TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. A local dealer has a clean '01 extracab TRD 4X4 I have my eye on. Not one to settle for stock, I've been browing the net / this forum for a week or so to see what's out there. Suspension, wheels, and tires are common mods, but are mostly on TRD Off-Road equipped trucks (unless it's just a sticker). If I am likely to make similar mods, is their a reason to go with the TRD truck, or should look for a non-TRD and save a few bucks?

Thanks,
-John
Minneapolis
 

·
norcal n00b
Joined
·
802 Posts
The great thing about the TRD package is the rear locker. Thats what most people get it for ( or at least I did!). Most of the other stuff, such as the larger tires and beter suspension, will be useless if you plan on lifting right away, depending on how much you lift. IMO the TRD package is definatley worth it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
598 Posts
i thoght the only real difference was the rear diff, trd was larger because it could carry the "trd" electric locking diff.

some more seasoned toyota guru's can correct me, but other than the rear diff size the rest of the "chassis" is the same. trd came with oem bilstein shocks and progressive front springs (i'm not sure about the rear leafs). trd also offered the locker option. non-trd wheels are the same as trd wheels.

i chose to buy a non-trd model and then buy my aftermarket stuff. aftermarket lends way to more choices and a better performing suspension.

you can buy a trd and it will have a better suspension than non-trd, or buy non-trd and equip with suspension that's even better than trd model.

i dont remember what i paid for my HD Bilsteins, somewhere around $400 for the set. OME 881's were $150, and Downey AAL was $102 (these include shipping). add a $400 PowerTrax no-slip diff, about $700 for my setup (i dont have no-slip yet) which is alot better than what you get with the oem "trd".

if you find the same truck in non-trd form for $700+ less than what the trd is selling for, get the non-trd model.

also note: many members do their own work/installations. so if you're not handy with this stuff it will cost you a few hundred more for a mechanic to install (beer if a friend will install for you).
 

·
Deal Master
Joined
·
2,775 Posts
coleman4130 said:
Hello. If I am likely to make similar mods, is their a reason to go with the TRD truck, or should look for a non-TRD and save a few bucks?

Thanks,
-John
Minneapolis
Look for the electronic locking rear diff (should have a button labeled "RR DIFF" ) This was often but not always included with the TRD pkg.-
I would easily pay a few hundred more for a used truck with a rear E-locker than without-

The locker is a great option- I spent about $700 bucks to add an ARB rear locker to my 99 Xtracab.
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
cvajs said:
i thoght the only real difference was the rear diff, trd was larger because it could carry the "trd" electric locking diff.
Nope. The TRD diff is smaller (8") than the non-trd diff (8.4").
 

·
Smoked Out!
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
coleman4130 said:
Hello. A local dealer has a clean '01 extracab TRD 4X4 I have my eye on. Not one to settle for stock, I've been browing the net / this forum for a week or so to see what's out there. Suspension, wheels, and tires are common mods, but are mostly on TRD Off-Road equipped trucks (unless it's just a sticker). If I am likely to make similar mods, is their a reason to go with the TRD truck, or should look for a non-TRD and save a few bucks?

Thanks,
-John
Minneapolis
It all depends on what you want to do with the truck,... as stated above the only real difference is the rear locker. If saving a few bucks means saving about 1000 or more, I'd say go for the non TRD and get a rear locker. Personally I don't like the TRD suspension ride quality, so that is a waste of my(IMO) Oh and yeah the sticker is worth a few hundred bucks since it adds all that extra HP... :rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
coleman4130 said:
Hello. A local dealer has a clean '01 extracab TRD 4X4 I have my eye on. Not one to settle for stock, I've been browing the net / this forum for a week or so to see what's out there. Suspension, wheels, and tires are common mods, but are mostly on TRD Off-Road equipped trucks (unless it's just a sticker). If I am likely to make similar mods, is their a reason to go with the TRD truck, or should look for a non-TRD and save a few bucks?

Thanks,
-John
Minneapolis
Id go w/ the TRD. I have a 2000 4x4 non-TRD, now with 84k wonderful miles, and still dream of having had the TRD. The one good thing is my truck came with manual hubs :D

BTW the TRD package inc. Progressive front coils, Bilsteins on all 4 corners, alloy wheels, larger tires, the e-locker, and of course the bedside stickers. I think thats it, the rear springs may be exclusive, im not sure.

But even if you do mod it as soon as it leaves the dealer and you replace the tires, wheels, suspension, and all you have left are the locker and stickers (lol) it would still be worth having the factory locker rather than having to spend months looking for a TRD complete rear axle to swap in from a salvage yard or having to deal with paying to have an ARB installed.

Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Get the TRD package, you'll be glad you did. I doubt you'll see much of a price difference on a used Tacoma with the TRD vs. one without. If I remember correctly, the TRD package on my '03 was only about a $1000 add brand new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
my trd sticker on my last tacoma was worth $750, im not kidding either

when insurance totaled it out they gave me and extra 750 for having the trd package, which i didnt have

i paid 25 dollars at the dealership for the trd sticker 2 years after buying my truck, best sticker i ever bought

and my friends ragged on me for not really having it, they quit after i got my check, o ya my new tacoma is a trd, its worth it just for the locker
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
598 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
...BTW the TRD package inc. Progressive front coils, Bilsteins on all 4 corners, alloy wheels, larger tires, the e-locker, and of course the bedside stickers. I think thats it, the rear springs may be exclusive, im not sure.
my '02 SR5 came with all of that (except locker, springs, bilsteins, and stickers). as the other member posted he paid extra $1k for TRD. i got alot better stuff than the oem trd stuff for alot less than $1k.
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
cvajs said:
my '02 SR5 came with all of that (except locker, springs, bilsteins, and stickers). as the other member posted he paid extra $1k for TRD. i got alot better stuff than the oem trd stuff for alot less than $1k.
LOL! So the "all of that" that your truck came with was alloy wheels and 31's. :rolleyes:

What's this better locker and suspension setup you got for a lot less than $1K?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
598 Posts
synovus said:
LOL! So the "all of that" that your truck came with was alloy wheels and 31's. :rolleyes:

What's this better locker and suspension setup you got for a lot less than $1K?
right here for about $400 http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3081
,(i dont have locker yet, powertrax no-slip soon for about $400). add the AAL i have ($102) totals $502, less the diff what i have is alot better than oem trd. so about that $1k cost (when i get the no-slip) i will have alot better performing suspension and rear diff.

doesn't the trd locker auto-disengage over 5mph??
 

·
Cracker
Joined
·
5,648 Posts
cvajs said:
right here for about $400 http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3081
,(i dont have locker yet, powertrax no-slip soon for about $400). add the AAL i have ($102) totals $502, less the diff what i have is alot better than oem trd. so about that $1k cost (when i get the no-slip) i will have alot better performing suspension and rear diff.

doesn't the trd locker auto-disengage over 5mph??
Out of curiosity- why do you feel that an add-a-leaf result in a better performing suspension? And how is a lock-rite superior to the e-locker?
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
cvajs said:
right here for about $400,(i dont have locker yet, powertrax no-slip soon for about $400). add the AAL i have ($102) totals $502, less the diff what i have is alot better than oem trd. so about that $1k cost (when i get the no-slip) i will have alot better performing suspension and rear diff.

doesn't the trd locker auto-disengage over 5mph??
You're gonna be over $1k when all is said and done, especially since you didn't mention rear shocks or installation charges on the no-slip. The suspension may be better (if you can consider an AAL better), but you'd be hard-pressed to convince most people that the powertrax is better than the e-locker.

The e-locker can be modified, essentially for free, to stay engaged at any speed, and whether in 2WD or 4WD. It's called the grey wire mod.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
598 Posts
valkyrie said:
Out of curiosity- why do you feel that an add-a-leaf result in a better performing suspension? And how is a lock-rite superior to the e-locker?
comparing to oem trd, right? my AAL gives me some more load capability while giving the lift i need.

i did not say "lock-rite" or "superior". the PowerTrax No-Slip (not "lock-rite") is a awesome diff with no air or wires needed or to worry about, and for that i think it's better than the oem trd diff setup (i thought trd locker auto-disengages over 5mph?). the features of the "no-slip" diff are unique.

now, for my argument, i just think one could buy aftermarket stuff for $1k that would perform alot better than oem trd stuff, but i may be wrong.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
598 Posts
synovus said:
You're gonna be over $1k when all is said and done, especially since you didn't mention rear shocks or installation charges on the no-slip. The suspension may be better (if you can consider an AAL better), but you'd be hard-pressed to convince most people that the powertrax is better than the e-locker.

The e-locker can be modified, essentially for free, to stay engaged at any speed, and whether in 2WD or 4WD. It's called the grey wire mod.
ooops my mistake, that $700 i said included all 4 shocks, i got the whole set for $400. and i did note that the savings does include the need for self-installation or beer for a friend.

cvajs said:
also note: many members do their own work/installations. so if you're not handy with this stuff it will cost you a few hundred more for a mechanic to install (beer if a friend will install for you).


add "no-slip" for about $400.

i don't hear many saying they have the "no-slip" diff so maybe folks are partial to e-locker because more of them are out there....?

ok, maybe you'll be a tad over $1k, but you'll have better stuff, no ??
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Top