TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If given the option, I never thought I would say this, but Ram would be my choice. I just rented back to back a brand new Tacoma double cab v6 followed a week later by a ram 1500 with a hemi.

The Ram was just a better truck all around. It handled better, had tons of more power, had much more features, a better interior design, a little more room, and MUCH better gas mileage. Hard to believe that you could get 7mpg better with a v8 hemi than the Toyota v6. On top of all the Dodge is less expensive. I can't figure out why people still buy Tacomas.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
If given the option, I never thought I would say this, but Ram would be my choice. I just rented back to back a brand new Tacoma double cab v6 followed a week later by a ram 1500 with a hemi.

The Ram was just a better truck all around. It handled better, had tons of more power, had much more features, a better interior design, a little more room, and MUCH better gas mileage. Hard to believe that you could get 7mpg better with a v8 hemi than the Toyota v6. On top of all the Dodge is less expensive. I can't figure out why people still buy Tacomas.
The ram is a mechanical pos and rusts way to quickly here. Driving a Ram/dodge truck here has always been considered ghey. Not sure why but its always been like that.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
The Ram has been gone over every couple years since Fiat took the helm. The tacoma hasn't been touched since 05.
One is proven, the other is so shitty the manufacturer HAS TO keep redesigning it every couple years in order to make people buy it. I think you can figure out which is which.

Keep driving whatever you're driving now and wait until the next gen Tacoma comes out. Then you can start comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ordered a brand new Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 back in 1997. It was nothing but a headache the entire time I had it. Lousy gas mileage (and I drive easy). Problems with the steering shaft was just the beginning. I had the dealer flush the trans at 84000 miles - 2 weeks later the transmission went out. The dealer said it was not caused by them and put in a reman for $3100. I got the truck back and put it in Truck Trader magazine after taking delivery of a new 2003 Tacoma 4x4.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
I ordered a brand new Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 back in 1997. It was nothing but a headache the entire time I had it. Lousy gas mileage (and I drive easy). Problems with the steering shaft was just the beginning. I had the dealer flush the trans at 84000 miles - 2 weeks later the transmission went out. The dealer said it was not caused by them and put in a reman for $3100. I got the truck back and put it in Truck Trader magazine after taking delivery of a new 2003 Tacoma 4x4.
Except for the motor, tranny, rear end, electronics and sensors they are okay. The target demographic, just like Chrysler minivans, are people looking for a bargain. They are cheap but low quality, go figure.:)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The point being isn't that the Ram has improved, but that Toyota hasn't. The Tacoma is not the Tacoma it once was. There is no reason that a Detroit v8 should get better gas mileage than a Toyota v6.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
The point being isn't that the Ram has improved, but that Toyota hasn't. The Tacoma is not the Tacoma it once was. There is no reason that a Detroit v8 should get better gas mileage than a Toyota v6.
A great point out but I'd like to see proof. If that is in fact true how much more reliable is the Detroit V8? Similarly to ecar95 I also notice more American cars with more options for a much lower price. Although I also see more American cars falling apart. My friend's Yukon had a engine completely fail at 40k miles. The paint on the handles were chipping off and a slew of other problems.
Looking at the customer complaints it seems as the Dodge has a crap ton compared to the Toyota. Is MPG worth more than Quality? This is not to say that the Tacoma is with out its problems just much less.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I think the 2nd gen Tacomas are too big, but that is personal opinion. The 4 door long bed looks like a damn greyhound going down the road.

That being said, I also agree that the V6 mileage is pretty dismal.

In Summary, the first gen tacos are where it is at. :D

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I think the 2nd gen Tacomas are too big, but that is personal opinion. The 4 door long bed looks like a damn greyhound going down the road.

That being said, I also agree that the V6 mileage is pretty dismal.

In Summary, the first gen tacos are where it is at. :D
My Opinion is the opposite, lol. I think my current 08 Ext Cab is the perfect size, not too big and not too small. The clamshell doors make it so much easier loading shit in and out versus my old 2000. Agreed on the MPGs not being as good as they could though.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Opinion is the opposite, lol. I think my current 08 Ext Cab is the perfect size, not too big and not too small. The clamshell doors make it so much easier loading shit in and out versus my old 2000. Agreed on the MPGs not being as good as they could though.
I like the ext cab, but they are almost impossible to find. People seem content with a bed that is smaller than most trunks to get the 4 door.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A great point out but I'd like to see proof. If that is in fact true how much more reliable is the Detroit V8? Similarly to ecar95 I also notice more American cars with more options for a much lower price. Although I also see more American cars falling apart. My friend's Yukon had a engine completely fail at 40k miles. The paint on the handles were chipping off and a slew of other problems.
Looking at the customer complaints it seems as the Dodge has a crap ton compared to the Toyota. Is MPG worth more than Quality? This is not to say that the Tacoma is with out its problems just much less.
10 years ago, I might agree with the idea that a Toyota would be more reliable. Now, I don't see that as the case. They all source their parts from the same vendors. Very little of your Toyota is actually made by Toyota.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Not if you are into wheeling...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Comparing a Tacoma to a Ram 1500 is not an even comparison. I understand that these are the two vehicles that you happened to rent back to back, thus the comparison... but a Tundra is obviously the better candidate for a side-by-side comparison since they are the same class of truck and both have V8's.

I wouldn't be surprised if the current Tundra with the 4.6 V8 gets the same or better gas mileage than the V6 Tacoma since the Tundy's are geared so tall.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Comparing a Tacoma to a Ram 1500 is not an even comparison. I understand that these are the two vehicles that you happened to rent back to back, thus the comparison... but a Tundra is obviously the better candidate for a side-by-side comparison since they are the same class of truck and both have V8's.

I wouldn't be surprised if the current Tundra with the 4.6 V8 gets the same or better gas mileage than the V6 Tacoma since the Tundy's are geared so tall.
I would never have compared them had I not rented them. My point was to show that something substantially larger and typically not held in very high regard exceeded my appreciation of something I have known and loved. There is no reason that a heavier truck with a v8 should get much better mileage than a truck with a v6 and smaller size. That kind of defeats the purpose of getting a smaller truck. Add in the fact that you are getting more features for a lower price and it makes the comparison even more one sided. Granted reliability isn't something Dodge is known for, but you can buy a lot of parts for it and still have more money in your pocket than buying a Tacoma.

Of course this is all theoretical. I could never bring myself to buying a new Dodge.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I would never have compared them had I not rented them. My point was to show that something substantially larger and typically not held in very high regard exceeded my appreciation of something I have known and loved. There is no reason that a heavier truck with a v8 should get much better mileage than a truck with a v6 and smaller size. That kind of defeats the purpose of getting a smaller truck. Add in the fact that you are getting more features for a lower price and it makes the comparison even more one sided. Granted reliability isn't something Dodge is known for, but you can buy a lot of parts for it and still have more money in your pocket than buying a Tacoma.

Of course this is all theoretical. I could never bring myself to buying a new Dodge.
My buddy shelled out some cash in the past 6 months on Dodge, new Ram, new Challenger, and new Dart, I think the Dealer loves seeing him.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts