TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oing to plate box my frame in and cant dint the right size metal to use for a crossmember what size did u guys use alls i can find is 3' and 4' and its closer to 3.75" so uu dioont know??

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Buy a sheet, and cut it out to the sizes you need. It's cheaper than trying to find the perfect pieces.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
oing to plate box my frame in and cant dint the right size metal to use for a crossmember what size did u guys use alls i can find is 3' and 4' and its closer to 3.75" so uu dioont know??
Hiding your keys when you're drinking should apply to keyboards too.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Not to discourage.

I thought about boxing in my frame, till I got around to thinking about taking the bed off, the gas tank down, brake lines, electrical stuff to the back of the truck, the bumper, tire carrier, reciever hitch. Then I thought, nah 3/8s inch fishplate and cut the bed brackets. :p

Fishplating is a whole lot easier. :rolleyes:

Wally

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Takes less than a day to do the tear down and start boxing. There's all of ONE wiring loom that goes to the back 3 fuel lines to the tank and 6 bolts in the tank so that's not a big deal. You don't need to disconnect brake lines and the bumper can stay on as long as it doesn't interfere w/ the bed coming off. Not a big deal. See my write up for some details.
X2 and a way cleaner finished product...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I would agree that boxing the is a worthy project. I don't disagree that it can be done in a day or two, but not in the same amount of time as fishplates.

Fishplates signficantly increases the strenth of the frame, and not a lot of extra steps.

Wally

1 - 7 of 7 Posts