TG vs. Marlin

• Trail-Gear

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Marlin Crawler

Votes: 13 72.2%

TG vs. Marlin

9K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  hunter4runner 
#1 ·
k guys heres my predicament. i need a bumper for my runner, ive nailed it down to 2 options, the trail gear front #4. and the other is the marlin crawler with stinger. heres what i know about the 2.
1. Trail gear - $349 + $65 for delivery, made with cheaper chineese steel. however its DOM. and its 61 3/4" wide and i like this design better
2. Marlin- $419 + $45-$50 for shipping, made with more expensive american steel, however they are made with HREW (tends to be weaker than DOM) and its 64" wide.

Im so torn, either way im going to be doing some fabbing, and im not sure if ill listen to the winner, but i want some reasons why you voted the way you did and such so i can better form my opinion cause Ill be ordering tomorrow or thurs.

click on the names for links

#3 ·
i thought that as well, but i called marlin up this afternoon to ask about shipping, and width, and they agreed that DOM was almost always stronger than HREW, which is why i was confuzed. Im not planning on beating it to hell, i just need something that can take a winch, and take a few knocks.
but i don't like china. thanks for answering!

#5 ·
personally i would choose marlin only because of the difference each company has. trail gear has had a reputation of steeling other peoples' designs:2cents:

but thats not saying i wouldnt buy from trailgear. but if another company had the same product for close to the same price i would choose the other company

#6 ·
I wont get into the DEBATE!

I like the TG one.

Nothing on my Rig was DOM I never had a problem, not saying that the way it should be. You do with what ya got. I guarantee the HREW will stand up 10x to what a factory bumper will take. If ya wanna spend the extra money for DOM go for it that's up to you. My cage is HREW some people would say I would never trust my life to HREW, of course they didnt have a cage. :rolleyes:

I guess what Im saying is any protection is better protection.

#7 ·
Marlin as far as looks imo. I like the blocked-off stinger look :2cents:.

#8 ·
According to Marlin's site, their HREW is stronger than the "competitor's" DOM... which I assume is TG... who knows. :rolleyes:

I've purchased stuff from both vendors. It's hard to beat TG's customer service and low costs.... but it's even harder to beat Marlin's core compentacy in trannys, tcases and Toyota dedication.

I'm a Marlin fan. Go with what you like and what you'll be happy with and what your willing to pay for.

Good luck!!

#9 ·
I've purchased stuff from both vendors. It's hard to beat TG's customer service and low costs.... but it's even harder to beat Marlin's core compentacy in trannys, tcases and Toyota dedication.
Well said. It's a no lose situation either way.

#10 ·
I've already shared this with you, but here it for everyone else. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60158.0

I even like Marlin's design better after looking at both. There are only a hand full of things I'll buy from Trail Gear. The only reason I bought what I bought was because they were the right price at that time.

#11 ·
just based on the look of it, i like the marlin bumper better :)

did you mention you were a ttora member? sometimes forum sponsors will give you a little discount if you talk to them nicely :)

#12 ·
did you mention you were a ttora member? sometimes forum sponsors will give you a little discount if you talk to them nicely :)
I like the way you think!

#16 ·
Not to hijack but there's a dealer in GA? I need to start doing more research before ordering across the country.

#17 ·
PM Foothill Motorsports on Pirate. They have free shipping on Trail Gear stuff, and sometimes things are a few dollars less.

#19 ·
I'll never buy from trail gear again simply because I placed an order with them two weeks ago online and was sent an invoice with a shipping total of $122 then the next day I get a call from the sales rep. telling me the shipping was wrong and would now be $192 for shipping. I felt this was poor service and dishonest. I've ordered from Marlin and AllPro in the past and never had a complaint, but I'll never order from trail gear again.

#20 ·
I don't like how marlin did there direct pressure loading testing for the two samples.

I'd like to see them do a tensile strength test on the two and have a stress strain curve to go along with it. That would give me a lot better view on how much one bumper's material is than the other.

#24 ·
well you should know that 95+% of the world has no idea how to read a stress/strain graph. and honestly im pretty sick of seeing them lately so i could do without having see another one;)

#37 ·
#34 ·
Yeah YT can be rough. Congrats and please post some pics wen you get it installed. :cool:

#43 ·
As usual. It's mostly just people who wax there truck every other day and think they offroad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.