TTORA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I asked a while ago about revolvers and people sorta flamed me by saying that i'm crazy because on the street they will revolve down and lock and thus flex my suspension out on one side and make me wreck or something. I'd imagine you'd have to turn pretty damn hard for that to happen but anyways. It'd be tight if they had some w/a pin you could insert or pull out to release them etc. for trails. But i dunno. I'm interested as well!

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
synovus said:
Anybody have any experience with Teraflex's Revolver shackles? Pro's/Con's?
they don't make them for Tacos or didn't the last time I emailed them. the trick is to come up with some sort of quick disco for street/trail use. some fab shop in Tx was supposed to be working on like them for our truck.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hytenor said:
they don't make them for Tacos or didn't the last time I emailed them. the trick is to come up with some sort of quick disco for street/trail use. some fab shop in Tx was supposed to be working on like them for our truck.
I knew I was forgetting a question (whether they have 'em for Tacos). :rolleyes: Would using a rear stabilizer with quick-discos work in lieu of quick-discos for the Revolvers?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
synovus said:
I knew I was forgetting a question (whether they have 'em for Tacos). :rolleyes: Would using a rear stabilizer with quick-discos work in lieu of quick-discos for the Revolvers?
good question. I would think not since the problem is overflexing on emergency maneuvers or taking turns too fast. I don't think a sway bar would really prevent that but I'm just guessing. As suggested, some sort of pin type disco should work. Fab some up and let us know :D

·
Rock Vapor
170 Posts
Another thing about them is that essentially they are only designed to work when the resting shackle angle is close to zero (aka jeep!). I was looking into a set for my rear leafs, but my RSA is close to 45o and that would have resulted in the inside joint of the revolvers hitting the leaf on full compression. Thats a bad thing.

Spent my $$ on a PullPal instead :)

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hytenor said:
good question. I would think not since the problem is overflexing on emergency maneuvers or taking turns too fast. I don't think a sway bar would really prevent that but I'm just guessing. As suggested, some sort of pin type disco should work. Fab some up and let us know :D
Yeah, after posting I realized a sway-bar probably wouldn't handle the loads, just help a little. I'll be sure to let you know if I come up with a quick-disco solution for the revolvers! :)

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TMS2U said:
Another thing about them is that essentially they are only designed to work when the resting shackle angle is close to zero (aka jeep!). I was looking into a set for my rear leafs, but my RSA is close to 45o and that would have resulted in the inside joint of the revolvers hitting the leaf on full compression. Thats a bad thing.
Could that be avoided by relocating the rear shackle/hanger?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
In regard to that, though... isn't the polyurethane piece the limit of the compression on the shackle? See pic:

It appears that it would keep the shackle from compressing enough to possibly be hit by the leafs. Maybe not with the "stop" in the same position as for the Jeeps (like in that pic), but that's any easy fix (for Teraflex). From what I understand, the primary drawback is the possibility of the shackles opening too far during hard cornering, such as in an emergency situation. If the droop/opening could be limited/eliminated somehow then it seems they'd be much more suitable for the street.

·
Rock Vapor
170 Posts
Thats not what I meant. If that set up had a "normal" shackle the shackle angle would be close to 90 degrees or vertical.

If your shackle angle is close to 45 degrees, the entire lower portion of the revolver shackle will essentiall be parallel to the leafs under full compression and could bend them if you hit it hard enuff.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's why I was saying the polyurethane stop would simply need to be adjust to compensate for that possibility. Either that or you'd have to relocate the rear shackle hanger farther back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.