TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 538 Posts

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Awesome. Just did it and you can really feel the difference. Less gas used to acell and keep the speed, doesn't shift out of overdrive on the upgrade to my house )before it used to) and even off of a stop sign, I stabbed the gas to see the power increase. Instead it lit up the tires. Before it barely would.

I'll post MPG changes soon. On a recent tank I got 17.9mpg doing about 60 miles or so street, the rest 75 on the highway with a dirtbike in the back, tailgate down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ok just want to get this straight, so you drive normally with the deckplate open? then if your wheelin, in water or dust or soemthing you screw it in?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Correct. The reason is so the intake can take in more air....and then you have the safety of plugging it up so it makes it harder for dust and water to get in.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
BruceTS said:
I went one step further and added in an internal snorkel system, that is plugged during normal driving and deckplate out, then when I go offroad I activate it and screw in the plate.

Do you have any write-ups for your internal snorkel?

·
Registered
356 Posts
one question....where is the best place to cut the whole for the deckplate in the 98 2.7l airbox.... it just seemed to me that the front of it wouldnt be all that great because of how confined it is....

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Ripcurlsurfin96 said:
one question....where is the best place to cut the whole for the deckplate in the 98 2.7l airbox.... it just seemed to me that the front of it wouldnt be all that great because of how confined it is....

There really isn't any other place to cut it? Airflow is fine in that area. I cut mine in the front and a little off center to the left....so it would be easier to screw in becasue of the Winshield Fluid Reservior.

·
Registered
315 Posts
What if you cut out the side closest to the drivers side?? If I remember correctly that side is obstruction free.

·
Registered
356 Posts
hawaiianbro said:
There really isn't any other place to cut it? Airflow is fine in that area. I cut mine in the front and a little off center to the left....so it would be easier to screw in becasue of the Winshield Fluid Reservior.
One more thing.... everyone knows about the "gains" in their mpg.... i wont complain if i get these so called "gains" but what about those losses some people have said....that would defeat the whole perpous of why i would do this.... has anyone seen a loss in MPG?

·
Registered
356 Posts
NorcalPR said:
I havent. I've seen a gain of about 1 or 2 mpg.
ok...two more question... i think i know the answer but maybe u can confirm it for me..... does it really make a difference with a flowmaster on it (better sound)?? and can u actually hear it sucking like the K&N FIPK?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
A good comparison is when you get on the gas, or past 1/2 throttle, it sounds like a BMW with a inline 6, loud though.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Ripcurlsurfin96 said:
ok...two more question... i think i know the answer but maybe u can confirm it for me..... does it really make a difference with a flowmaster on it (better sound)?? and can u actually hear it sucking like the K&N FIPK?
You can definitely hear the sucking sound, and I was blown away by the difference this inexpensive mod made. I'm a newbie, but I would highly recommend this! Don't know about the flowmaster.

·
Registered
178 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
Can I get one these deck plates at Lowes or Home depot?? I dont think there are any marine stores where I live.
I don't know about Home Depot but i do know that you definitely can't at Lowes so i'll guess that HD is the same. I had the hardest time finding a deckplate myself. I went to the local marina where i go to school and asked for a boating equipment store, and i got a bunch of blankstares ... then when i finally found two stores, both people i asked for 4" round deckplate from had a look on their face as though i was asking a calc question. I finally found one up in Chicago at a boating store there. There is the possibility of ordering one too, which is what one of the "townies" *shudder* here suggested. I don't know of any online vender off the top of my head but if i come across one i'll let you know.

*edit*found this link for you http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearch?keyword=deckplate&advanced=YES&searchDeptId=24

·
Keyser Soze
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WILD YOTE said:
Can I get one these deck plates at Lowes or Home depot?? I dont think there are any marine stores where I live.
Probably not, it's a pretty specialized piece of equipment and I wouldn't expect a home improvement store to have them.

I you are absolutely certain that there are no marine/boating supply stores in the neighborhood you can still find deckplates on sale online.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
The Marine stores I went to didn't have any deckplates. It took about 2 weeks for mine to be shipped in. But they gave it to me because I came in every day looking for it!

1 - 20 of 538 Posts