TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn't find my answer. I'm taking off my fender flares so that I can paint them. I unscrew all the bolts no problem , and everything is going well, but then I can't figure out how to take off the clips that hold the fenders without breaking them. (the clips that aren't visible, they're under the fenders and go in the holes in the metal fender) Is there a way to take them off and re-use them or are those clips a one-time-use product and I have to buy others?

My previous tacoma (2000) didn't have this issue so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Only way I can think of is take out the splash guard and beat the flare clips out from the inside.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wes said:
Only way I can think of is take out the splash guard and beat the flare clips out from the inside.
I'll try it, but I hope they don't break and I can re-use the clips. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
119 Posts
rubberpants said:
9 times out of 10 they will break. Get some new ones at the dealer, they shouldn't be that much.

I thought the same thing until I went to the dealer to buy them :eek: If I remember correctly the dealer here wanted a couple bucks for the smaller ones and three bucks for the few larger ones. I was shocked and walked away without them. I found another place that had them for way cheaper. It was an autobody supply shop.

Kent

·
Registered
221 Posts
check with autozone, o'really's,etc. they may have some kind of clips that might work. I did the same thing ended up breaking half of them...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
When a branch helped me with the removal problem on my '05 I had remembered that my local ACE Hardware had a great selection of auto body clips--they had just what I needed...call the dealer too-you might be surprised, every once in while they have got a decent price on the little stuff. I don't know why, but there were some blue clips and some orange clips used by Toyota, but they both seemed to be the same with exception of color..

Just curious what you are gonna use to paint your flares? I am still debating between line-x or something like Duplicolor...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ocdropzone Just curious what you are gonna use to paint your flares? I am still debating between line-x or something like Duplicolor...[/QUOTE said:
I'm going to use super white 040 paint because I bought this truck wrecked and the cab is in excellent condition. 3 out of the 4 fender flares have scratches/gouges on them. The front bumper is scratched and the rear bumper has a small dent. The flares and bumpers are not painted, they're the matte black. The front grill is undamaged and also black. So my aim is to fix these eyesores and while I'm at it my base model double cab should end up resembling an SR5 color-keyed doublecab. I bought PPG paint off ebay but the painter doesn't want to use paint from ebay, so he's taking me to a place that sells Dupont Chromaone, which he likes.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about the line-x idea, but I'm on a budget. I may end up line-xing the bed because it has a couple of cracks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I took mine off to cut them. They will break or become distorted when you try to take them off. If you want a clean install buy new clips. I bought mine from toyotapartsales.com for cheap.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SCEXPLORER said:
I took mine off to cut them. They will break or become distorted when you try to take them off. If you want a clean install buy new clips. I bought mine from toyotapartsales.com for cheap.
You have a good point. I'm going to buy some new ones and not worry about it. I went on the website and couldn't find them. What are they listed under?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Slergio said:
You have a good point. I'm going to buy some new ones and not worry about it. I went on the website and couldn't find them. What are they listed under?
Yeah there not listed in the menu. Here's the part numbers
the part # 90904-67036 is going to be B and part # 90904-67037 is going to be A

There's two types of clips you need to get. You'll see when you take it off. I forgot which one is which but just order extra to be safe.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info, Scexplorer. I ended ordering some at 82cents apiece. They were $2.30 each at the dealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Slergio said:
Thanks for the info, Scexplorer. I ended ordering some at 82cents apiece. They were $2.30 each at the dealer.
I went to the dealer as well and he came out with a bag of orange clips. I asked him how much and he said $3 something. I assumed it was for the whole bag and told him I'd take two. When he started removing individual ones I realized he meant per clip. Complete ripoff.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, after I found out the price for the clips, I found more motivation for learning how to take them off without breaking them. After taking off the inner liner, you can pop them out from the inside, then its very easy with a needlenose pliers. It was super easy to take them off from one fender that I had to remove from the truck. The first fender (before I learned to work from the inside of it) was a pain in the ass and I ended up breaking some tabs on the inside of the flare.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bunghole said:
Here is a diagram of the front flare showing where to use blue clips and where to use orange clips.
Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
Slergio
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing