TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14' enclosed trailer that i move two show harley's around with All together it weighs about 5500 lbs I pull it with my ford f250. I am looking at buying a 04 Tacoma Double cab V6 Auto 4X4 and trading in my f250. Will the Tacoma be able to pull that trailer?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Short answer, Yes it will pull it. No it wont like it. Tranny cooler and brake controller are your friends. Gas mileage will take a MAJOR hit like from 18-19mpg down to 8-9 mpg

REX

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
the 05 and newer tacomas would pull it alot better i would think than the old ones

·
Registered
84 Posts
pulled two quads on a standard trailer (total weight = ~1500lbs)with my 2001 3.4L automatic. It has the power, and pulled up to 75mph with no problem in third gear, almost 4kRPM the whole time. ~200 mile trip, used almost a full tank!!! If your pulling ~5500lbs the truck might not like it. probably the newer Tacomas will do better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I moved from Ohio to Arizona with a trailor weighing 3500lbs (packed) and a motorcycle in the bed. I only had a 2.7L manual trans and while I made it without any problems my top speed, down hilll, was about 55mph. I was getting passed by truckers going up large hills which I managed to do in first gear at about 25mph. I went from 350 miles per tank of gas to 175 per tank of gas.

So, 5500lbs can be done with the 3.4L but I wouldn't recommend it and I know you wont enjoy it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a 5500lbs holiday trailer and I my 06 double cab V6 dosen't like it but it does it ok. Any sort of head wind and it struggles. Too bad toyota doesn't get smart and make a V8 option or I would have got it. Hell the 4 runner got the V8!!!!!. I'm considering a supercharger to bring up the V6's HP.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I wouldn't do it. The Tacoma is only rated to tow 5K lbs. It' doesn't have the brakes, suspension, or torque to tow like a full size. It will pull the trailer but the performance will suck, safety will be questionable, and it will destroy your truck over time. Best bet is to buy a Tundra or another Full-size.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The trailer package on my 06 is 6500lbs, but I sure wouldn't tow 6500lbs. I have a prodigy trailer brake which makes stopping great cause it can pre-brake the trailer when I'm stopping, but if your going to tow all the time I would get a tundra, much better suited for towing a good size trailer all the time and you'll get better milage too.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
In short it will pull it, but NOT reccommended.. tow rating is only 5K.. I wouldnt regularly tow above 80% of that, or 4K... and wouldnt tow above 1K reg w/out an aux trans cooler, trans temp gauge, and a brake controller...

You will also be lucky to see >8mpg while doing it...

If you get 05 or newer with the tow package that would be the most I would tow, even with the 6500 rating.

·
Registered
204 Posts
all these guys say don't do it but i towed 5500lbs from san diego to redding in my 3.4l and i did just fine. the trailer had brakes. I got it up to 80mph and would set the cruise at 70mph. going through the grapevine i was slowed to about 50mph.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I have a 14' enclosed trailer that i move two show harley's around with All together it weighs about 5500 lbs I pull it with my ford f250. I am looking at buying a 04 Tacoma Double cab V6 Auto 4X4 and trading in my f250. Will the Tacoma be able to pull that trailer?
forget it. yes, the truck will "pull" the load but you won't be able to stop it safely and the tranny will die a lot sooner than you expect.

keep the Ford; your mileage when towing will be about the same as the Taco anyway.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I moved from Ohio to Arizona with a trailor weighing 3500lbs (packed) and a motorcycle in the bed. I only had a 2.7L manual trans and while I made it without any problems my top speed, down hilll, was about 55mph. I was getting passed by truckers going up large hills which I managed to do in first gear at about 25mph. I went from 350 miles per tank of gas to 175 per tank of gas.

So, 5500lbs can be done with the 3.4L but I wouldn't recommend it and I know you wont enjoy it.
dang thats ballsy, my friends Pos jeep broke down so i had to tow it back from the trails into the city below....my 4 banger was sure tired. Going up hill i could only do 20mph this was a really steep hill tho. I would not recommend to tow with a 2.7 liter im sure a 3.4 will do it and i kno that the newer one will do it alot easier.

·
Registered
37 Posts
a good rule for towing capacity is to take 75% of the rated.. as far as I know, the Tacoma's towing capacity is ~5000lbs.. 3750lbs maximum for a stock Tacoma.. If you're supercharged, with a tranny cooler and the trailer has brakes, etc etc.. Maybe you could pull 5000lbs, but I wouldnt bother trying. A Tacoma isnt a tow rig. The new Tundra on the other hand..

·
Registered
266 Posts
I regularly tow a 18' travel trailer that is about 4000 lbs fully loaded. 04 4x4 d-cab, with a big tranny cooler, tundra brakes (on the truck) and trailer brakes. It does OK as long as I'm not in a hurry. Another 1500 lbs would be too much, IMO. I love my Tacoma, but for the work your describing you need a bigger rig.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm supprised nobody here hasn't told you to go test drive a Tundra...

I use my Tacoma on a farm and really beat on it but I have a Manual Trans and I burnt the clutch up bad once....I would say go check out the new-er Tundras!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
all these guys say don't do it but i towed 5500lbs from san diego to redding in my 3.4l and i did just fine. the trailer had brakes. I got it up to 80mph and would set the cruise at 70mph. going through the grapevine i was slowed to about 50mph.
Its not rated for that, so of coruse we will say don't do it :D

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've towed close to 7K lbs in mine about 4 years ago but there is no way in hell I would've gone 80mph. It was also a very short trip. The brakes weren't designed to handle those loads. Tacoma's aren't that great as tow rigs.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
hhahahahaha

i love these threads, because i get to post up my 1 towing experience 10 times a year... speaking of that, you shouda searched, cause I have posted this pic like 10 times in the last few years....

on that note, i will do a lil more post whoring and say again... towed pops 23' Jet Boat to the end of the court and back...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wouldn't do it. The Tacoma is only rated to tow 5K lbs. It' doesn't have the brakes, suspension, or torque to tow like a full size. It will pull the trailer but the performance will suck, safety will be questionable, and it will destroy your truck over time. Best bet is to buy a Tundra or another Full-size.
Mine (02 DC, no towing package) is only rated for 3500 lbs with 350 lb tongue weight (from the owners manual). Is the 5000 lb with tow package?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts