TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i'll start out with some great advice for cooking steaks... i've been having trouble finding the right temps using the poke it till you find it method .touch your fingers together and push on the meaty part of your lower thumb/palm. when touching index finger thats rare,middle is medium rare ring is medium and i believe pinky to be welldone.

however well this "off-hand" techniqu works i wasnt happy with it. i typed in how to cook a newyork strip steak intot he search engine and i found a great method. the only catch you need a didgital temp sensor with a heat resistant lead and probe, obviously. (target.. 15 bucks)

so the technique is to heat the grill on high heat (burnin and searing) and put the steak on for 3 min one side 3 min on other side. this gives you a great 3/16-1/2 inch thick grey meat and some nice sear marks... note: dont touch the damn steak while its on high heat. you dont need to check it. let the grill and timer do the work.

after your 6 min is up, put it on a low indirect heat... all we want is heat... no burn. an oven will work as well but the grill does just fine if you can find a low temp/no fire to burn the steak with, part of the grill. once its there stick your lead in, close the the thing up and let the internal temp get to 123-130, i pulled mine right at 123. i let it cool and rest for 5 min before i tore into it. and HOT DAYUM that was one good ass steak!!! couldnt have had it any better in a restaurant... hell i dont think i have!!

so thats my tip for a perfect steak... add your choice of marinade and or seasoning. if your a "BALLA" like sean.. u can use stranahans CO whiskey!

for marinades i've tried dr pepper and onions it was all right, i usually just use garlic, chyannepowder pepper and salt with some "E.V.O.O" to help it soak in and not stick to the grill.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Not sure what whiskey would bring to a marinade ... usually, you need acid to break down the connective tissue and base to relieve the tannins...

Marinade/not is certainly an argument, but you want a really tender steak, vacuum pack it in marinade for a few days .... mmmm

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very true troy i didnt think of it at the time. but id suspect with some healthy proportions of either red wine vinegar and maybe lemon/lime/orange you could do some damage to the meat! but i think there is a point wear you can do too much to a steak and tenderize it too far to the point of mush.. i like to know that im eating dead animal... im still young and dont have to glue my teeth in (unlike you and doug) so i enjoy it! haha!

·
7,735 Posts
My buddy Red used to get some good results marinating in beer. But I have bad luck grilling steaks, they cook too fast for me, I'm used to slow smoked chicken and tri-tip.

I've been working on a new grilling sauce using ginger, frozen oj concentrate, garlic, soy sauce, finely diced jalapeno and for the time being some off the shelf tomato based bbq sauce. I plan on getting the mix of ginger, orange and peppers, then working on replacing the off-the-shelf stuff with something from scratch. I've been working on this with thick cut pork chops with grilled pineapple on top.

To me, the key to grilling is the fire. I prefer to use chunked wood or charcoal, never gas or the oven. I also don't believe in microwaving the meat (or boiling it) before introducing it to the fire. GOOD food takes time to cook, no shortcuts should be taken.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I wouldn't knock the boiling technique - some of the best ribs I have ever had were boiled then smoked.
That only applies to meats that you want to cook all the way through. I would never boil a steak before cooking! Thats just cause I like it bloody though! I always boil my brauts in beer before I grill them. nothing sucks worse than biting into an uncooked braut! Ribs would be good boiled first! I will have to try that sometime!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Doug's new marinade is the bomb. If I remember correctly ;)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know my boss gav eme some good ideas for ribs, 12 regular buds an onion garlic some other seasoning and boil your ribs in that mixture...

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Oh, it wasn't much, and it had to be tried :D. I don't think it'll be a regular thing LOL...

It turned out awesome. Wasn't just Stran, tho, there was a little balsamic vinegar in there to balance the flavor. Me, girl, and my too-picky buddy all thought it turned out great. The JD/lime combo, not so much...would've been great with ribs, tho. JD is just too dark a flavor for what I like in a steak...Stran was just about right.

Ben I couldn't get your suggestion to work on my buddy's grill :(...ended up with steaks done medium instead :mad:.

But they were still good :D...

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
how much lime did you use? in drops? and what went wrong with the grill?
Very little lime...it was actually the JD that was overpowering. Not bad, just that JD is a much darker, heavier flavor than I think I really want on a steak. On pork or chicken it would be great.

I realized I should've pulled the deflector plate thingers off the burners before I cranked it up. It was like the heat was too even and not hot enough. On that grill, in that configuration, slow cooking on low heat seems to work best...that's how we've always done it in the past.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup you need to have a nice hot flame underneith to sear the meat into submission and get everything nice and crispy on the outside. if you were putting them over the flame guards it makes sense. i was only able to do one on my grill at a time b/c i have retangle shaped gaurd with an opening venting up to it and it seems like with the oil dripping off and all the heat direct at the steak it got it hot enough.

then i threw it directly over the cover away from the heat and closed the hood. waited for about 5-7 min and it was done!

also with that marinade using jd, i thinkt he reason being is regular jack tastes like crap (well to me know) its a dirty "color" in the pallete that is your taste buds.

i notice this alot when you use alchohal to cook you have to use good stuff. b/c you need the flavor! if you start wout with a good flavor and cook it down it will still be good. start with a bad flavor, cook it down its gonna be worse!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Smoked a whole turkey breast yesterday, best damn turkey I have ever had. I thought there was no way to improve upon the deep fried turkey, but I proven myself wrong.

Brined, spice rubbed, and hickory smoked for 5 hours. I was worried about it drying out, but i have never had turkey this tender and juicy before. Truly amazing.

I used a lime and chipotle marinade on a pork tenderloin a few weeks ago that turned out great (good eats recipe). I think the lime marinade would have worked great on chicken as well, but not sure about beef.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Um, you were shit faced and ate all the pineapple instead of the chops.
Dude, I'm serious if you want any of the oak chips from the winery to smoke meat. Don'd let Ike's PMS get in your way. If you're serious, let me know, since I need to know how much you want/need.

·
7,735 Posts
uh, I don't know why you brought Ike into this, but that phone call was too expensive (not talking about money either). Keep your wood, wine and whatever else. I'll make due.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
also with that marinade using jd, i thinkt he reason being is regular jack tastes like crap (well to me know) its a dirty "color" in the pallete that is your taste buds.
:rofl: Your new nickname is "Remy".

ie "Anyone can cook!" :lmao:

i notice this alot when you use alchohal to cook you have to use good stuff. b/c you need the flavor! if you start wout with a good flavor and cook it down it will still be good. start with a bad flavor, cook it down its gonna be worse!
Yeah...exactly. I like JD, but the flavor is very, very dark...molasses, leather, smoke. Great for pork and chicken, but IMHO too dark for beef, and I don't know that there's a good way to mix it to change the flavor...I don't think it's a good idea to try and change or hide the flavor of the base of a marinade, better just to find a different base.

The Stran was light enough to compliment the steak, with the balsamic vinegar providing some balance. Didn't hardly notice the lime in the JD mix.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts