TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its true. me and my friends were horseing around on some dirt roads and he tried to cut a doughnut around a stop sign to go back the other way and ended up in a ditch with his front tires in the ditch stuck. The ditch was about 2 ft deep. So I went to go get some chains and pulled him out. It took a couple of tries but it worked I was surprise my taco pulled it out.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
its true. me and my friends were horseing around on some dirt roads and he tried to cut a doughnut around a stop sign to go back the other way and ended up in a ditch with his front tires in the ditch stuck. The ditch was about 2 ft deep. So I went to go get some chains and pulled him out. It took a couple of tries but it worked I was surprise my taco pulled it out.
got any pics?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i didnt have my phone or anything to get it out with. i wish i would have had it because i didnt think i could pull him out. my truck don't have the TRD locking differential or anything. just some slick tires.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
TRD rear end doesn't do much when 2 tires are already on the ground...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
used chains to pull your friends out of a ditch not safe man time to go buy some recovery straps just incase

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah

WTF is wrong with chains? For a steady pull, they work fine. A true snatch strap is necessary to pull out somebody who is stuck BAD, or a 3/4-1 ton truck, but they aren't always necessary. It's always nice to pull a domestic out with your "jap crap."

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
WTF is wrong with chains? For a steady pull, they work fine. A true snatch strap is necessary to pull out somebody who is stuck BAD, or a 3/4-1 ton truck, but they aren't always necessary. It's always nice to pull a domestic out with your "jap crap."
x2. i will use my chain before ill pull out my straps.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Quoted from Here:

A new, 1-inch nylon rope in excellent condition has a breaking strength of up to 25,000 pounds. New steel cable of 1 inch diameter in excellent condition may break at 10,000 pounds, and chain with links make of half-inch diameter material may break at 2,400 pounds
You may want to rethink your decision.

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah

Haha, I'll take real world experience over that information. I've seen a chain made of material MUCH smaller than 1/2 pull MUCH more than 2400 lbs without a problem. My truck was buried in mud halfway up the doors, my friend was YANKING it with a chain, getting a running start and hitting the end, the chain was tied on with a couple half-hitches. We're talking tons of force. We broke two tow straps. The chain didn't. Of all the pulling I've seen done with a chain, I've never seen one break. I've seen several tow straps break. They break where they are attached. Chains don't. Yes, sometimes the only way of pulling out a bad stuck is to get a running start with a tow strap, but chains are still more reliable. Sorry dude.
-Dan

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Seriously, is it that big of a deal?

We've both got to have read that crap 1286.688456 times. Mabye .311544 more times.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Haha, I'll take real world experience over that information. I've seen a chain made of material MUCH smaller than 1/2 pull MUCH more than 2400 lbs without a problem. My truck was buried in mud halfway up the doors, my friend was YANKING it with a chain, getting a running start and hitting the end, the chain was tied on with a couple half-hitches. We're talking tons of force. We broke two tow straps. The chain didn't. Of all the pulling I've seen done with a chain, I've never seen one break. I've seen several tow straps break. They break where they are attached. Chains don't. Yes, sometimes the only way of pulling out a bad stuck is to get a running start with a tow strap, but chains are still more reliable. Sorry dude.
-Dan
Well you've been lucky so far! ....and I now know to stay clear of ya...thank you for that! ...seriously... broken strap and what consequences?...broken strap. Broken chain (and you have to believe that this IS possible)...and what consequences?... well I don't wanna find out.. call me chicken, but yanking on a chain with vehicles...wow...that's not an 'if', but a 'when'.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i have personally seen this happen.my cherokee was stuck BAD.a z71 and a powerwagon did a joint yank with a chain you see on big ass tow trucks.the chain snapped on the third yank.the force of it breaking snapped it back hard and fast enough that it cut through the bed of the powerwagon like butter

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Overall chain is just not good for recovery. Not only are more likely to break off a recovery point and turn it into a missle but you also put added stress to the truck doing the pulling. Chain should only be used as a last resort.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Hell, just the weight and chance of getting pinched makes me avoid chain whenever possible!

But, when you're going to be applying a steady load, don't want stretch, and need adjustability, (ie tying off the winching vehicle to the tree strap) chain is the thing to use!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
well the biggest difference between a chain and strap is, what do you want to get hurt more when it breaks? your truck or theirs?

ide go with straps, but thats just preference, and if i didnt have them with me, ide use what i can, which is probably what you did huh?

·
Registered
166 Posts
back to the original topic of the thread....nice job pulling out the chevy. I pulled out a 3/4 ton chevy that was burried to the frame in mud with my 4runner once...gave the ol' 3.0 a little workout, but I got him out.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
most likely i'll be pulling out my co-workers chevy silverado, he went wheelin with me when i still only had my 73 GMC, and he was tryin some stuff he'de be in trouble if i didnt talk him out of it, since he only has the v-6 2wd, no locker, bald street tires, it would have been fun, and he still wants to do more crazier stuff, it'll be fun cuz he's all mad at me for buying a "Stupid Jap Toyota", and ill just laugh at him once he gets stuck

·
Registered
552 Posts
Chains have been used for many years and still are in the real world. About the only people who use tow straps are herds and yuppies,Lol. The chain is to heavy for them. Mike

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
true, but straps can be stored in smaller places, and aren't as dirty

1 - 20 of 35 Posts