TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have a couple small projects going on simultaneously.

I moved the switches for the heated seats to a blank in the dash. This will make room for the switches to control the Hella's on the bumper and eventually a couple lights in the back, still deciding where to mount them.

UPDATE: these have since been cleaned up a little and the switches seat much better than you see in these pictures.

I'm tired if the chrome on the rear hatch license holder so the plan is to spray with plasti dip and blacken it up. I had good luck with the rear bumper top plate and decided to give it a go. If it doesn't work I will sand and paint.

The grille is moving along and is ready for bondo/sand/primer. I think this is going to look pretty nice when done. I'm debating installing the lights in the grille. I first discovered that on T4R (Blcktpgsr). Sorry for the poor pic but it was a nice night and I took advantage.

Lastly, I'm working in a custom mount far a speaker to mount behind the rear view for the CB and HAM. No pics right now but hope to spend some time on it this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I spent a little time on the Runner today and worked on covering up the chrome license plate bracket. I used Plasti Dip on the top plate cover of the rear bumper and it turned out great. So, I decided to give it a go on the chrome and see how it turned out.

I prepped by simply washing with soap and water as the can advises. Let everything dry thoroughly with some assistance from the air compressor. When I sprayed the bumper I put four coats and it turned out as expected, that was the plan for the bracket. The first couple coats looked ok but from my last experience it has to dry before looking smooth and factory. When I started spraying the wind picked up a little and today was humid. I think this may have affected the outcome. You can see in the pics below, the Plasti Dip didn't turn out like the top plate on the bumper. The bracket is much rougher than I wanted it to be and doesn't appear to be sticking as well. I'm thinking it was the humidity but not sure. I'm going to leave it as is for now and see how it holds up. If this peels easily I'm not sure if I will try this again or remove and paint.

This is what I started with.

Masked off and ready to spray.

After four coats, complete.

I like the black look but not digging how rough it is.

I picked up some bondo and primer for the grille and will be working on it in the evening over the next couple weeks. Need to get the paint ordered and I will be set to knock this one out. I also worked on my power plugs for the back of the console. I removed the ash try and fabed up a faceplate out of plastic to mount the plugs to. I'm still debating if I want two 12V plugs or a 12V plug and an A/C plug. :-? I have everything needed either way, just need to determine which would be more beneficial. :-B

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I finally got to spend some time outside after work. I put together the power distribution for the back of the console and the test fit looked pretty good. Still need to run the wiring but that's the easy stuff. And yes I know the AC plug isn't centered but I have plans to mount an LED above the AC plug. The LED will be used to confirm when power is on. The 12V plug will be hot all the time.

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The next project.

I just picked it up today and will post pics of the progress. The guy I bought it from said it came out of a 3rd Gen runner so I'm hoping it has already been modified. Thanks Zack.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hit some trails in the Ouachita National Forest with a couple friends.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I had a flat during the last trip and had to put the spare on which has a black steelie wheel. I have to say I'm really liking the black wheel. It nay be time to paint my wheels and see how it looks. Sorry for the poor pic, I was spraying some of the mud off tonight.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
With those last couple posts I am now current. I'll keep everything updated as I move forward but this is going to be a slow build. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thursday we had a pretty serious storm blow through and while picking the kids from school my son asked "why did I just get wet"? I noticed I had water running down the A-pillar on my side and in front of the visor on the passenger side. During our last trip we had a few tight trails and I was concerned that something was damaged and I wasn't aware. Everything looked good after a quick look in the rain.

So today I decided to get out there and clean everything up and discovered the sunroof appeared to be setting a little low compared to the roof line. I started with cleaning the areas where the sunroof seats on the roof and the actual rubber seal. Next, was cleaning out the old grease and any debris that might possibly cause problems.

After the above was done I found the screws on the sunroof that allowed me to adjust the glass to fit the lines of the roof. Raising the rear of the sunroof allowed easy access to the adjustment screws. Each side of the sunroof has a bracket in the front and rear with a medium phillips and a T25 torx. The torx screw was really tight and hard to loosen but can be done and pushing up on the sunroof while tightening will hold the glass in place. Here are a few pics of the work done.

Before cleaning the rail up. Looks like the cable is wearing out.

After cleaning up.

Adjustment screws on the rear passenger side.

Before making any adjustments.

After adjustments.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine is the same way! I've been meaning to look for a way to adjust it. My sunroof leaked the other day where the seam for the plastic shroud meets at the front. I definitely need to adjust mine up like that so that water doesn't pool at the front.

Thanks for posting this!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Mine is the same way! I've been meaning to look for a way to adjust it. My sunroof leaked the other day where the seam for the plastic shroud meets at the front. I definitely need to adjust mine up like that so that water doesn't pool at the front.

Thanks for posting this![/QUOTE

No problem, glad it was helpful. That's the only reason I throw this stuff out there.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Hit some trails in the Ouachita National Forest with a couple friends.

Any clue where this rock formation is?

Sunroof problems seem to affect all 4runners at some point. My 4th gen has been to the dealer once so they could replace the tracks on both sides. There was a TSB for that, and it was still under warranty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Any clue where this rock formation is?

Sunroof problems seem to affect all 4runners at some point. My 4th gen has been to the dealer once so they could replace the tracks on both sides. There was a TSB for that, and it was still under warranty.
Josh, Hope this helps.
34.863393,-93.034523
Google maps has the road listed as Forest Rd. 793/Co Rd 187

Couple more photos of the area.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes, please keep posting. I'm watching :D
LOL, thanks Jordan. Hoping the build will pick up speed soon. I have a couple projects I would like to work on but don't have the welding skills. I'd like to put together some mild rock sliders, possibly just square tubing attached to the frame. Also, mounting a winch in the front bumper is something I have been dwelling on. :saw:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Was headed to work this morning and saw your 4Runner at some building parking lot off of shackelford, on the 430 side. You work up there?
The wife started working there a couple weeks ago and she drove the Runner today so I could change the oil in her ghetto sled (read black Tahoe) but I do work just over the hill. She said she was getting looks. :rofl:

Perfect, thanks! :kewl:
Josh I have to ask, anything special about this area?? Also, if you make it out there I would be curious to know if the gate is open. On my last trip the plan was to follow that Rd. through back to the main road. It looks like it could be a nice trail once you get back in the forest a little with a couple water crossings but the dang gate was closed.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Josh I have to ask, anything special about this area?? Also, if you make it out there I would be curious to know if the gate is open. On my last trip the plan was to follow that Rd. through back to the main road. It looks like it could be a nice trail once you get back in the forest a little with a couple water crossings but the dang gate was closed.
Nothing special. I just wanted to add it to my "must see" list that I have collected over the years of exploring out there. I haven't really found a lot of rock formations like that in the section between Hwy 7 and Hwy 9

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Anyone curious on giving me their recommendations on tires? I still haven't replaced the damaged tire yet and have started looking at reviews to see what new tires I want to go with.

I thought about dumping the money and picking up some BFG MT KM 2's or Wrangler Duratracs and see how they do but since 90% of my driving is commuting to LR to work the practical side kicks in.

I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Nothing special. I just wanted to add it to my "must see" list that I have collected over the years of exploring out there. I haven't really found a lot of rock formations like that in the section between Hwy 7 and Hwy 9
Gotcha, it was a pretty cool area but you could tell it was a hang out area with all the trash and beer cans. It was close to a creek and people were hanging out swimming when we passed through.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
7 Participants
tchughes
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing