TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for putting on a great event! The rain and mud really sucked, but hey, you can't control the weather! I had a great time, and it was definitely worth the drive (15 hours).

And the best part? I got to go get even with Axle Alley. No carnage this time! Okay, I killed another tire, but that was about the extent of the damage.

I did get pulled over by the highway patrol just west of Phoenix. I guess he didn't like my feeble attempt at mud flaps. Can you AZ guys tell me how this works? Should I expect something in the mail? Do I have to send proof of correction, or just forget about it since I don't live there? The citation I got said it was unlawful to drive more than 20 miles without correcting the offense. Ooops.

Anyway, thanks for an awesome event. Look forward to visiting again.

Pics here: http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album142

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And came across an 18 wheeler ful of ham that burned to the ground. Just goes to show you that the carnage gods are always busy, be careful out there!

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ran across another automotive manufacturer testing prototype vehicles while most likely not giving shit back to our wheeling cause.

I would not recommend buying whatever pieces of crap they were pretending to wheel out there.

As for the H2, looks like the same one I found on the Rubicon blocking traffic. Stick to ramping the curbs at the mall GM.

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
"I did get pulled over by the highway patrol just west of Phoenix. I guess he didn't like my feeble attempt at mud flaps. Can you AZ guys tell me how this works? Should I expect something in the mail? Do I have to send proof of correction, or just forget about it since I don't live there? The citation I got said it was unlawful to drive more than 20 miles without correcting the offense. Ooops."

Hey Mike, it was great as always to get to wheel with the Nor-Cal contingent and hopefully I can get up to visit my Dad and you guys soon.

As for the citation, my guess is you probably got a written warning. Read it over carefully. I got one in the past and it was just a warning. They put them on file so if they stop you again and it's not fixed then you get a fine. Also, there should be a number on it to call if you have any questions.

Mad props to you guys for making the trip.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heatstroke said:
As for the citation, my guess is you probably got a written warning. Read it over carefully. I got one in the past and it was just a warning. They put them on file so if they stop you again and it's not fixed then you get a fine. Also, there should be a number on it to call if you have any questions.

Mad props to you guys for making the trip.
It was a 'repair order'. It said I have 5 days to provide proof of correction.

I took it to the CHP office down the street after work. The cop was really cool, and he said everything looked fine as far as he is concerned. He liked that I had fender flares, and at least made an attempt to cover most of the tread with the stock flaps. He signed off the ticket, hopefully that will be good enough for AZ. I am definitely not going to drive 2200 miles to get a farkin' ticket signed off!

The CA cop told me that they are generally cool with a vehicle if the tread doesn't hang too far out the side of the fenders, and if the mud flaps cover at least the top third of the tire. He also said they weren't really concerned about front flaps, even though stock trucks have them.

The AZ cop told me the flaps had to cover the entire tread, and come within 8" of the ground. Why a cop in AZ would cite me on the way home is beyond me. It's not like it's gonna generate any revenue for them, and I was on my way out of the state! I didn't argue though, that has never gotten me very far in the past. :D

Later,
....Mike

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mike said:
It was a 'repair order'. It said I have 5 days to provide proof of correction.
Sounds like the same thing I got once. I told the DPS dude that I was planning on building some removable flaps and I asked him about getting it signed. He told me that I could sign it, so I did, and I sent it back. Haven't had any issues yet.

later!
shane

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gambrinus said:
Sounds like the same thing I got once. I told the DPS dude that I was planning on building some removable flaps and I asked him about getting it signed. He told me that I could sign it, so I did, and I sent it back. Haven't had any issues yet.

later!
shane
You signed off your own ticket? Sweet! LOL!

Over the years I have had 'fix-it' tickets from several different agencies signed off by other agencies. My last ticket was from a local PD and signed off by a CHP. I'm thinking that the people who process all the paper don't have time to contact all the agencies involved and verify everything.

I probably could have signed it with some random name and badge number and never heard anything again, although I have had stupid crap like fix-it tickets bite me in the ass years later....

What I learned in AZ this trip: If the speed limit is 75 and there is an Arizona Highway Patrol officer doing 65, don't pass him and let him see your lack of proper mud flaps. LOL!

Later,
....Mike

·
Dean
2,585 Posts
PappaF2 said:
was that one of anthonys new 37's?
Cool pics mike. :cool: Did anyone drive the big waterfall on axle alley unassisted?
not one of the new ones. he got a new 37" spare and we cut the old Mud off just for the "f" of it :) so he could mount the new 37 on the old rim. That was the tire and rim that we mounted at the start of the Rubicon :) http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album96/abc
http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album96/abb
hella funny doing it again at camp..LOL
this time with a new 37" MTR

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Mike said:
Had a resuce mission the first night!
pics with a little more light ;)