TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has a 96 4wd Tacoma and we are looking into lift options for him. He is a college student as well and needs it to be economical. Right now he is running a topper on his truck and several hundred pounds of stuff in the back. His truck is scary to drive. The shocks in the rear are going out and the springs are WAY too soft. (Were certain Tacoma's plagued with this??) We are going to do a lift and rebuild the rear packs a lot stiffer. He doesn't wheel much but we also want to do it "right"

From what I understand there are a few options:

1- Spacers in the struts. I helped a buddy do this to a Sequoia. Its hard on the struts, rides rough, and doesn't flex but it gets the "lift" job done

2- Tundra struts. Dont know much here other than Kyle mentioned it was a possibility.

3- Different coil overs. Toytec/Bilsteins/etc These are more expensive options. Are they worth it? Whats a good cheap option for coils and for struts?

It seems like there are a lot of options here. Whats worth it for the price understanding that $400 is probably the limit here with cheaper = better.

·
7,735 Posts
I would stay away from spacers. In my book, they are more for looks and less about functionality, for exactly the reasons you mentioned above (stiff ride, etc). I'd look at OME with 882 springs for the extra load capacity.

For the rear, I'd look at either custom Alcans (around $250 per side) or Deaver.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Sas

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You can get some Bilstein 5100 adjustables up front for around $200 from Toytec. 3 different settings 0" to 2.5" of lift using stock springs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys. I just was able to talk to my brother on the phone about the options here. It also looks like the OME 881 springs would be the best. (He has no extra weight up front and probably will never add a bumper) We have a couple more questions now

1) OME 90004s vs Bilstein 5100s. The Bilsteins are cheaper by $70 roughly. Can you pair the OME springs with the Bilsteins and achieve around 2" of lift?

"Settings for stock, 1.25" (for leveling) or 2.5"lift in one shock"

Does this mean with the factory springs?? So what does it do with a lift spring??

2) The Tundra option doesn't allow you to use the Tundra struts correct, only the springs? So you would pair a OME or Bilstein with a Tundra spring correct?

He can't afford Alcans (I wish) so we are just going to build our own packs.

...All this coilover madness, BJ spacers were so simple.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
You can use the complete Tundra strut. It's the same mounting, and you probably get valving that's a little more appropriate for the spring.

Good call on building your own packs for the rear.

This was the same lift I did on my Tacoma. Built packs for the rear with the help of TacoToy. Cost me like $25. Tundra struts in the front cost me like $50 + however much for a 1" spacer to get to a full 3". I also did a u-bolt flip and shock relocation that added to the cost a bit...again, with the help of TacoToy. Overall it was like $300 for everything. Did it ride a little rough? Hell yeah. But it was no worse than any other lifted Tacoma I rode in, regardless of the lift.

It was a bit of an overwhelming project to basically make my own lift as a beginner to the sport when I was 16. So I was basically screwed without help from Rich. Make sure you can help your brother through this stuff.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I went with the whole ome set up w/882's and aal and I like it a lot little ruff ride I guess but nothing too bad, also have my sway bar off so maybe it'd be better/worse.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Bjarker, don't see you on here much anymore. We need to do another Eagle Rock trip sometime.
Was thinking the exact same thing......now that there is snow again :D

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

·
7,735 Posts
tons and links and 4D's.. tons and links and 4D's... you just can't drive off pavement without tons and links and at least 40" tires!

Hell, if you're going to go over the top, you might as well go all the way over the top.

You guys with your silly toy axles, you know you can't wheel those without breaking!

oh, wait, yeah, that's right... you can actually do alot of wheeling without running the most ultimate bad ass setup. It must just depend on what kind of wheeling you plan to do, how much money you have to spend and how much modification you want to make to your truck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm maybe we should start pricing out tons for his 33s...

Exactly. We're building his to be practical. IFS is even better than an axle in this case because its more practical ( EEGADS! :eek: ) Needs to hand well on the street and perform well in mild offroad situations.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts