TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to get an idea of the more common MECHANICAL carnage Tacoma owners have experienced on the trail so I can better stock the new crossover tool box. Especially interested in damage that required immidiate attention/ did not allow the truck to be driven back to pavement without at least temporary fix. I already carry a spare CV axle and tools up to this job. I have yet to break anything to the point of being disabled on trail; only had tires fail and lower shock mount get mangled. Wanting to use the collective experience to find out what parts/supplies would realistically be of value to haul out.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
When I was still IFS the only things I really broke where CV's and U-joints, but I did carry the following in my tool box.

2 spare CV's, lower ball joint, inner and outer tie rods, rear driveshaft, 2 U-joints, spare air compressor, ARB line, air line repair thingys, box of misc nuts bolts, various sized hose clamps, duct tape, bailing wire, ratchet straps, motor oil, gear oil, p/s fluid, JB weld, basic hand tools, HF ball joint press, air impact w/sockets....I'm sure I fogot something

Although I never used half of that crap I believe in being overly prepared

·
Registered
933 Posts
Lower ball joint and more important 4 bolts that will hold when the others rip out the threads, rear driveshaft, shock mounts, T-case input shaft, tires wheels, CV's, etc.

I find in addition to a good tool kit the best thing to carry are: BFH, a roll of mechanics wire, a roll of duct tape, JB weld, some different lenghts of pipe and flat bar, 2 pairs of jumper cables, a hood, and a box of welding rods.

I have always been able to get off the trail and usually home with this stuff, except for the input shaft break, but I dont expect anyone to carry a spare let alone rebuild one on the trail unless you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I snapped my stock left rear leaf spring after having to reverse in a tight spot. A chain wrapped around axle and attached to front spring perch to keep it from moving any further back and mucho duct tape allowed me to limp it approx 1mile to where I could do more with it. Replaced with Deavers and couldn't be happier, feel much safer with the military wrap.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Everyone keeps saying lower ball joints... I have never seen or heard of one breaking on a Tacoma. Same goes for upper b/j's as well.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Everyone keeps saying lower ball joints... I have never seen or heard of one breaking on a Tacoma. Same goes for upper b/j's as well.
But would you want to be in the middle of a trail like, let's say the rubicon, if one DID break without a spare?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
No, but youve got to carry both a left and a right lower bj... they are side specific and kind of bulky/ heavy. I dont carry any as of yet, they seem pretty bulletproof to me. Iv'e got everything else though and that alone has me weighted down pretty bad.

My spares...

rear D-shaft
2 front axles
2 inner tie rods
2 outer tie rods
hoses/ belts
uniball for upper arms
U bolts for leaves and spring bolts
A/T cooler line

complete set of tools to change all the above plus every fluid needed for truck, wire, bolts, tape, ratchet straps, funnel, gear oil pump, valve cores, tire plug kit, jumper cables, recovery gear, high lift jack, spark plugs, rad. cap, etc. etc. etc.

Eventually Im going with a Diamond up front anyway so itwont matter then anyway.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Guess I'll have to start carrying that spare motor, front diff, trans, and rear axle then. That'd suck to be in the middle of the Rubicon and blow one and not have a spare. I usually carry lots of crap, but sometimes you just gotta say when and if it breaks I'll deal w/ it.
Because those all fit in your toolbox :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is if you can fit it, and you may need to replace it later on down the road anyway why not carry it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I was still IFS the only things I really broke where CV's and U-joints, but I did carry the following in my tool box.

2 spare CV's, lower ball joint, inner and outer tie rods, rear driveshaft, 2 U-joints, spare air compressor, ARB line, air line repair thingys, box of misc nuts bolts, various sized hose clamps, duct tape, bailing wire, ratchet straps, motor oil, gear oil, p/s fluid, JB weld, basic hand tools, HF ball joint press, air impact w/sockets....I'm sure I fogot something

Although I never used half of that crap I believe in being overly prepared
So in addition to the CV (1) I am carrying I think I will add a U-joint. Are all the U-joints, front and rear, interchangeable? I carry a pretty complete set of tools; what tools are specific to changing a U-joint?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
When I had a Tacoma and wheel'd it. I carried CV's, ball joints, inner and outer TRE's. Various sizes of bolts, nuts and washers. Wire... normal trail repair kit.

I would add a couple u-joints and a rear driveshaft. It all depends on how hard you wheel. If you are really hard on your truck, then the list grows.

I now carry quite a bit more... but its an entirely different rig.
Front axleshafts, rear axle shaft, u-joints, sq. Driveshaft that fits f/r, pieces of metal to repair various things. TRE's, knuckle studs, hub studs... basicly any bolt/nut that is major, main leafs.

When I get a trailer and a tool box on it, I'm putting a steering box in it, as well as a 3rd member. Probably knuckles and other major parts that I don't want to carry with me on the trail.

I estimate between spare parts, tools and the 110lb spare wheel/tire combo, I carry around 500-550lbs of gear. I have used all of it atleast once if not for myself, but other people too.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I do have a Spare CV but it's not in the box. Where do you guys carry all these parts?
UMM.....In the toolbox noob, damn can't you read:flipoff3:

What the hell good is a spare CV going to do you sitting in the garage when you've got a broken one on the trail and you need 4wd to get out...Damn, you are a noob:flipoff1: :lmao:

I've got two gear bags that carry my tools, one for air tools, and one for wrenches,screwdrivers ratchets etc. With all the tools in the bags it's not too hard to find room for other gear even in a small toolbox.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Note that my rig is "preTaco" so some things may be a bit different.

Think about what could break and how you could possibly repair it on the trail. There are some things that are VERY easy to fix if you have the parts, but very tough to fix if you don't. Ball joints, tie rods, and hard brake line come to mind.

In addition to the above listed items, I carry:
Fluids (water, coolant, motor oil, gear oil, ATF, brake fluid)
Grease
belts
Trash bags
Hand cleaner wipes
1 gal Ziploc bags (I'm amazed how handy they are!)
RTV (I carry UltraCopper since it has the highest heat range)

Some "special" tools:
54mm hub socket
snap ring pliers
Wire brush(es)

I have a trashed driveshaft that I'll carry as a spare once I get it fixed. As for how to carry all this stuff, if you always go wheeling with the same crew, you can split it up. I fit all this plus the gas tank, a gas can, sleeping bag, shovel, fire extinguisher, and spare tire in the cargo area of the 4Runner. No problem at all in the bed of a Taco!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It doesn't fit in my tool box asshole so it goes in the bed. I didn't say I don't carry it. My tool box is full and I mainly have tools and some other stuff. I'm just saying. There is no way you put all those parts as well as the tools to install them in one bed mounted box. 6 quuarts of oil. 2 galls of antifreeze, 5 quarts of gear oil for the diff and trans or more brake fluid, a quart or more of ATF and all those parts are not going to fit into one standard UWS deep bed box. and the way I see it is what's the point of carrying one quart of oil. If I blow a pan then I'm going to need 6 quarts and if it's only 1/2 a quart low, well then it'll be fine until I get back to town.

Easy killer! Just givin' ya' some shit back :p

I carry 4 quarts of oil, 2 quarts of gear oil and one quart p/s as well as all the parts listed above and a 50' strap, jumper cables and a bottle jack and it all fits in a RKI 36"x13"x14" deep box.
I agree on carrying more than one quart of oil, but four should get me off the trail. Now gear oil is a different story, I really should carry more. As it turns out the t-case tends to leak when you're upside down for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
You've got to keep in mind that everyone probably has a couple of quarts of oil, gear oil, whatever. So if you wheel with a group, odds are if you need 6 quarts, or a wierd part your group could come up with it to get the afflicted rig off of the trail.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Carry a diff plug, they can get ripped out of the rear axle. Gear oil is good too. Valves and valve stems can get ripped out too, carry them.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good ideas. I have the flat/allen type rear dif plug hoping to avoid that problem.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
And really, if YOU never broke one... I mean come on, what are the odds Im going to? :)
Ive witnessed the 4 lower balljoint bolts strip outta the spindle requiring the spindle to be tapped and 4 larger bolts used to get the LBJ to stay on spindle. 3-4 hundred miles from home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts