TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got hit by a thief.
Went outside to work on my truck today and find my rear slider smashed and my radio and 2M radio stolen. Dumb kids, can't even aspire to steal more. They left my 137 piece Craftsman toolset and brand new $120 set of Craftsman quick ratchet set.

Anyways....
Is the center window on the rear sliding window replaceable? Or do I have to replace the whole slider? I have the 01 so I do have the one piece slider.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i thought you had a shell? Sorry, no info on your rears :( You should replace it with a solid, i wouldn't mind one.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i dont lock the shell bc there's nothing in the shell. so they just opened the shell and broke my middle slider window.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Would like an answer to this question. Friend of mine got his busted out and wants it fixed on the cheap.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Don't know of any way to fix it cheap but I can tell you this. It doesn't matter if it's a solid back window or a slider. If they want in they will break it anyway. Get an alarm or park it in a garage. Still no guarantee they won't break in. They see the fancy stereo equipment and they are coming in to get it. Where's my GUN!!!!! Sorry for your loss and I hope they catch the one that did it, Mike

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup, i have an alarm but somehow it got turned on valet mode (who the fuck uses this mode anyways) and i was too lazy to get it turned back into regular mode. i didn't think anyone would want my ghetto outdated sony cd player but i guess i was wrong. never underestimate the patheticness of criminals.

·
Banned
966 Posts
bump for some answers.....
call CR Laurence (http://www.crlaurence.com/) to see if they have a replacement center section for your slider.

like Mike-in-WV has said, if they want it they'll take it. i'll note however, only the more experienced theives will try the harder stuff, like breaking through a solid window. a slider is easier to break through and as such it will attract the "kiddy" thieves.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nothing there, but thanks for the link.
this guy broke though my center window so i'm not sure why he wouldn't break through a slightly bigger piece of glass.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I got hit by a "professional criminal" just before Xmas! (Sheriff officer said that the guy made a living from breaking into cars)

Anyway he broke into my BMW that is practically on blocks and my Taco. He went threw the neighborhood and hit about 10 people, before the cops chased him down. He was caught because he got lost within our subdivision (dumbass!)

I was lucky that he only broke my slider and the drivers side of the BMW and broke the glove box on the car (and still didn't get into it). He couldn't get into my truck because of the center support of my roll cage.:D He should have looked up though, My amp is mounted right above where he broke into.

sorry, got distracted, to answer your question though. All I found out was that the entire rear window has to be replaced, that they do not just sell/replace the smaller pieces.

What I did (which looks a little ghetto but oh well) was I went to Lowes, got some plexi and made my own sliding window. I took the Locking brackets and edging off the broken window pieces and put them on the plexi, works good IMO. and the only reason it looks ghetto to me is because my windows are tinted and I have not tinted the plexi yet. But others tell me that they can not even tell the window was replaced other than it not having the tint on it..

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
966 Posts
cant you get the center piece replaced with a tempered piece of glass from a local glass-&-mirror shop ???

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cant you get the center piece replaced with a tempered piece of glass from a local glass-&-mirror shop ???
i believe that is my next best option.
one of the glass shops in town said that they might have a used center piece for me. they collect a bunch of rear sliders.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how much did the center plexi cost? i might just go that route bc i dont feel like spending 150+ bucks for a new window that i hardly ever even use.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I think I paid something like $12 for it, maybe less. I had other items I bought that day and can't remember the exact price. I know it wasn't much. Was thinking about getting a larger piece for the Beamer since it only sits in the driveway. ( I need to rebuild the engine before it is road worthy) I just need to keep the weather out of it while I store it.

In regards to the glass companies, I don't know. as When my window was broken we were expecting bad weather and I wanted to get it done quickly so I could still drive it to work. But I would imagine if you could find the right company that had spare windows from other jobs. that would work out the best for you.

But I know by putting the Plexi in.replacing just the slider could be a task. I had to bend the plexi a good bit just to get it back into the sliding track. I am not sure how you would get it back in the track

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But I know by putting the Plexi in.replacing just the slider could be a task. I had to bend the plexi a good bit just to get it back into the sliding track. I am not sure how you would get it back in the track
i was worried about that. perhaps the glass shop can take the whole unit out, loosen the frame, and stick the glass in?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts