TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
specs: 96 tacoma/3.4/5speed/sac'd/highpinion 44 with six lug outers/high steer/35" tires/t100 rear/4.88 gears f&r

originally started with leaf springs in front, at 60-68 the front end seems to have a bounce(not major but enough to be redicously annoying)

since have gone to a modified 3 link setup, all new links, new ball joints, everything appears to be tight. Different dana 44 and 3rd set of rims and tires and its still there..

the only thing i notice is the camber(the tops of the tires lean out quite noticeably). so my question is, could this be the reason?

my thought is the truck is light for this axle and any off alignment issue causes this..Anyone had similer issues or know whats causing this please help, i had to shave my head so id quit pulling my hair out.:confused:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
specs: 96 tacoma/3.4/5speed/sac'd/highpinion 44 with six lug outers/high steer/35" tires/t100 rear/4.88 gears f&r

originally started with leaf springs in front, at 60-68 the front end seems to have a bounce(not major but enough to be redicously annoying)

since have gone to a modified 3 link setup, all new links, new ball joints, everything appears to be tight. Different dana 44 and 3rd set of rims and tires and its still there..

the only thing i notice is the camber(the tops of the tires lean out quite noticeably). so my question is, could this be the reason?

my thought is the truck is light for this axle and any off alignment issue causes this..Anyone had similer issues or know whats causing this please help, i had to shave my head so id quit pulling my hair out.:confused:
I don't know what you mean by bounce-wobble. Sounds kind of like bump steer. What does your steering setup look like? Is it the same from leaf sprung setup? What is your castor angle (knuckle rotation)? Your tires being 'out' at the top can be fixed with angle plates. As far as the truck being 'lite' for the axle, my waggy D44 came with waggy springs which I promptly flattened and neg. arched with my D-Cab on them, kinda figured I was heavier than the Wagoneer w/V-8 that those springs had lived with for 20 year prior to me using them.

Pics of steering and better description of problem....

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Mines got a little of that around 60-65. I fixed it by keeping it under 60 or over 65.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
definatly not bumpster, had a samurai that had bump steer and rolled it because of that.. at 60-68 it shakes you quite noticeably(not a vibration, a shake) and sticking my head out the window you can visibly see the bouncing of the front axle.. caster is at 4* and toe is a just over 1/8 in. but when looking from the front it looks like this \ /

1 - 4 of 4 Posts