TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Taco's and have never owned one. I am looking at a 2006-2007 used Tacoma. I am making the change based on reputation. I currently have a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 that for a long time has served it's purpose. I dont go off roading for the sake of going but instead do so by destination driving. I frequently fish back lakes in northern Ontario, Canada. This involves old logging roads and so flat rock climbs to get to where others dont go. Usually you can only get back there with Quad bikes on 4x4 trucks. I have seen a 4x4 full size stock chev but man was it loud banging away. I also drive in the snow and prefer the 4x4. I want to make sure that I am getting enough truck. I also have to tow on occassion.

I have searched other threads online for the last week and have tried to weed out some of my questions. I have read all available documents from Toyota. Help if you could please.

1. Does the SR5 with the tow package include the engine and tranny cooler on the automatic. Are they worth the money for moderate tows and some off roading.

2. Standard or automatic. I am really good either way and have had both just never have had experience in 4x4 for standard. Is standard ok for slow climbs or will I be burning clutches.

3. LSD or lock I know the difference in the packages according to the other threads posted online. What do I need though for the type of driving that I will be doing ie. limited off road about about 20 hours a year and lots of snow driving compared to my friends in Arizona.

4. I will be going over rocks and have seen some people get punished under their truck. Should I get the fuel tank and transfer case protector through Toyota or aftermarket. Concerned about quality mostly.

Long winded yes but trying to avoid questions. Thanks in advance for your opinions. Below are some of the threads I have checked out.h

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61181

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61361

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You should be getting more than enough truck with a taco.
1.It includes the tranny cooler and stuff with the tow package and its worth it
2.standard 4x4 is just like 2wd, just 2 extra wheels. I perfer a manual for slow climbs, cause you have more control.
3.lsd on road locker offroad. shoot for a trd truck so you get a standard elocker
4. Get aftermarket, or if you have any talent, make your own stuff for alot cheaper like myself and others have done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts