TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My trips are as no where near as long as your in the mainland. So, pretty much 95% of every rig you'll find here have very little to no recovery gear. I've been contemplating whether I should buy a which, but there aren't too many extreme situations where I would need it. A good block and tackle would seem a lot more reasonable.

In my 4runner, I have the very basics.

2 First aid kits, road side emergency kit (not really anything for off road), a shovel, and a tow line. The tow line is a cheapo synthetic one, its already begining to fray after one use. It was the first time i used it and by the looks of it, the only time it was ever used.

I know this is an issue I need to fix, so I'm wondering what would the essentials for saving my ass, or a friend.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I'd get a couple of 3/4" shackles, 30 foot recovery strap with loops, and about 15 feet of chain with hooks.
And a HiLift.

That should get you out of all kinds of stuff.

You can add a few high lift accessories, like the bumper lift, wheel mate and the base (I'd build your own base). Add a good set of gloves and a shovel/axe.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd get a couple of 3/4" shackles, 30 foot recovery strap with loops, and about 15 feet of chain with hooks.
And a HiLift.

That should get you out of all kinds of stuff.

You can add a few high lift accessories, like the bumper lift, wheel mate and the base (I'd build your own base). Add a good set of gloves and a shovel/axe.
I'm actually in the process of making my chromoly bumper, its more like a half bumper. Very close to being done. But I'm debating whether I should weld on shackle mounts to my hanger, or somewhere on my chromoly bumper.

This picture is just a "sneak peak" of the bumper and was taken before my TG hanger was welded in. Now there are 2 more supports added that go from the bottom bar to the ends of the top bar.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much does the snatch strap cost separately? I could get some shackles from our shop, so those won't be a problem. I was thinking of getting like 4 or 6 shackles. My budget is very limited, but at the same time I don't want to have to buy anything more than once, or more importantly drive someone to the hospital.

What exactly are the differences between a synthetic which line and a high quality rope? Could a good rope be used?

Other than a come along, what about like a pulley? I know the millitary uses pulleys to get their huuuuuge hummers outa the sand and stuff.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
How much does the snatch strap cost separately? I could get some shackles from our shop, so those won't be a problem. I was thinking of getting like 4 or 6 shackles. My budget is very limited, but at the same time I don't want to have to buy anything more than once, or more importantly drive someone to the hospital.

What exactly are the differences between a synthetic which line and a high quality rope? Could a good rope be used?

Other than a come along, what about like a pulley? I know the millitary uses pulleys to get their huuuuuge hummers outa the sand and stuff.
The ARB snatch strap is about $77, give or take a few dollars. You can get a good one at most off road shops, or pickup one from Wheelers offroad.

A recovery rope usually stretches about 33%. Viking sells a fairly good assortment of them. Winch line stretches a bit, but doesn't rebound if I recall correctly.

A pulley/snatch block is really only useful if you have a winch. You could spend all day with a come along/HiLift using it as a portable winch.

·
20,355 Posts
X2 get a snach strap.

With a strap, recovery points front and rear and a few shackles as long as you are not wheeling alone you will be able to get out of most situations.

What spare parts are you carrying?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
X2 get a snach strap.

With a strap, recovery points front and rear and a few shackles as long as you are not wheeling alone you will be able to get out of most situations.

What spare parts are you carrying?
Spare parts? A tire. Like I said, in Hawaii, its sort of...impossible to be remote. You'll never be on a trail alone. How ever I do have more than enough tools with me. I think a friend may be able to hook me up with a winch.

If I do end up getting this winch, will I sill need the strap?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
YES, you should always have a strap. and for an ifs truck a spare CV axle.
I broke my CV axle the first time I took it off road. I was driving on lava rock right near the water, and I think thats where I broke it. Trying to get back to the road going through the sand I got stuck real bad. It was nearly stock with the exception of better shocks, but still, its a toyota. :D Instead of wasting money on my IFS, might as well do the SAS.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a smitty built winch. 8000lb capacity. 4runner is only 4000. Should be plenty strong, no?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Does the snatch strap work well when stuck in snow? Also, do you suggest carrying HD chains as well?
Whenever you get stuck you need to walk all around the truck to see what is holding you up. Before you attach a strap to it and start yanking, it would be a good idea to get rid of as much resistance as possible.

Chains are for static pulls where you put tension on the line slowly and don't yank on them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks, Im just trying to get some recovery gear incase I or a friends vehicle gets stuck on the roads.

I was helping a group of people try to get a uhaul off a rut, one of the front wheels dug in the dirt over a curb and is stuck. An F150 decided to yank them with a chain.. it just didnt look right when he mashed the gas.

Would this be fine for it? Chain

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Thanks, Im just trying to get some recovery gear incase I or a friends vehicle gets stuck on the roads.

I was helping a group of people try to get a uhaul off a rut, one of the front wheels dug in the dirt over a curb and is stuck. An F150 decided to yank them with a chain.. it just didnt look right when he mashed the gas.

Would this be fine for it? Chain
For something that can kill you if it breaks? I wouldn't be looking to Harbor Freight for chain.

·
7,735 Posts
Chain has it's place... but you just never yank with chain.. slow, constant pulls yes.. shock load, no.

Get good stuff and it'll serve you well for years. I picked up mine at a trucker supply place.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Does the snatch strap work well when stuck in snow? Also, do you suggest carrying HD chains as well?
A shovel works very well in the snow ;)

As far as chains, I wouldn't bother with them in snow. I can't remember the last time I did a slow pull with no shock load in the snow...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts