TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to swap a carrier with a power trax locker into an 8.4 rear end out of a Tacoma. The rear end currently has the factory ls so I am swapping the entire carrier asm. Anyone know where to get the differential carrier bearings? I would like to have the bearings installed and ready to go so all I have to do is swap the ring gear to minimize down time.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Master Install kits all over the place. They included all the bearings, shims, gaskets etc. that you will need. But I don't think you'll save much time, as most of the time is in the setup.

BTW I assume you are swapping both the ring and pinion gears as they are supplied in matched sets.

I am looking to swap a carrier with a power trax locker into an 8.4 rear end out of a Tacoma. The rear end currently has the factory ls so I am swapping the entire carrier asm. Anyone know where to get the differential carrier bearings? I would like to have the bearings installed and ready to go so all I have to do is swap the ring gear to minimize down time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Master Install kits all over the place. They included all the bearings, shims, gaskets etc. that you will need. But I don't think you'll save much time, as most of the time is in the setup.

BTW I assume you are swapping both the ring and pinion gears as they are supplied in matched sets.
No I am not swapping ring and pinion. I am just going to swap the ring gear off my current ls carrier onto the open carrier with the new power trax. I don't need a master install kit just the carrier side bearings.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I just tried to tell you that you can't just swap ring gears alone. Ring and pinion gears come matched sets. So you either have to swap in the matching pinion or get yourself a new gear set. Also by the time you try to track down just those bearnings you probably will have paid as much as for a master install set anyway. It's not like I haven't been here before ya know.

Maybe you should just pay the money at a rearend shop for someone to do it for you. I don't see a good ending in your future if you try it yourself.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I just tried to tell you that you can't just swap ring gears alone. Ring and pinion gears come matched sets. So you either have to swap in the matching pinion or get yourself a new gear set. Also by the time you try to track down just those bearnings you probably will have paid as much as for a master install set anyway. It's not like I haven't been here before ya know.

Maybe you should just pay the money at a rearend shop for someone to do it for you. I don't see a good ending in your future if you try it yourself.
He's reusing both the ring and pinion, just swapping the carrier.

Learn to read, dipshit!

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Well he couldn'a said that, asshat! :flipoff4:

So you go change his f'n gears for him if you're so smart and all. But don't expect him to pay ya diddly squat shit since he's already too cheap to buy the install kit.

He's reusing both the ring and pinion, just swapping the carrier.

Learn to read dipshit!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just because I have a low post count doesn't mean I incompetent. I aware that you dont know me or my level of mechanical skills so I am not going to take offense to you assumption of level of knowledge. I worked for cadillac for 7 years as an ase master tech specializing in heavy line. I originally installed the 4.88s in my truck at 40k miles and the truck currently has 114k miles on it without a rear end issue so I am pretty confident in knowing what I am doing. . I have a plenty of shims to set up the back lash correctly and there no need to remove and reinstall the pinion. There for a master install kit is a waste of money. That is why I am looking for a part number or place to buy the bearing. Also pretty sure I mentioned in an earlier post that I will be swapping the ring gear off my CURRENT ls(limited slip) carrier onto a new open carrier with a new power trax unit.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Well that cinches it. If you work for a stealership you probably do need all the help you can get, especially a Cadillac stealership.
From what I've seen, most dealerships can just barley manage an oil change anymore.

Just because I have a low post count doesn't mean I incompetent. I aware that you dont know me or my level of mechanical skills so I am not going to take offense to you assumption of level of knowledge. I worked for cadillac for 7 years as an ase master tech specializing in heavy line. I originally installed the 4.88s in my truck at 40k miles and the truck currently has 114k miles on it without a rear end issue so I am pretty confident in knowing what I am doing. . I have a plenty of shims to set up the back lash correctly and there no need to remove and reinstall the pinion. There for a master install kit is a waste of money. That is why I am looking for a part number or place to buy the bearing. Also pretty sure I mentioned in an earlier post that I will be swapping the ring gear off my CURRENT ls(limited slip) carrier onto a new open carrier with a new power trax unit.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
LOL, I think I still may have one of those somewhere.

Ah those were the good old days when some of us actually wheeled once in while. Now everyone got married, had kids, settled down and got old on me.

Dick Foster....... Making new friends all over the world via the internet! :lmao:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that cinches it. If you work for a stealership you probably do need all the help you can get, especially a Cadillac stealership.
From what I've seen, most dealerships can just barley manage an oil change anymore.
You have no idea how right you are. Cant tell you how many times I drained the transmission on accident.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
111 Posts
LOL, I think I still may have one of those somewhere.

Ah those were the good old days when some of us actually wheeled once in while. Now everyone got married, had kids, settled down and got old on me.
Ah those were the good old days when the gas prices werent so high and we didnt have to spend $200 to go wheelin.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Until just recently it didn't seem to be so bad. But now that the election effect is starting to kick in, gas will be high as the sky along with everything else.

I never thought I'd see the day when I thought anything under $4 a gallon was cheap. Back in the day when I was a kid, we used to take up pocket change to get some gas after cruising around all night. It was something like 20 cents a gallon back then (for 100+octane). The stations gave you trading stamps and dishes with the gas to thank you for buying their cheap gas instead of the cheap gas from the station across the street. They also pumped the gas, cleaned your windshield and checked under the hood for ya. Every service station had actual mechanics who did actual mechanical service work on cars like valve jobs etc. That's why they were called Service Stations, you actually got your car serviced there. Now they just wanna sell you a Slurpee, some Twinkies and a lottery card. Hell they don't even have so much as a battery charger on the premises anymore. And if you happen to want to air up your own tire, well then fuck you again, you can damn well pay extra for that too. Maybe we should start calling them Fucking Stations.

Ah those were the good old days when the gas prices werent so high and we didnt have to spend $200 to go wheelin.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
All the shit you remember from back in the day is dead and has turned into the oil and gas were burning today. :D

Until just recently it didn't seem to be so bad. But now that the election effect is starting to kick in, gas will be high as the sky along with everything else.

I never thought I'd see the day when I thought anything under $4 a gallon was cheap. Back in the day when I was a kid, we used to take up pocket change to get some gas after cruising around all night. It was something like 20 cents a gallon back then (for 100+octane). The stations gave you trading stamps and dishes with the gas to thank you for buying their cheap gas instead of the cheap gas from the station across the street. They also pumped the gas, cleaned your windshield and checked under the hood for ya. Every service station had actual mechanics who did actual mechanical service work on cars like valve jobs etc. That's why they were called Service Stations, you actually got your car serviced there. Now they just wanna sell you a Slurpee, some Twinkies and a lottery card. Hell they don't even have so much as a battery charger on the premises anymore. And if you happen to want to air up your own tire, well then fuck you again, you can damn well pay extra for that too. Maybe we should start calling them Fucking Stations.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
It must be some really good shit because they're sure as hell charging plenty for it.

This country is sitting on so much energy it isn't funny yet we're being raped at the pump and bend over again to heat and cool our homes while we're made to pay though the nose for all this solar and wind bullshit that will never be economically or ecologically viable. It's criminal and there are a lot of assholes who should be locked up or better yet hung for it.

All the shit you remember from back in the day is dead and has turned into the oil and gas were burning today. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
7 Participants
Dick Foster
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing