TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I should post this somewhere, but I think this may be my first-ever post in the tires and wheels section, lol -- I'm much more of an engine guy. Anyway, it appears to be a slow news day, so what the hell: I'm taking the plunge and stepping up to 285/75R16s.

My truck is a 2002 double cab V6 PreRunner, with 4x4 and MT conversions. Last summer I installed a pair of Icon COs and a 9 leaf Deaver spring pack, primarily for towing and load carrying, though of course they help pretty much everywhere. These components translated into a 2" front/3" rear lift. I could have cranked the COs more, but there wasn't a real need to at the time as I was still running 265/70R16s because they had a lot of tread left. The truck did sit pretty high for these tires, and it looked goofier IRL than it did in the following picture - not so bad that I was embarrassed to drive it, but odd enough that I wanted to move to larger tires once the old ones wore out.

Anyway, the old 265/70s finally wore out, so last week I took the plunge and bought a set of 285/75R16 Dueler ATs and Pro Comp 1069 16 X 8 / 4.0" BS wheels, and will be ordering a 4Crawler 1" BL to finish the install. I went back and forth between the 285/75s and 255/85s, and I'm still not sure I made the "right" decision, but I'm committed at this point and am going to give the 285s a try.

I'll post another pic once the wheels get here and the tires are mounted on the wider rims.

Old, with 265/70 Revo ATs:

Current, with 285/75 Dueler ATs on OEM six spoke rims:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I like how they look! You're going to be happy to gain additional backspacing with those rims once their on.

I hate that Deaver's kit offers that much lift, mine sits level with a TC kit on the front, maybe barely higher in the front. Makes it tough for guys like you running the bolt on COs to avoid the stink bug look. Not sure how high you have the front cranked, I see you have the manual hub conversion so you could probably sit a bit higher than normal and not stress on CV wear.

Anyways, I think it was the right choice over the 255's :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
I love that truck! If I could find a black 4wd TRD double cab it would be a tough decision if I should swap out for my extra cab. The family just doesn't fit to well anymore in the extra cab. Only thing I would miss is my 5 speed. :(

Looks good. :cool: Post pics up when you get the wheels. I'm seriously considering 285s also when my 265/75s wear out.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback/encouragement. :)

Only thing I would miss is my 5 speed.
Heh. That's why I converted mine to a manual trans. :xpimp:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were in a similar situation w/r/t needing something bigger than an extra cab: we have kids and needed passenger seating like a 4Runner, with the carrying capacity of a truck. That pretty much meant a double cab. I always loved the first gen. DCs, but in our area (NorCal) they're very pricey, especially the 4x4s. At the time I was looking -- and I looked for about a month solid -- I literally couldn't find a first gen, V6, double cab 4x4 I could afford to buy. I saw two, and both were north of $15k. :eek:

However, V6 double cab PreRunners were a little more available/affordable. In the end, it was cheaper for me to buy a V6 PreRunner and convert it to both 4x4 and manual trans. We have a huge thread in the PreRunner section describing how to do this. It's work but it isn't rocket science, as it's all factory parts (except for the driveshaft spacer, if necessary). The new parts bolt right up, and if you swap to a manual ECU there's no check engine light issues -- it looks, drives, and behaves as an OEM 4x4 and manual trans vehicle. And because you get to pick the parts, you can do it as a manual hub conversion if you want to. The hardest thing is getting all of the parts together to do the swap, and even that's mostly about being patient.

Anyway, just a long way of saying that if this is a vehicle you have your heart set on, consider doing it as a PreRunner conversion. You can always drive it as a PreRunner for a while as you gather the parts for the drivetrain conversions.

:xbeer1:

-Jeff

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's why we got a 4 runner was for the family room. (That and we had a lemon jeep GC before) It's basically stock and 4wd but it just isn't my Taco. I specifically wanted the longer bed for a 4wheeler when I got the Taco. At the time I never thought I'd have a family already but that's what you get when you tell God your plans. Now with a toddler I wish I had the quad cab. Oh well.

Thanks for the input on the swap. I'll keep that in mind about the 4wd conversion. I'm also tossing around swaping a dcab and bed on my frame. Haven't done any research though and can't afford to have it down or do it right now, much less if that's possible.

Back to topic. I think you'll like the 285s also. I had 255s on the Taco when I got it. They were ok but I like a wider tire a lot more then tall and skinny.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice Jeff.

I find with my skinnies (33x9.5, very similar in size to 255/85's) that they tend to "roll" over themselves around corners and it can get a bit hairy. Wider tires are much more stable on the road i find. Truck is looking good.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Greg! Even though I don't have many miles on these yet I'm feeling pretty good about the tire size, though I'm definitely looking forward to getting the wider rims. I want to move the tires outboard a bit, as the sidewalls are pretty damn close to the pointy part of the UCA. It's fine in a straight line, but I've been taking very "easy" lines through things like freeway off ramps and corners. A bit more clearance would definitely let me breathe easier.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Pro Comp 1069 rims installed

OK, and with these installed on correctly sized rims, I think I'm done for a while:

Pretty happy with the look, and I can turn it lock to lock on the street without any rubbing. I'll be installing a Roger Brown 1" BL before I do any real off-roading.

Two notes: The tire shop went ahead and installed the center caps that came with the wheels. Not sure how I feel as they cover up the manual hubs, but they do have centers that pop right off, so there's no real loss of functionality...though they will undoubtedly get dented, etc. Guess I'll keep 'em until I hate 'em. I can always pull them off.

Second note: Damn, they coated these with Armor All like they were greasing a pig. Not my style, but I guess it's part of their SOP.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow, are you sure those are the same tires? They look bigger on the new wheels.

Looks good. I think when I do wheels I'm going polished aluminum or something similar since my truck is black also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts