TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not see this anywhere on this forum, so here it is. Looks like a great design for a very week point in the rig. Check it out.

Tailgate Fix

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
how bout a link to the actual post containing a picture so we dont have to dig through 8 pages?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
=ACID RAIN= said:
What, is the 05+ tailgate a POS?
The tailgate has a composite panel on the inside instead of a metal panel and a few people have cracked it or bent the tailgate loading motorcycles, etc in the bed. I have been think about something very similar to this as a reinforcement just for comfort. I think the biggest problem is how people load and carry their loads.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I think that what he came up with is a good idea. Yes, care can be taken when loading the truck, but I am hard on stuff and may consider this down the road. It did give me some ideas on maybe how to make something similar. He went with a one piece design over the two piece, but I am thinking that the two piece would be easier to make if you don't have access to the benders and stuff that he has got...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
=ACID RAIN= said:
What, is the 05+ tailgate a POS?

hahaha i have heard a few funny stories about those tail gates. A buddy of mine was loading an ATV and uahh...Hhahahahahha ended up falling on his a$$ to the sand below.

Prototype looks good

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
KANEMAN23 said:
I wish Toyota would go back to making the beds out of metal again. Hopefully, on the next redesign they will...
I second that. That composite shit is a joke, kinda like plastic bumpers over metal ones....

·
Registered
332 Posts
i like the idea of the composite beds but im not a big fan of the composite tail gate. i think toyota would have a winner if they just put a standard tail gate on the truck. that being said, if it turns out that the stock piece will infact fit over this new thing, i will sure shell out 250 for a piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
my05taco said:
i like the idea of the composite beds but im not a big fan of the composite tail gate. i think toyota would have a winner if they just put a standard tail gate on the truck. that being said, if it turns out that the stock piece will infact fit over this new thing, i will sure shell out 250 for a piece of mind.
x2 :xpopcorn:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Toymachine said:
Id buy that (priced reasonably like under $500)
$500 would be absurd for a piece like that guy is making. I think $225 is allowing him to make a healthy profit even if he is paying someone else to make it but I think that is a price point that will sell and make it worth his time assuming this isn't his full-time gig.

·
Registered
94 Posts
KANEMAN23 said:
I wish Toyota would go back to making the beds out of metal again. Hopefully, on the next redesign they will...
I agree the plastic is cheap , much like glock hand guns
but these trucks do weigh alot less because of it , making
them much faster and handle better. Plus they won't rust
:)

·
Registered
772 Posts
IndigoTaco said:
I agree the plastic is cheap , much like glock hand guns
but these trucks do weigh alot less because of it , making
them much faster and handle better. Plus they won't rust
:)
Exactly. I guess we can thank Glock for starting that composite trim. Funny thing is that I actually like my ugly, cheap, and highly reliable beater Glock 33 :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
what problem is it that people are having with these beds? i have had one ton of 3/4 crush in my bed with no problem at all that is well beyond what i should have had in it. i know, but what about these beds is it that people dont like? the weight? the rust? the strength? what am i missing?
later
Zach

1 - 20 of 22 Posts