube there unless it is so far arched away from the truck as to make a nice hook point for everything under the sun. I have been giving serious thought to a down thru the roof tube right there, but then I worry about proper sealing and the issues that would be brought about with an exo/inner cage combo.
Tim Lund (formerly with ARB) has been working on an internal cage for the dcabs so you might contact him.
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
aelogbi said:
who said i sold my truck?
I heard something about you rolling it. Is it true?
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top