TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bump back to the top.

I can make the bumpers shorder for those of you with the fendor flairs, if you don't want to cut your flairs down.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
are you accepting criticism as well as compliments ?

I'm not all that fond of the way the upper primary tube turns in tight into the body's sheet metal (as it wraps forward and inward) while approaching the wheel well's flare.

I would guess... it is an attempt to eliminate the possibility of a snag.
But a decent hit or repetitive beatings... and it might be into the sheet metal... is my thinking.

My All-Pro upper primary tube sticks out somewhat further from the body's sheet metal...
And I don't ever recollect that not being able to push around a boulder or that becoming a hang up point.
More importantly (for me) it promises a little more clearance to the body's sheet metal... above the tube work.
^ valuable to me in off camber situations.

An 2" receiver receptacle is a must for me...
even if it were only labeled as an recovery point.
But it should be built to withstand more then it is rated/claimed for... IMO

If it were still sub par... like the All-Pro's hitch receiver/recovery point is...
Then it would need reinforcing... IMO
And so since I have the AP bumper... that's what I did.

added cost to certify this bumper for a tow rating... would likely push production costs above a price, I'd be willing to pay.

building a bumper strong enough for towing is a big thing in my eye.
It don't need to be rated... for me to see whether or not it's strong enough.

owning a welder... makes me think outside of the box.

would be interesting to know... what this bumper might cost with an rating certification...
But I am doubtful it could be competitive in pricing.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Dell,

Are you interested in getting rid of your AP bumper?

The side protection keeps a minimum of 1/2" clearance between the bumper and the body, and this minimum is at the corner. Um near the wheel well there is more clearance. In addition the sides are supported directly back to the mounting plates between the two mounting bolts on the frame. It would take a hit that would dent/damage anything to get the wings into the sheet metal.

Also 3 months ago we did come out with a class 3 rated hitch bumper tested and proven to be ready for WAY more than a Tacoma can throw at it. Check them out here.

BTW, if you'd like to see something custom done give me a call and we can talk about.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
ttt

No.. sorry not yet... I haven't killed it yet...

I like the class 3 bumper you have tho'.
and if I did need to purchase... it'd be that unit. ;)

It's real similar in how I modded the AP unit.

I'm only towing 1,300 lbs max, so I don't need the brute strength of a class 3.

Say... on that class 3 unit... it looks as if the spare tire wouldn't fit up in there...

does it ?

Adam, here's a bump for your sales... and a nice product. :kewl:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
No the spare doesn't. One of the draw backs of keeping it low profile. :( I don't know that anything over 33 fits up there anyway, but I could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
nice i want one but its the last thing to get on my bucket list of protection "/ i got a long way to go until i get a rear bumper.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts