TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Tacoma SR5 V6 4WD Automatic Double Cab shakes dramatically when I encounter a steep downhill grade, with a smooth paved road, going anywhere from 25 to 65 mph., with or without a load of gear and/or passengers.
The more I apply the brake on a downhill, the more strongly it shakes. On a long downhill grade, it will shake all the way down. The further I have gone into a trip, the more likely it will shake if I encounter a steep downhill. It doesn’t always do this. When it does happen, the faster I am going, the more frequently it shakes (i.e., the pulses are closer together). It doesn’t happen when I am going downhill without braking, when I am on the flat, nor when I have to brake when going uphill. The one exception to this is that if I have to brake on a flat section immediately after a steep downhill on which it was shaking, it will shake. The shake can be felt by others in the vehicle, not just the driver. It is not just in the steering column, nor just in the brake pedal. The brake pedal is not pulsing rhythmically as it would if ABS braking were activated. I have had my brakes checked, brake rotors turned, tires balanced and rotated, all to no avail. The wear pattern on my tires does not indicate an alignment problem. My tires are BF Goodrich “Baja Champion” All-Terrain T/A. I would sincerely appreciate any ideas readers care to offer about what may be causing this shake and what I might do about it.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
My 2002 Tacoma SR5 V6 4WD Automatic Double Cab shakes dramatically when I encounter a steep downhill grade, with a smooth paved road, going anywhere from 25 to 65 mph., with or without a load of gear and/or passengers.
The more I apply the brake on a downhill, the more strongly it shakes. On a long downhill grade, it will shake all the way down. The further I have gone into a trip, the more likely it will shake if I encounter a steep downhill. It doesn’t always do this. When it does happen, the faster I am going, the more frequently it shakes (i.e., the pulses are closer together). It doesn’t happen when I am going downhill without braking, when I am on the flat, nor when I have to brake when going uphill. The one exception to this is that if I have to brake on a flat section immediately after a steep downhill on which it was shaking, it will shake. The shake can be felt by others in the vehicle, not just the driver. It is not just in the steering column, nor just in the brake pedal. The brake pedal is not pulsing rhythmically as it would if ABS braking were activated. I have had my brakes checked, brake rotors turned, tires balanced and rotated, all to no avail. The wear pattern on my tires does not indicate an alignment problem. My tires are BF Goodrich “Baja Champion” All-Terrain T/A. I would sincerely appreciate any ideas readers care to offer about what may be causing this shake and what I might do about it.
warped front rotors. I know...you had them turned. that doesn't always work with modern Toyota rotors, unfortunately. I had 3 sets replaced under warranty years ago until Toyota gave up.

or a bad caliper

·
Registered
128 Posts
I recently had this happen to me when one of the inside edge Pistons in the drivers side caliper was stuck out. I forced it back in with a big c-clamp until i get a chance to fix it properly and it doesn't vibrate anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts