TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody would be interested in going.I don't know if I will be heading out to the National TO in NM,if we could get a group of people to go here I would do this instead of TO.Mapquest says Tellico is
10 1/2 hrs and 639 miles from Cleveland.
more info
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57206
:driving: :camping:

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I have always wanted to go to Tellico.......I am interested have to wait till it is a little closer to know for sure.

On second thought my truck is most likely too old with too many miles to make the trip LOL

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
its def worth the trip guys. well, 11 hrs is a long ass drive lol. ive been 4 times and love it. hope to see some of you guys there;)

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
What to expect.

Here's a brief run down.

There are the usual hotels available on the Murphy NC side of Tellico. However Ive dont know of anyone who has come to the event and not camped. Even though its only in its 3rd year, its very easy to see the huge difference in the cameraderie and interaction since everyone is "forced" to camp together. There are cabins available as well, but when everyone is crammed together in tents its much easier to meet people and not miss anything. It really just evolved this way and seems everyone prefers to camp together.
We usually end up with everyone around one camp fire :D its one big fun mess, last year the hot spot was Jack's RV and we tried to see how many people could fit under the RV awning. Good times and a great way to put names to faces.

The place is called Crawford's Campground. Its a private campground about 30 mins from the trails. Its a beautiful slow going (20-35mph) drive on the access road, winding through the mountains, so you shouldnt mind the time getting to the trails as the scenery is great. Crawford's , last I recall, is $7.50 per person per night to tent camp. $15 I believe if you want a spot with power and water if you need it or are camping in a trailer or RV.

There are shower houses, individual rooms, they keep them very clean, even on the busiest weekends the bathrooms are acceptable.
There is also a coin laundry on the grounds in the main building bath house.

Firewood is available $.50 a stick or BYOW.

This event is is a lot of fun, the first year we had 22 rigs, last year we came close to 40. We look forward each year to pulling in new attendees from different, further away, states.

As far as the trail riding goes, there is moderate, and there is you're kidding, you're going up that?

At a minimum I suggest sliders.

We usually have two groups, noob/moderate and extreme. From there we may subdivide to keep from having a trail jam.
Ive never run the hard stuff, but I know the moderate group is very patient and easy going. You may want to ease into Tellico Friday and if you feel the need for more go extreme Saturday. But its a big step up.

There are plenty of trails to fill the weekend and if you do run all you can their are some outstanding spectating spots for the gnarly obstacles.

If you forget anything there is a Wal-Mart in Murphy. Buy beer well before getting their as Murphy is a dry town, Im pretty sure the whole county is dry. The closest beer is in Georgia which is a good 90 min drive from Crawford's, one-way. And GA stops selling at midnight. So buy it before you get close to Murphy!!!!!!!!

BYOFood too. We do provided a cookout Saturday night though. Donations accepted IIRC.

I think the FJTT guys are coming....

Well I believe thats most of it, there will probably be a raffle of some sort. The event is still in its infancy, it will continue to grow and become more organized. Its still a blast and can only get better.

See my sig for the headcount thread. Chime in on that thread soon in the next few weeks so we know how many campsites to reserve and how much food to buy for the cookout.

If anyone insists on a hotel let me know and Ill get more specific info.

If I remember anything else Ill add to this post later.

One more thing, Crawford's has a nice rockgarden to play in.

Trail Pics

So much for a brief rundown :D

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info sounds & looks like good times to me

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WHAT?!?!?! You would miss Takeover?
Didn't see your name registered last time i checked:D

and driving 7-8 days would just about kill me it think even if Terry helped me drive i don't think we could make it home in one peice.Not to metion all the $$$$ i'd spend in gas.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
MapQuest says 600-690 miles for me depending on how I go........what is fucked up is the route I think should be shorter is longer according to mapquest.......

Either way I could drive down in a day and drive home in a day........it will suck ass but I did the 850 home from TO last year so I can do this........

It is worth it:)

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MapQuest says 600-690 miles for me depending on how I go........what is fucked up is the route I think should be shorter is longer according to mapquest.......

Either way I could drive down in a day and drive home in a day........it will suck ass but I did the 850 home from TO last year so I can do this........

It is worth it:)
don't know how much it would help but you could always crash at my place for a night.
I've read about Tellico for years and listened to Cope talk about how cool it was at TO last and some of the pics i've seen it looks like good wheeling.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
If you look Joe it is the same distance from my house there as it is from your house there LOL.

I agree about Tellico though........EVERYONE who has been has nothing but great things to say about it.

I think I will be able to go........I would like to get my 4runner sold then I know I will be able to.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So Joe, whats your itenerary (spelling?) for this trip?

I'll ask Mon about time off, hopefully no one else has already requested those days off
I'm thinking leave thursday may 31 come home monday sound good?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts