TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried searching this but couldn't really find any info on it. so save the "use the search" posts please.

i have a 92 toyo pickup sr5 sport. nothing done to the engine etc. last couple days my temp gauge has been spiking up to just under the redline while driving. needless to say i'm concerned about the engine seizing up etc. am taking it in to get an oilchange and a rad flush right away, but i'm honestly thinking the coolant system isn't my real problem. the guage will go up when i'm driving around at approx 70kph at 2k rpm but cools down when sitting at idle. isn't this kinda backwards? there is no airflow into the engine compartment at idle really, so if it really is a coolant problem then shouldn't it be getting hotter while idling? Also, the temp guage seems a little fucked up. it'll slowly increase till its right below the redline on the guage then suddenly drop back down about 1/8th - 1/4 of the guage then slowly climb back up. I'm not massively adept with a lot of engine mechanicals and such ( and even more lost when it comes to electronics), but if an engine is overheating would the temp guage peak then suddenly drop like this, even while just sitting at idle?

Am I essentially looking at a possible engine meltdown, or just a screwed up temp guage/sensor?

any feedback would definately be appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
hrmmm i guess i didn't search "hard enough" have seen a couple threads with "similar" problems. still tho, they don't sound quite like i've been experiencing. hopefully its just something along the lines of a fouled up thermostat.

also, i'm running the 6cyl 3vze engine not the 22re. does this change the nature of the fix at all or should a thermostat still hopefully fix the problem?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i saw that while peeking around a bit. wasn't too sure if the thermostats were even the same between the 22re engines and 3vze ones. i'll definately give it a shot tho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.