TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently destroyed my drivers front fender and then in a separate indecent killed the drivers front marker light which also houses the turn signal. I've always thought about doing a tube fender for my truck like the jeeps have but none of our aftermarket companies produce them.
I know I've seen a couple tube fenders on older trucks and whatnot but they are custom.

What I want is something along the lines of this:

It would have a dove nose front style and would delete the marker light from the front of my truck.

It's be wider at the rear and curve in at the front.. Just picture it on the truck above..

I'm thinking about taking a trip to either Allpro or Demello right around the corner and seeing what they could do for me..

The main purpose of this thread is to see if anyone has any pictures of a tube fender on either a Tacoma or a Toyota Truck/ 4Runner. If so post up pics. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I recently destroyed my drivers front fender and then in a separate indecent killed the drivers front marker light which also houses the turn signal. I've always thought about doing a tube fender for my truck like the jeeps have but none of our aftermarket companies produce them.
I know I've seen a couple tube fenders on older trucks and whatnot but they are custom.

What I want is something along the lines of this:

It would have a dove nose front style and would delete the marker light from the front of my truck.

It's be wider at the rear and curve in at the front.. Just picture it on the truck above..

I'm thinking about taking a trip to either Allpro or Demello right around the corner and seeing what they could do for me..

The main purpose of this thread is to see if anyone has any pictures of a tube fender on either a Tacoma or a Toyota Truck/ 4Runner. If so post up pics. Thanks.
i love the idea! you have alot of room by cutting out the headlights and corner markers and replacing the corner markers in the bumper and running a small headlight... just gotta find on ethat fits or cu tthe old one to fit!

but a small issue are you gonna just line the inner fender well with tube or do you want it to stick out like a geep? the esthitcally pleasing option would be to flare you fender way out then cut it up high so that you decrease the vertical angle of the fender and you end up with a crazy shape and hopefully some functional protection. but its gonna take alot of time and work to pull that one off!

ideas? besides not making a taco look like a jeep?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
ive also thought about doing this. if you take the fender off you can see (just like the jeep fenders) that sheet metal mounts to where the stock bolts go, another section goes to the outside of the truck (where you see the small flat peice before the tube), and then you have your outer actual tube. it'd be trial and error getting it to look right on the truck probably, but a neat idea. only bad thing is when you smack something with one of those fender guess what gets damaged??? ill give you 2 guesses...and its not the fender ;)

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I like the idea, but I think you're looking for something a little more radical than what Hillbilly posted above.

I did up a really crude photoshop for you:

This would be squared off, not rounded fender wells. You would lose the last few inches on each end of your bumper. The red area is where sheet metal filler panels would have to be made.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I like the idea, but I think you're looking for something a little more radical than what Hillbilly posted above.

I did up a really crude photoshop for you:

This would be squared off, not rounded fender wells. You would lose the last few inches on each end of your bumper. The red area is where sheet metal filler panels would have to be made.
cute ms paint pic :p

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far no one has gotten it.

I don't want to cut the fender and make a rolled exo tube.
I want to delete the fender and go with tube/ sheet.
Thanks for the paint jobs so far.. Heres what my non steady hands could come up with to illustrate my point. Any part of the original fender you see would obviously not be there.. Just didn't want a big gaping hole there. I also but red dots where there is an attachment point.
Silverback, You have good points, and I'm guessing your referring to the core support giving before the fender?

Anyway, Here's what I came up with.

The main tube would have to curve in towards the hood near the antennae area before it makes the curve down towards the front of the truck. Also, I wouldn't connect it to the bumper like Sar_Squid illustrated in his picture. Body and frame need to flex differently. ;) The lower tube would be the piece that shows the dovenose. It'd curve inwards which would make the sheet metal almost near vertical.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I think it would be a bit of a mistake, and look like shit, if you didn't reuse the little top section of the fender near where it meets the hood, like in my photochop.

I didn't mean to make it look as if the fender tube connected to the bumper. You're 100% correct that the fender should be independent of the bumper.

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it would be a bit of a mistake, and look like shit, if you didn't reuse the little top section of the fender near where it meets the hood, like in my photochop.

I didn't mean to make it look as if the fender tube connected to the bumper. You're 100% correct that the fender should be independent of the bumper.
Those whole point of doing this is to get rid of the factory fenders...
When you say mistake what do you mean?

Here's one of the only examples I can find:

EDIT: Same truck can be seen in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NotYPcLcaNo

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Those whole point of doing this is to get rid of the factory fenders...
When you say mistake what do you mean?
There are a lot of curves, and body lines through the fender area. Keeping that very top part of the fender would be the best way (IMO) to keep it looking really clean. Otherwise, there's going to either have to be a lot of ugly dead open space, or a lot of sheet metal work.

The part that goes down behind the tire, in front of the door, could easily be covered and blended nicely with tube.

I think it's unlikely that you'd dent anything that high-up on the fender... I think you'd be getting really ugly or really expensive with the fabrication, if you ditched the ENTIRE fender.

But it's your truck. Do what you want. I'm sure Demello can come up with something really nice for you.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I like the idea....Ive been thinking about doing the same thing to my hilux as the front tube fenders below, thou slightly wider maybe with a rubber 3" sidemount flare between the panel and the tube (we need the complete tyre covered here) so I can run 35's with a 3" lift -

Hilux fender openings are alot smaller than the taco's and this is the only way to achieve it :saw:

yes, am surpruised no ones has made a set for the Taco's or FJ's yet?

1 - 20 of 158 Posts