TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
I wonder if they will touch on resistance gun welding! aka... Spot or pinch welds. I worked with these monsters for may years. Very physical work, 80-120 welds, per car seat.... some "hot" (critical) welds some "cold" (tack) welds. You can aim these things just right, to throw sparks right up the ass of the guy working beside you or better yet the forman walking down the isle :xdevil: I don't miss that work. it really beats you up. ;) now most of them are glued to bling robots. Now I baby sit automated press welders and robots MIG welders...... royal pain in the ass.
Still love welding my own stuff! Other peoples stuff...... not so much!

Ya! I'll be watching ;)

http://www.welding-machine-gun-process.com/a-gun-suspension-type-water-cooled-pneumatic-welding-guns.htm

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I watched a history of something (either trains or ships maybe) on the History channel a year ago. The neat part was making I-beams back in the day and the different ways the went about welding through the years. I think welding made up a good 30 mins of the show. very very interesting.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
bumpity bump, its on right now

·
Registered
969 Posts
turns out I can't get it, I get the other History channel :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
damn, its purty interesting

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
im suppriesd they left out lincolns new pipeline welder.. i got a chance to check one out in person.. the wire was about the size of a pencil, welding a 3 inch thick pipe together with no sparks or smoke.. used some kind of gravel to shield it that was sucked up as it turned. i had no clue it was welding except for the slight arcing noise and seeing a bead come out the other side.. very imperssive stuff!

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Sounds like of flux. Like the stuff used for really heavy metal fab like bridge sections and big ass earth moving machines. Huge ass automated MIG machines with that kind of solid pelleted flux dispensed instead of shielding gas and picture perfect welds on steel measureing inches thick. Simply Amazin.
I saw a piece on History Channel the other day where these guys spent something like 30 hours stick welding on one weld on a building project. That's a whole lotta sticks. 30 hours? Dayum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts