TTORA Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Gotcha, it was a pretty cool area but you could tell it was a hang out area with all the trash and beer cans. It was close to a creek and people were hanging out swimming when we passed through.
I LOVE these Cooper Discoverer A/T3s that I just put on mine. I've logged about 300 miles since Wednesday and they are great. They handle well, are quiet, and look good to boot. Might check them out. They're made in Texarkana, so it never hurts to help the local economy, either!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The wife started working there a couple weeks ago and she drove the Runner today so I could change the oil in her ghetto sled (read black Tahoe) but I do work just over the hill. She said she was getting looks. :rofl:
That would make sense why I didn't get a wave back when I saw your truck going home down 430 as well lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
That would make sense why I didn't get a wave back when I saw your truck going home down 430 as well lol
She only drove it today so if not today it was me being stuck up. :)

So does ARTTORA have meet n greets occasionally or just the events at the ORV park.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. It all depends. Usually we do it if there's enough interest.
Understood. I figure that is my best bet to meet everyone since I tend to stay away from the ORV park. I'll watch the events section for anything coming up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
When I bought the 4Runner the side of the drivers seat had started tearing as most 3rd Gen Runners have done. My intention was to get some seat covers but I never got around to it. I prefer the stock look as opposed to seat covers anyway.

I had a pretty serious sinus infection this week and wasn't able to do much around the house or to the 4Runner. So, after knocking a few things out around the house I decided to see how hard it would be to change out the seat bottoms on the front seats.

Removing the seat bottoms wasn't difficult but I found quickly that the passenger seat has a sensor that I assume is for the air bag. I decided it was worth digging in and pulling the leather skins from the foam and just switching the seat skins.

Once everything was free it was just a matter of pulling the copper looking rings that were holding it together. This turned out to not be as difficult as I thought just time consuming. While apart I put a piece of duct tape on the inside where the tear was for extra support and since the tear wouldn't be seen I simply covered the outside with duct tape also. This will eventually be covered with something more aesthetically pleasing but works for now and can't be seen.

I didn't take enough pics of each step for a write up but if anyone has any questions let me know and I will help where I can.

Seat was laying on the back.

Pulling the leather off.

Temp patch.

How it looked once done.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Even if you don't wanna do the harder stuff at Superlift, there is plenty of 2s and 3s to do.

Razorback Ramble is the first weekend of June. You should come if nothing more than to hang out Saturday night and meet some peeps. A meet and greet would be nice, but most of us are scattered across the state... and Memphis... A simple majority live in Central Arkansas, so that'd work best for a get-together.

The big news is that I bought a twin to your 4Runner today. I'll post up specs tomorrow when I get a chance in the WTB thread I started.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Even if you don't wanna do the harder stuff at Superlift, there is plenty of 2s and 3s to do.

Razorback Ramble is the first weekend of June. You should come if nothing more than to hang out Saturday night and meet some peeps. A meet and greet would be nice, but most of us are scattered across the state... and Memphis... A simple majority live in Central Arkansas, so that'd work best for a get-together.

The big news is that I bought a twin to your 4Runner today. I'll post up specs tomorrow when I get a chance in the WTB thread I started.
Jordan thanks for the input. I may see about visiting the park and meeting up with everyone at the Razorback Ramble. You never know, I may be able to persuade some of you over to the Overland arena. :)

What are your plans for the 4Runner purchase? I'll be watching here for a build thread.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
There will be no build thread. It was built by the Japanese in Japan in 2001, and that's pretty close to how it will remain :D

Aside from a plan to change the tires and rims as well as continue the OCD maintenance, that's about it for the 4Runner. I already have one 4Runner that takes all my money. I can't afford two and have no desire to try to afford two 4Runners being modified for the trails :eek:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
While I was lurking through the forums and trying to decide exactly what course I would take with the 4R I came across a few Mods that were being done to 3rd gens. I decided to give this one a go.

The TRAC/VSC or also knows as ATRAC on the 4R attempts to act like a limited slip diff. When the ECU senses a wheel starting to slip it applies the brakes to that wheel forcing power to the other wheels. I believe the 2WD models came with and override switch but this was not included on the 4WD models. This mod was originally performed under the hood and it would also override the ABS brakes, which could be dangerous. The new "Andy Mod 2.0" allows you to disable TRAC/VSC and the ABS brakes controls remain intact.

Since I spent a few years installing car stereos and alarms system it doesn't bother me to pull the dash apart and find the wires needed to perform these mods. I want as many mods as possible to appear OEM so that they blend well and don't interfere with the function of the 4R.

Since the mod only requires the momentary disconnect of a certain wire I decided to go with a Toyota factory switch. I wasn't able to find a rocker switch I liked so I decided to go with a TRAC button from a Toyota Avalon.This is a push and hold type switch, which when wired with a 12V relay allows me to momentarily disconnect the red wire with black tracer and turn off TRAC/VSC. The only drawback to this mod is that it will require a restart of the vehicle to re-enable TRAC/VSC.

In the last two months we have had a total of 14 inches of snow and this have given a real chance to play with this mod. During a recent snow I allowed my daughter to drive in a vacant parking lot with a minimum of 6 inches of snow. I started her off in 2WD with no TRAC/VSC and with her lack of experience she spun each time she applied the gas. Next, she tried 4WD with no TRAC/VSC and had better results but still was able to spin the tires. Finally, she went with 4WD and TRAC/VSC on, which allowed her to pull away with almost no tire spin. I also had her make extremely sharp turns and apply gas which resulted in slow easy turns. Of course we did put it back in 2WD with no TRAC/VSC and drift across the parking lot a few times so she could have fun. :D

12V 5pin SPDT Relay

Andy Mod 2.0

Pardon my stuipity on this but how did you wire that switch up with the 5-pin relay?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
thenexus,doable,
Work has kept me pretty busy and I haven't been on the forums much recently. I will get the information you inquired about in a couple days. :)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
7 Participants
tchughes
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing