TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where (if it has one) a 2004 toyota tacoma v6 trd xtracab's resonator is located?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wat does the intake resonator do? will it make the exhaust louder or more air to come in if i remove it?

·
Registered
556 Posts
allen8802 said:
wat does the intake resonator do? will it make the exhaust louder or more air to come in if i remove it?
It actually makes the intake quieter. If you do the ISR (intake silencer removal) mod, you'll get a deep roar at WOT. The same amount of air will go through the intake with or without the silencer... I think.

·
Registered
264 Posts
allen8802 said:
It is definitely louder with it removed.

More air? Some think a smoother intake track is better for performance. I think taking it off may help the high end but hurt your low end performance, since you loose that surge volume. I can't prove it though.. :cool:

·
Registered
556 Posts
allen8802 said:
where exactly is it located? can u take a pic of where urs is located and post it for me?
Well, if you have the 3.4L V6 5V-FE engine, it's the square-ish looking box connected to about the middle of the intake tube. It has a small vacuum hose connected to it that runs to the other side of the engine bay.

·
Registered
264 Posts
allen8802 said:
where exactly is it located? can u take a pic of where urs is located and post it for me?
Do you know where your intake tube is? How about your throttle body? And your airbox?

The resonator is the plastic box hanging off the front of the intake tube between the airbox and the throttle body.

Edit: Will this show up? This is a picture of a 4runner but it is the same resonator.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea i know where the air intake tube and airbox are but im not to sure where the throttle body is... can u tell me where it is?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The intake silencer is the black box in the pic posted, I removed mine, but retained the vacuum hose going to the same spot. The intake is a little louder, but mostly above 3500 rpms or so. I may have picked up a little overall power, but not much, probably like 3hp or so if any. Dunno about MPG yet, hopefully it helps a little. The best thing about it is the cost, it only cost me $2.77 for a foot of hose, 1" PVC endcap, and 1/4" hose barb

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, the writeup from your site gave me the idea, but since I wasn't exactly sure what the line going to the silencer was for, I used the idea from YotaTech Performace mods about how to keep the line in the same place. I haven't bypassed the PCV valve yet though, but I do plan to do it how you have in the future. Do you think the extra power came from the PVC removal, or the silencer removal?

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
power, I couldn't tell you. It is more of a "keep nasty residue out of my intake manifold" mod rather than a power mod.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
atwinda
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing