TTORA Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
New to the forum but I have already learned lots by just reading. I have a 1996 Tacoma (2 wheel drive). It has 125,000 and runs like new yet. It is completely stock with a 4 cylinder engine. When I steer to the left or right it has about 3 spots in each direction where the steering "drags" or has tight spots. Occasionally the steering will not return to center after a corner also. I can notice it when the truck is running or off. I can even feel it if I jack the truck up in the air and turn it in both directions. When I look at the shaft that goes to the rag joint from the column it wobbles some but is not loose. (can't wiggle it by hand etc.) Just is not centered, but I am thinking that might be normal. Sooo..if I turn right , it goes, t..i..g..h..t loose, t..i..g..h..t loose,t..i..g..h..t loose. Same exact feel if I go to the left. It is only a drag but it is noticeable. I have some experience and I was looking at the u-joint between the column and the intermediate shaft down by the rubber boot where it goes through the firewall. With 125,000 I was thinking it might be dry and binding up. I have searched the forum and found some who spray penetrating oil on the u-joint. Am I on track at all? Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance, Mike

1 - 1 of 1 Posts