TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the signs of a bad PS pump? I mean the signs that tell you that it is beyond repair. I just put the rebuild kit in and the shaft has already stretched the seal. Seems to me that the shaft or sleeve has worn down and the the tension on the belt pulling sideways on the shaft has deformed the seal. It doesn't leak when it doesn't have any tension on it, only when the belt is on. I drove 200 miles last night with no PS just so I wouldn't have to put up with the leak, and the whining. The question is, Is my pump dead?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By shaft bearing you mean the sleeve the shaft spins in?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I didnt take my calipers or micrometers out. The shaft has between 1/8 to 3/16th's inch push and pull play in it for sure. Not sure on the sleeve and shaft itself. I put the rebuild kit in it hoping to get rid of the whine and I opened a can of worms instead.

edit: Should I have flipped the vane plates around? I put them back in with the rounded face out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting a new pump today, so I'll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Damn that sounds like a lot. Maybe you left something out when you put it back together. How about that wavey spring widget and that large diameter thin O ring did you get that stuff back in there?

No hell no! Don't ever flip the vanes around. One end has a slight radius and polish to it and the other is sharp edged. If you get the wrong end facing out it will gouge the fuck out of the chamber and wreck the pump for sure.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt flip them around, calm down. :D Yeah I got everything back in. Orielly ordered me a screwed up pump so I'm waiting to see if they do it again. Threads on the shaft where beat up. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
okie
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing