TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all fellow tacoma owners im getting ready to install my first manual hub conversion kit on my 04 tacoma dc 4x4 and have been studying my directions and i need to find some sort of spanner socket to take my hub axle nut off and cant seem to find one any where. ive looked at all the tool supplyers i could think of and cant seem to find one. the nut has to be torqued to 203lbs so im gonna need a socket for it not the spanner wrench. the nut only has four dowel like holes in it and that is the only way of taking it off so it has to be some sort of a spanner socket im guessing.

any help please
thanks

·
Registered
852 Posts
When I took off my axle nut to replace my CV bolt, I just used a socket (37mm, I believe). I found it at Checker's Auto Parts.

I'm not sure what nut you're talking about that has the 4 holes in it. The hub nut on my truck was a regular old 6-sided nut...

Good luck,
-Radar

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
The axle nut on all ADD Tacomas and FJ Cruisers is 35mm.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
nope thats not the hub nut guys. thats just to hold the cv in the spindle.

on the back side there is a big nut like he said with 4 dowle holes.
that is how you take the bearing and hub apart. i will be needing to do this to replace the add bearing before i put my manual hubs on my junk.

hey mikemannn is that the exact tool?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I am currently in need of that same style Spanner Socket to do the Wheel Bearings in a Geo Tracker. I tried Advanced Auto and ended up walking right out because the Idiot behind the Counter was completely clueless!

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey mikemannn is that the exact tool?
i just threw the pic up to show you what it's gonna look like. shouldn't have done that since i've never had a toyota hub apart, the last one i did was on a 80something ford 4x4. I was just looking around and it seems you'll need whats called a "toyota front wheel bearing locknut wrench"..
like this:
http://www.shop.com/Toyota_Front_Wheel_Bearing_Locknut_Wrench_-42986766-56796134-p!.shtml

looks the same as the one in the FSM

Toyota Front Wheel Bearing Locknut Wrench
Toyotas front wheel bearing design change requires a new procedure to remove the locknut: The free wheel hub assemblys locknut is on the inside, so the hub must be removed to gain access. This wrenchs four-pin design accommodates the four holes in each locknut, which prevents slippage under high torquing requirements. Works on 1995 and newer Tacoma, and 1996 and newer T100 and 4Runner.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I am not sure this will work, but it's an idea for you. You need a special socket to remove the hub nut on Dana axles.

I can't remember the size my dana 44 uses, but I do think there are three sizes for GM's, small, medium, and you guessed it…large.

the dana 44 uses the medium and my friend has the large for his dana 60. They both have four prongs on them, so I am thinking that if you find the right size then it should work for you.

Just a thought, good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
tacoma hub nut socket

ORS has the tool you need. Scroll down the page and see "ORS Manual Hub Conversion Kit Locknut Socket" for $52.95.

Rick

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you are doing a conversion, you only have to take that nut off, but you don't have to put it back on. That nut is only used in two wheel drive trucks to hold the wheel bearings together. In the 4wd trucks the axle and 35mm axle nut holds it all together, and the special nut is not installed. So if you are not going to put the two wheel drive spindle back together, forget the special nut and just take it off with an air hammer and chisel or something.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That nut is definately needed, it is what holds the hub onto the bearing. if it isnt there, your hub will eventually work it's way out of the spindle, leaving you with no front wheels! OTC7941 is the equivelant of the toyota sst, and can be bought online. Search the part number in google and many sources will pop up.

For the manual hub, the outer 35? mm nut is not used, and a snap ring is used to hold the axle in the hub (from the outside). Then, the manual "switch" is installed over the axle and on the hub.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Maybe I should have read the post better. I was thinking 4wd conversion with add, not manual hub conversion.:eek:

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you are doing a conversion, you only have to take that nut off, but you don't have to put it back on. That nut is only used in two wheel drive trucks to hold the wheel bearings together. In the 4wd trucks the axle and 35mm axle nut holds it all together, and the special nut is not installed. So if you are not going to put the two wheel drive spindle back together, forget the special nut and just take it off with an air hammer and chisel or something.
That nut is definately needed, it is what holds the hub onto the bearing. if it isnt there, your hub will eventually work it's way out of the spindle, leaving you with no front wheels! OTC7941 is the equivelant of the toyota sst, and can be bought online. Search the part number in google and many sources will pop up.

For the manual hub, the outer 35? mm nut is not used, and a snap ring is used to hold the axle in the hub (from the outside). Then, the manual "switch" is installed over the axle and on the hub.

Just to clarify:
-ADD systems use the 35mm nut on the end of the axle hub
-4WD manual hub trucks (and conversions) use the 4-prong nut behind the bearing

These are used to hold the hub in the bearing so the wheel doesn't fall off.

Toyota does have a SST. We've used it. It sucks and likes to break. The best we've found (still breaks every now and then) is the OTT socket, OTT PN 4543-1. We sell this at $52.95, ORS-HB020. This OTT version can also be found through Snap On, Mac, etc. Sometimes they sell it in a set with other sockets that work with other above mentioned applications.

Hope we helped instead of clutter.....

Here is our socket:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to clarify:
-ADD systems use the 35mm nut on the end of the axle hub
-4WD manual hub trucks (and conversions) use the 4-prong nut behind the bearing

These are used to hold the hub in the bearing so the wheel doesn't fall off.

Toyota does have a SST. We've used it. It sucks and likes to break. The best we've found (still breaks every now and then) is the OTT socket, OTT PN 4543-1. We sell this at $52.95, ORS-HB020. This OTT version can also be found through Snap On, Mac, etc. Sometimes they sell it in a set with other sockets that work with other above mentioned applications.

Hope we helped instead of clutter.....

Here is our socket:
Do you know what that four prong nut torques to??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts