TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to run some Hammer trails last weekend with the Rugged Rocks Nissan 4x4 Club. We ended up running trails on Saturday (Chocolate Thunder, Claw Hammer, and Sledgehammer) and Sunday (Aftershock). Oh, a few rigs went up Nightmare and some of the bigger built rigs thrashed around on Backdoor for a bit too. Some sample pics...

This kangaroo rat hung out with us around the campfire on Friday night

My videographer made it out for Saturday's trails, but not Sunday, so no footage from Aftershock at all.

Aaron & Natalie

Kenny's lightweight buggy on 37" stickies.

Steve-O doing work in the rocks

The other Yota that showed. This guy got through everything really clean. :cool:

The token Jeep

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More...

Aaron

The buggies and the Jeep on 42's decided to run up Nightmare...

That resulted in a 3-hour recovery to get them out of places like this

this... (a brand new custom $150k rock buggy - with no winch) :doh: :dunno:

and this

This guy in the older Yota went up Nightmare by accident, not realizing the rest of us in the smaller builds went out the end of Claw. I spotted him out Nightmare, and he ended up rolling through it without incident.

After we went back out and across the lakebed Aaron managed to get his Nissan up onto the "waterfall" at Backdoor... but then the auto trans started puking ATF and would not move the truck forward or backward at all. So we yanked him down off of it and bailed for camp.

And the ice cream man brought ice cream sandwiches right to camp!

Here's a video of just some Zilla footage I threw up on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slwa7dI8Ssc

Still gotta go through the rest of the vids.

Had a great time out there, aside from the dusty camping, as always when it comes to Johnson Valley. Zilla went through everything under her own power out there, never needed to pull line or get on the strap, which was great. Oh, and nobody broke anything - at least not anything important enough to end their wheeling for the weekend, so that worked out great!

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Good stuff, how many trails did you hit the first day? Looks like you covered a lot of ground.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Started in the am on Choc Thun, then ran out to Claw and recovered the buggies and Jeep on Nightmare, then back across the lakebed to play at the entrance to BD, but not run the whole trail, then we chilled at camp for some beverages and grub, then went back out to hit Sledge finishing the last half as a night run... So I guess you could call it 4 trails on Sat. Covered some ground, but for the most part we were able to keep everyone rolling (aside from the detour on Nightmare).

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Started in the am on Choc Thun, then ran out to Claw and recovered the buggies and Jeep on Nightmare, then back across the lakebed to play at the entrance to BD, but not run the whole trail, then we chilled at camp for some beverages and grub, then went back out to hit Sledge finishing the last half as a night run... So I guess you could call it 4 trails on Sat. Covered some ground, but for the most part we were able to keep everyone rolling (aside from the detour on Nightmare).
Nice, by "claw" do you mean clawhammer? or Turkey claw?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Claw Hammer... Nightmare splits off up a canyon that goes up and to the left as you near the end of Claw Hammer. I've never been to Turkey Claw, which is in a totally different area. Maybe next time for that trail!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like one of the driest places on the planet,,,

also nice photo of the Kangaroo Rat Scat!

K-ton
Silly Chef... K-rat scats are cylindrical, not flat like mini cowpies. And yes, SoCal camping to go wheeling pretty much always brings on the suck in my experience -- at least compared to the other places we go like Colorado, Moab, NorCal, etc. With the exception of Big Bear, pretty much everywhere else I've wheeled and camped in SoCal is a dried out moonscape. Truckhaven, Anza Borrego, Johnson Valley, Calico... it all kinda sucks by comparison for camping IMO. Tough to beat the wheeling (# of good trails) in JV though.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I stitched together another couple vids from last weekend on Chocolate Thunder and Claw Hammer... Too much footage of stop-and-go, realigning, boring action that I could barely sit through at real speed, so I decided to leave it all in and go 4x speed as an experiment on these 2 vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjg-U6MgK9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycgQfCP4EIs

Didn't really like that, so I cut out a bunch of footage entirely for the next video and left it at real time playback speed. This one is from the lower part of Sledgehammer... before we ran out of daylight. Last one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YVZsm-fHtY

See you next time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
Stealth 4x4
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing