TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I've been searching for a while for a certain truck and have not been having very good luck. The people either do not like to disclose what I deem as vital information, or decide to sell it from underneath me. So I am posting here just to see if anyone knows of anything available.

Places I have checked:
on the national forum here
cars.com
autotrader.com
trucktrader.com
craigslist.org (Tucson, Phoenix, Yuma and Flagstaff...also been checking San Diego and LA even though I would prefer to not buy a truck site unseen)

What I am looking for:
98-2000 Tacoma TRD
Ext Cab
V6
4x4
5 sp
clean title
prefered colors (in order of preference): Black, Silver, White, then anything other than purple or red
completely stock or lightly modded**

**I will buy a truck that needs an engine rebuild as long as the body, frame, trans, TC and diffs are all in great working order. I would prefer one that hasnt been beaten offroad much, thats why I say mainly stock because most people (with a brain) wont take it hard offroad with a stock setup. Prefered mileage is <100K with the full 90K performed...but will consider higher mileage depending on the condition of the vehicle.

Looking to spend $12K and below. Thanks for your help in advance guys!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might as well bump this...have found a few for my price range, just nothing that really grabs my interest. I have been keeping a close eye on craigslist, autotrader and cars.com but does anyone know of somebody selling one not listed on there? Would prefer to stay away from dealerships...because Im not going to pay their markups :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
IamHimeros said:
Hey guys...I've been searching for a while for a certain truck and have not been having very good luck. The people either do not like to disclose what I deem as vital information, or decide to sell it from underneath me. So I am posting here just to see if anyone knows of anything available.

Places I have checked:
on the national forum here
cars.com
autotrader.com
trucktrader.com
craigslist.org (Tucson, Phoenix, Yuma and Flagstaff...also been checking San Diego and LA even though I would prefer to not buy a truck site unseen)

What I am looking for:
98-2000 Tacoma TRD
Ext Cab
V6
4x4
5 sp
clean title
prefered colors (in order of preference): Black, Silver, White, then anything other than purple or red
completely stock or lightly modded**

**I will buy a truck that needs an engine rebuild as long as the body, frame, trans, TC and diffs are all in great working order. I would prefer one that hasnt been beaten offroad much, thats why I say mainly stock because most people (with a brain) wont take it hard offroad with a stock setup. Prefered mileage is <100K with the full 90K performed...but will consider higher mileage depending on the condition of the vehicle.

Looking to spend $12K and below. Thanks for your help in advance guys!
I have a white `98 reg cab, 5 speed, 118K miles-had it since new...
donahoe ET, UCA, front arb, rear e-locker, deaver 7pack, 33" BFG MT`s, AP sliders...ONLY problem I`ve been had with it is a u-joint, a crack exhaust manifold, and a transfer case output seal.

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
padesertboy said:
donahoe ET, UCA, front arb, front e-locker, deaver 7pack, 33" BFG MT`s, AP sliders...ONLY problem I`ve been had with it is a u-joint, a crack exhaust manifold, and a transfer case output seal.
You have two front lockers???? :confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4xClover said:
Check out the Rigs/Trailers For Sale section on the NB

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44
Thanks...Ive looked there, nothing of interest. Seems like the majority of trucks Ive seen have a few of the "necessities" that I am after, but not all of them that are listed in the first post. Always see Prerunners or auto's for sale...

padesertboy said:
donahoe ET, UCA, front arb, rear e-locker, deaver 7pack, 33" BFG MT`s, AP sliders...ONLY problem I`ve been had with it is a u-joint, a crack exhaust manifold, and a transfer case output seal.
Thanks for the offer, but it has to be an extended cab. Those are the only ones that I really like the looks of.

The purpose of this thread was pretty much me asking if anyone knew of a truck that wasn't listed on all the places I mentioned in the 1st post...like if you knew of an individual seller, etc.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
IamHimeros said:
Thanks...Ive looked there, nothing of interest. Seems like the majority of trucks Ive seen have a few of the "necessities" that I am after, but not all of them that are listed in the first post. Always see Prerunners or auto's for sale...

Thanks for the offer, but it has to be an extended cab. Those are the only ones that I really like the looks of.

The purpose of this thread was pretty much me asking if anyone knew of a truck that wasn't listed on all the places I mentioned in the 1st post...like if you knew of an individual seller, etc.

No worries, I`d only get right of it if the offer was right...
besides, those 2 front lockers really help out alot sometimes :(

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone know anything about Classy Auto Sales? They have a TRUCK there that looks pretty decent, at a decent price for the mileage on it. Im pretty sure they are your normal, small dealership that goes to auctions to pick up cars...but was wondering if anyone knew anything definite about them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
04 Extra cab??

Please look at my 2004 Extra cab (BLACK) in auto trader It has 8800 miles for $17,700. It has a salvaged title because I bought it back from insurance after my son rolled it. I have had a different cab and bed put on it. This may just be your best buy!!
Brian

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Please look at my 2004 Extra cab (BLACK) in auto trader It has 8800 miles for $17,700. It has a salvaged title because I bought it back from insurance after my son rolled it. I have had a different cab and bed put on it. This may just be your best buy!!
Brian
Thanks for the offer...but I would prefer the 98-00 just because I like the front style better, and do not want an automatic. I am also not looking to spend that much on a truck, because I bought a brand new (at the time) car a year ago and dont want 2 car payments that high.

EDIT: Just looked at the truck on autotrader, looks really good man! Good luck with the sale :)

I am currently looking at a 99 supercharged, single owner TRD 4x4 5sp with 77K miles on it for ~12K

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
Brian
I'll be honest with you, $17k for a salvage title is not realistic. A few members here have bought back their totaled trucks and repaired them for a fraction of that. I've seen totally built go anywhere trucks sell for less. Good luck with your sale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK Thats a fair comment. BUT... The cab has been replaced by a non rolled/repaired cab. I could have just done a top & tail for much less. I would not have felt safe driving it afterwards. This is a 8800 mile Tacoma for 20% less than a 80,000 mile unit would cost. Most any other 4x4 TRD for less than $17,000 would be out of warranty anyway and that is the only disadvantage of the salvaged title that I can see. I would not offer for sale a salvaged title unless I could prove what was damaged and what was replaced. Someone is going to get a great Tacoma. I just bought a 2000 TRD for my 16 year old son. The only reason he did not get the 2004 was because his mother wanted the lower insurance that was on the 2000. So he got 4 years older and 140,000 plus miles for just a few thousand less........IamHimreos...... I just bought a white 2000 V6 5 speed TRD off of autotrader with 145,000 miles for 10,500 so you can use that for comparison..Brian

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
Brian - I think what Heatstroke is saying is that no matter how much work was put into your truck (and I'm sure it was alot) or the cab being non rolled/repaired, most people will not pay 17k for a salvage title regardless of the miles - the main reason is that it's extremely difficult to find a lender for a salvage title. Personally, I would not pay 17k for a salvage title when I know I could get a non-salvage truck for close to the same price - milage is an important consideration, but not as much as price and title...at least in my opinion.

Eiter way, good luck with your sale!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
8 Participants
4xClover
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing